Monday, 9 March 2009

Monday 9th March 2009

Hello to you all from a wet and rainy Field Base. My name is Natalie and I am the field base medic for this phase. Amy and Julian have gone on a road trip to visit Alpha 5,7 and 8 and Amy has entrusted me with managing the blog, along with others, in her absence. That may not be the wisest of decisions Amy but I will give it a go!

Alpha 1 and 2 our intreped trekkers have moved on to Los Patos and Bacona respectively, they both seem alot happier walking in the dry, those knees are taking a pounding but spirits remain on a high.

Alpha 4 are putting the finishing touches to their trenches and planning a weekend at the beach! How jealous am I.

Alpha 5 had a day off today in anticipation of Amy and Julians arrival who were loaded down with food, chocolate and post from home.

Alpha 7 are now back in El Galope, where the original A7 were (including me) to finish off those wells, they are looking forward to moving alot of bricks.

Alpha 8 are now in full painting mode after their day off yesterday.

Alpha 9 are still carrying wood to make those vertical struts.

Life at Field Base is very quite people wise with only 2 of us here, and it's my turn to be on radio duty tonight so I need to go and prepare/make my bed in anticipation. I hope all the groups will be calling in with more news of their progress but hopefully not too early!

39 comments:

  1. To hana damirji
    moving bricks? my oh my. hard physical labour - that'll do you good...gah the youth of today...(sorry am feeling strangely old and grumbly! although actually not...hmmm i really am odd) so hana hana hana...i miss you SO muchly. and have sent you about 50 emails. well, maybe not quite that many. but at least 3. ho hum. I really should be writing my essay by now. grrr. it's funny how much i resent work considering i voluntarily came to university...I met my future housemates - one of them is 26! and the next nearest to age is 21...i'm the baby. anyways, back to the grindstone...ooh! and did i tell you - i've started sign language lessons! i've done 3/6 lessons. i can tell you all sorts of things - where i was born, my name, my birthday, where i live, what i study, the time, my family...it's grand. and 'politics' is like that tom look-a-like's dance moves - like milking something
    love you lots
    emily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily,

    Hip Hip Hooray!! Your offer from Leeds arrived today, so you are going to have to make a decision between there and Barts. Official Ucas notification hasn't arrived yet, so you have a bit of time. Mum will try to get in touch via satellite phone if you need to make a decision before you are back from your trek. Well done my my beautiful flower. Love and hugs and kisses.xxxDad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dean Alpha4

    Well done with all the work you guys are doing.
    Enjoy the beach!!

    Love Mom&Dad&Ewok

    ReplyDelete
  4. Habibti Hana,
    How are you sweetheart? We are all missing you here. We've been following your progress through the blog. You must have very strong muscles by now. What, with all the stuff you've been carrying.
    Nun, I just spoke with someone at the AUB. The will accept you as long as you get your application in by the 30th March. It could be done by email. All you need to do is find your way to an email cafe and fill the application. The wed site is:
    www.aub.edu.lb/cames
    I'll send the details again to your email address. please check your email asap.
    Dad is still away. He should be back on Thursday. Moody,Teta and Fafa send their love. Hayati, missing you alot and looking forward to hearing from you very soon.
    Lots of love and kisses,
    Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well at last Natalie we see you writing the blog, a bit short but for your first attempt not bad. sorry it's bad weather, today it's brilliant sun here perfect for walking 4 dogs aren't you jealous.
    Love Mum etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tom P & Alpha 4 - A weekend at the beach in the sunshine on the Pacific sounds very good to me...............we are all so jealous but are sure you deserve it after all that hard labour in the trenches! Enjoy! Lol Mum dad and Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi(mark Alpha 1).Reading the latest blog it looks like you have been treking in the wet!I so hope your knees and back are holding upok?
    Off to uk tomorrow.Got cold play tickets today!
    I have to move the car!!!!
    Sent soo many emails!and sooo looking forward to talking to you on the 17th.
    Love and miss you lods,
    lol Mummy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sophie in Alpha 4,
    It is nice to read the blog and see what you are all up to.
    Hope you got the good news about your unconditional offer at N. You also received a conditional offer from B.
    Mom found your high tech, top of the line, no expense spared, brand spanky new jungle treking pants hanging in the closet with the tags still on them! Whilst they are completely safe from the mud, water and mossies of Costa Rica, Mom is making it her mission to get them to you, so don't be surprised if she wanders into your camp with them. We all miss you at home and can't wait to hear from you.
    Chris, Naz and Kruger

    ReplyDelete
  9. To Sophie F, Alpha Four
    Not sure whether my congratulatory blog post got through. Just to reiterate good news from UCAS, Nottingham it is! I'm having a slight panic in my last week of term here, too much to do and not enough time. Hope the beach trip goes well and the project was a success. I guess I should just give up on photos though. I miss you so much.
    Love,
    Alex X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marvin (Alpha 7 ) en Dion Poelgeest ( alpha 9 ),

    Hi boys, gaat die nog steeds daar goed! Ben even weg geweest naar Portugal met de heren 1 jongens van de golfclub. Een weekje getraind daar met echter wel wat slecht weer helaas. Maar dat mocht de pret niet drukken.intussen bemn ik en Jet ook verhuisd naar Brummen.We zijn afgelopen zondag met wat hulp naar een appartement boven de apotheek ingetrokken. Het nieuwe appartement in zzzzzzzzutphen is pas klaar over 2 jaar ,,,pffff.Zitten nu tegenover de 4 jaargetijden dus kan ik jullie in de gaten houden als jullie teug zijn...ha ha!!Opa Loekie is iets beter geworden echter kan nog teeds niet lopen maar praat al weer wat beter. Ik hou hem op de hoogte van jullie activiteiten. Bel me als jullie terug zijn in het basis kamp ??
    Groeten uit een nat en winderig Nederland.
    Erik & Jet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Alpha 7

    Keep it up alpha 7- sounds like you're doing a grand job building those wells.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tom 'Alpha5' Wright.

    Bet you didnt expect this coming from me sitting back at home checking out all that you're doing!! (SPYINGGG>!)
    You look like you are having an amazing time, Im so jealous Tom!!
    Hope you are well and enjoying every SINGLE second of your trip out there.
    I miss you so much Tom, you dont realise this until someone leave to go on an amazing adventure!!
    Well done with everything you are doing.
    Keep smiling and hold your head up high because you are making us so proud and happy to see that you are enjoying yourself so much.
    I'll write to you.. letter is on its wayy.
    I'll keep commenting on here to keep you updated on the deets in the world of Fenham.
    Love you Tom!!
    Hugs and kisses, from your crazy blondie,
    Emz
    (or Waldaz.. whatever you prefer..im guessing the second one.. haha)
    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alpha 9 Darling Huhu, we are all now back home at 51. And you know what, I don't want to leave ever again. CP is more of a hotel to me now looking back, and this is true home. Ayi loves it so much. Granny is staying in your room, and I have moved all your stuff to the large room opposite (my old office), and Chris the builder has moved a table in for you so that you only make mess in your room only. Hugo and Ayi is sleeping on top floor which is also rearranged.I am going to India this Sunday for a whole week with Nichola and Suzy and others. Natty has lost her job, so she is home a lot in case they need her. Caroline came in to see Hugo today, Nichola and Carolyn will come tomorrow. Hugo also loves ET and is a star in terms of being a good baby. You know what, my darling Huhu, when you are back, you must start to drive with me (to go to your swims?) while attending driving lessons. Hopefully you will pass your test before the summer. I believe that you want to drive a lot in America. Columbia has received the Teacher report 5B, and they wrote (sent to my address) to ask what you have been doing in your gap year while copied to Jane. I have replied on your behalf, since they could not get response from Eton address. Now all amended to your AOL. Few offers from UK unis. Hope your ankle is getting better. Do write to me as soon as you can, I will not check your blog next week, but can receive your email anytime. Shall try to write again before I go, take care, much love and hugs, Mum

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sarah
    Sounds like good progress if the community centre walls are ready for painting. Hope the second Alpha 8 lot are as good as the first! We can't wait to talk when you get back to field base. Andrew came to dinner last Friday. We inflicted old uni friends on him and he was wonderful in helping entertain them. He's more than ready to join you. Wish we were coming too. Mark arrives on 19 March - 2 days before I go to Chicago. Will let you know what he's up to! Lots and lots of love Mum x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Blissie,
    So I will give you the low down. Today we had a chamber choir concert it was so boring all we did was sit there and then sing and then we lost which was so annoying no wonder why ! They were really dreary boring songs. Not blaming anyone in particular…

    I am in the C team for netball which is really good and we came a tie. Not too exciting.

    Mummy [again] made some cakes , she did really well-NOT …( it took her 3 batches] and she spent HOURS on the decorations and in the end at the netball match everyone ate one and didn’t care about the decorations.

    I had a SAT test today in maths. I am so scared I am going to get a bad mark, Mrs.G will go crazy ,she’s just stressed BUT she’s still cool and funny.

    I am going to Osmigntion Bay soon and I cant wait. This time I am going to be a BIGGER daredevil then last time.Oh yeah !

    Oh I nearly forgot France - Woop. We are aloud to bring out DS’s which rocks, oh and I got “Guitar Hero” On DS Which so fun ..I cant to show you.

    LOVE YOU !!

    Someone..{Guess who}
    Okay here are some clues
    Begins with A ..
    Then M
    Then B
    Then E
    Then R
    Got it yet …

    Ambi..xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi James, hope everything is going well and you are enjoying it all! Looking forward to hearing all about it once you're back to fieldbase...in fact, not long now and you'll be able to have a hot shower! Can't wait to speak to you; I have so much to tell you especially about your pickle, so make sure you give me a call ok...it's in your best interest!

    My training for the half marathon is/was going ok until recently...had to have blood tests etc today at the doctors-will explain more when I speak to you over the weekend/beginning of next weekend.

    Have an AMAZING time James! Thinking of you as always. Loads of love, Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sophie, Alpha 8
    Well done all of you with your hard work. Soph. Will be great to have an expert at Finechambers next time we embark on the decorating! No news from Bristol yet, think you could be Exeter-bound. All well in Northumberland, we had a great week at the Stokers' chalet. All of us send lots of love, Mum x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kirsten from Alpha 1 would like to send much love and best wishes to her parents for their Wedding Anniversary.XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  19. HI Max B!!! I bet you enjoyed doing the painting, and you are welcome to graffiti my garage door at the beach when you get back! We are counting off the days til you come home to us! We miss you sooooo much! You must be getting excited about India on the 24th! I cannot wait to see your haircut!!! Lots of love, Mum, Dad, Girls

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, Keeks of Alpha 1.
    With F we had a Howgate dinner.
    I am just home from rescuing him; cycling to work he slipped at Fairmilehead roundabout and took a real tumble. Recovering with a study day! His exams are last week in March.
    We are going back to France via Milan 16/04.
    Great to see the photos on the blog pages.
    Love
    MandDandF

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Holly at Alpha 4. Do you ever see my messages? I see different ones up every day but mine must be so dull/censored?! Hope that you are surviving all this physical activity without decent work gloves. We had our first performance of Wild Wild Women last night - a great audience lifted the spirits but we will be knacked by Sat!Missing you lots and lots love M and D.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Heyyy freddie! alpha 4
    I miss you loads! i'm at boring school! You look like you have been working so hard...but you shaved your hair..why?! ha
    I am so jelous of you..you look like your having a amazing time! Any chance you get contact me! We have loads of fun plans for the summer...We might be going to Bali with the sandersons on a fun holiday! xxxxx love Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey all the original alpha 2's (Tom P, Max, Alice, Grace, Kish, Ivan, Emma, Caroline, James, Lisa, Ros, Viv)
    Hope you're all well and enjoying phase 2, looks like you guys are doing almost as much hard work as on the macho trek hehe. One things for sure it looks like its been a lot sunnier for you to begin with anyway, good for the tan. Tom, unfortuantely Fulham lost 4-0 to Man Utd in the Fa Cup which was not pleasant to watch but they are still comfortably placed 10th in the prem. Last night I had the immense joy of watching liverpool inihilate Real Madrid 4-0 in the 2nd leg. As for Wigan Ros their 9th but have lost 2 on the bounce. Max, the Knicks are currently 3.5 games back of the Bulls who hold the last playoff place in the East so with a month left could stil do it I think.
    So just thought id post something to say hi and tell how jealous i am to be stuck back in cold cold england when your all sunning yourselves. Missing you all lots and lots, stay safe, and good luck for the rest of the phase.
    Dan x x x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Jackie (Alpha 7) Hope you are all well and still enjoying your experience. We have been keeping up with all Alpha Groups progress and there is no doubt you are all doing a grand job in a good cause. The local people must be very happy with the work you are all doing. Vikki phoned today, she got excellent marks again and has to date, delivered nine babies.She told me they are now counting the days to their New York trip and I expect you are as well. I have recently spoken to Laura; her and Tom are fine and very busy. I don't know if I have already told you that we are taking Gloria and Bob to Vikki and Liam's for lunch on the 29th March; it is Bob's birthday that day so we are keeping it a surprise for him. We are looking forward to seeing Rambo (Vikki's dog )he has grown a lot since you left. Sax lessons are going so well, that I think I will have to buy a saxaphone when you take yours back! Andrew and a colleague are flying to Hong Kong this afternoon. We are looking forward to when you are able to send e-mails; not long now!

    Love you loads, take care. Mum and Dad XXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ha Joost, ben je nu weg bij je 'mama'die je lekkere kippetjes meegaf op de vulkaan? Het zijn hartelijke mensen, hè? Dan wil je ook wel graag voor ze werken. Ik begrijp dat jullie klaar zijn met de waterleiding! Mooi werk. Nu dus stenen sjouwen. Hoe is je six-pack? Jammer dat de bouw in Nederland stil ligt, anders had je deze zomer in de bouw kunnen gaan werken. Ik stel me voor dat je er inmiddels uit ziet als Niels! Muurtjes slopen is natuurlijk een makkie voor je geworden.
    Gisteren met bomma en bonpa naar een musical in Amsterdam geweest nog voor hun 55 jarig huwelijk. Ze vonden het fantastisch. Ik kreeg vandaag een bos bloemen als bedankje, die ik over twee vazen moest verdelen. Zo groot. Verder niet zo veel bijzonders. De mevrouw van de apotheek informeerde nog naar je. Hoe je het vond. Verder ga ik over een paar weken met de moeder van Dirk naar het museum en daarna gezellig lunchen. Rutger is druk bezig met de organisatie van de Rotterdamdag. nou, heel veel liefs en een big hug, mama

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Vee (Alpha 2), just caught up with your dad on the phone ....so interesting to hear what you`re up to and to see some photos on the blog page too...relish the experience, it`ll be over before you know it! Sending you much love, Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  27. HI ROS IN alpha 9,
    Daddy had the group photo of you all in the window up on his computer at work, and Will came along and said that that was his friend Titch's sister next to you in the photo,( with a white Raleigh T-shirt without sleeves).Being typical Will he couldn't remember her name, but apparently he plays tennis with her sister called Titch(only I suspect that's not her real name either),I hope you can follow all that!!! Lots of love Mum

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dirk Alpha 2
    Thnx voor je berichtje!! Ik vond het echt een super leuke verassing. Ik ben blij dat je verjaardag leuk was. Je foto zag er erg leuk uit. Ik ga dit weekend naar Zeeland met me familie en Sophie. Ik hoop dat ik je daar kan spreken, me vader heeft ze laptop bij zich en ik me mobiel dus dat moet lukken. Ik heb heel veel zin om je weer te spreken. Dikke kus! xxx T.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Bliss

    Not long to go now- can't wait to hear from you. Just seen Amber's message - what a cheekey monkey telling on me about the cup cake disaster. Turned out good in the end:-))

    Amber has got to dress up tomorrow for red nose day - just finished helping her with her outfit. Going as the mad hatter- got red wig, coulouful waistcoat, silly hat- Amber has stuck loads of jokes on to her waistcoat -looks quite good. I'll take a picture so you can see when you get home.

    Everyone is fine and misssing you like mad. We have sent Tom's birthday cards off and presents. Looking forward to seeing Tom too -Amber can't wait to see him.

    Uncle Paul is on Grand desighns tonight - going to watch it later. Will record it for you.

    Anyway Bliss - keep going , nearly at the end of phase two- we are proud of you!

    Love you lots.miss you loads and think of you always.

    Mum xDadx Amber x A big hug coming your way {{hugs}}- got it -good-luv ya darling!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. He die Floor(alpha 2)
    Woensdag avond een geweldige foto op de site.
    Zo kennen we je weer ,zwaar vervuild en stralend een heuse macho trekker ,het zal de kuitspieren goed doen al die bergen.
    Hoezeer maak je kennis van de ongerepte natuur,de enorme nationale parken,watervallen ,nevelwouden,watervallen.Ongelooflijk zoveel indrukken.
    Fientje vroeg zich af wanneer je nou eens met haar naar het bal gaat?
    Hou vol !!
    Verder hier alles okee.Heel veel liefs mama.

    ReplyDelete
  31. He die Floor,
    Woensdag avond een foto van je op de site.
    Zo kennen we je weer !Een heuse macho trekker,stralende Floor !
    De ongerepte natuur,watervallen,nevelwouden ,schilderachtige baaien maken ongetwijfeld veel indruk tijdens deze trek.
    We houden van je.Hier alles oke.
    Heel veel liefs mama.
    Fientje wil van je weten wanneer je met haar naar het bal gaat.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Rosie
    Hi Roo it sounds as if you are having a great time out there although it seems rather hard work as well. Life here is very boring by comparison to yours but all is well...dogs cats horses goats etc oh and mouse and amber...who keep escaping and getting into the neighbours fields. Miss you loads have fun take care and dont forget us all back here
    all love mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Dirk Alpha 2
    Ik had je al eerder een bericht gestuurd, maar die is blijkbaar niet aangekomen. Maar ik was zo blij toen ik dat berichtje van je las, echt een leuke verassing! Ik ga dit weekend naar Zeeland met me familie en Sophie. Ik neem gewoon me telefoon mee en me vader zijn laptop, dus ik kan je sowieso wel gewoon spreken. Ik heb echt heel veel zin om je weer te spreken. Ik heb vanavond een crematie, dat leg ik nog wel uit. Ik mis je, dikke kus! xxx T

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Liv (Alpha 1)
    Sounds like the trek is very hard. I'm impressed - and walking in the rain. Hope it's not too muddy. Keep going old girl! Katy's had an offer from Edinburgh so is going to visit with Dad next week. We're having a lunch party on 22nd for her birthday so hope you can send her birthday wishes as I expect you'll be back at base next week. Cecilia, Brigitte's daughter came to stay at the weekend which was very nice. We couildn't go and see Tina Turner because the tickets had been bought from an illegal website!!!!! We re-booked and then she cancelled! I've just got tickets for Michael Jackson next year. Everyone else is fine. Thinking of you. LOL. Mum XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  35. To Caroline Borstlap. Hey hey sgatje! Kben gisteren nog even langs het nieuwe huis geweest en het is echt zooo mooi!! Je papa heeft er weer zijn werk van gemaakt! Ik ga één van de dagen al een paar dingen uit de dozen voor je halen maar geen schrik hebben jij moet alles zelf maar een plaatsje geven ;) ik zet het gewoon al voor je klaar :) Verder loopt hier alles goed! Ik heb gisteren nog een brief gepost met een priorzegel dus normaal moet je die zeker nog ontvangen! Ik heb dit weekend twee wedstrijden! Nog een inhaalwedstrijd tegen ukkel en dan zondag tegen wellington! Dat zal beslissend zijn wie rechtstreeks stijgt! Ik laat je zondag zeker weten hoe het is afgelopen! Lieverd ik kijk weer al uit naar je telefoontje! Mis je enorm en verlang echt naar je! Doe nog alles super goed daar en ik draag je heel diep in men hartje!! Suuuper dikke kus!! xxxxxxx Hou van jou!!!! xxxxxxxx yeki

    ReplyDelete
  36. hey kishy
    I thought I would send you a message just before you finish your project! Sounds amazing what you and your group are doing! Can't wait to see the pictures when you get back! I'm also so jealous of your trip to the volcano!
    Anyways, I best get back to work :( I have another essay due in soon, but I don't know if what I'm writing is correct :(
    Have lots and lots of fun in your last week. You probs are anyways!
    Miss you! Bella.x

    ReplyDelete
  37. hi darling isaac!!!
    arsenal are 5th in the league, they beat west brom 3-1 on wednesday night!!
    so exciting to see your photos - looking very brown which I am exceedingly jealous about!!
    I hope the trek is going well!!
    lots and lots of love Jael xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Alpha 4

    Hi Dean! How are you doing bro? Getting on ok over there? I was in Italy last weekend and it was so nice and sunny. London is quite mild at the moment as well.

    Other than that, not much else to report. Its odd withouth you around, but I really hope you are having fun...

    Be safe and get in touch if you can.

    Love, Sis xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Message for Sandrine Paillasse: Hope journey not too exhausting and that you are acclimatising. Have a wonderful time and keep safe. Love, Philippa

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thank you for visiting our blog. Comments are monitored daily and we will ensure messages are promptly delivered to your loved ones. Please ensure you state the name of the person to whom your message is addressed. This is so we don't miss any out. Muchas gracias!

Pura Vida!