Hello there
All is well in CR&N and the groups are having a great time. Thank you for your hundreds of messages - for those of you worried that your comments aren't getting through, don't worry they are! Maryann has been printing them all and delivering them to the project sites. She will be out for the next 8 days visiting groups in Costa Rica while good old Bravo 1 is up seeing the groups is Nicaragua. As you can imagine, no one on the project sites has access to the internet or their emails so you won't hear from them until they get back at 'changeover' from the 3rd to the 6th of November. We are aware that we do not have any images from Alphas 1, 6 or 7 yet – apologies, we have a vehicle up there right now and hopefully they will be able to send us photos in a few days. Until then, here is a general round-up of what's going on in Raleigh Costa Rica & Nicaragua:
Alpha 1 - have passed the half way point! They successfully climbed Volcan Casita two days ago and are now in the sweltering hot wetlands of Puerto Morazon. The awesome Volcan Cosiguina is now in sight, while they pass the smoking Volcan San Cristobal on their left. A fantastic effort from all.
Alpha 2 - have also made it past the half way point. They had their 'half way party' while taking shelter in a local pulperia (shop) owner's back yard. They've had to deal with a lot of hills and rain, but the spirit in Alpha 2 is fantastic and they are soldiering on despite the weather. They are now on the Pacific side of the country, so I'm sure the coast ahead is motivating them to keep pushing on.
Alpha 3, 4 and 5 - see post before last.
Alpha 6 - have been digging, digging, digging... well, 3km of trench isn't going to dig itself! They are making great progress with their water project and have built the captation tank in addition to the graft. They are all living with host families in groups of two or three and are constantly grateful for the incredible hospitality they have been shown. Members of the team have been taking it in turn to teach English in the local school. For their 'day off' they walked up a big hill and spent the night there in order to see the incredible sunrise.... nice one Alpha Six.
Alpha 7 - have also made good use of their spades and mattocks, having dug out the foundations for their community centre. This also involved collecting lots of large rocks, sieving sand and mixing cement. Next, the breeze block walls will go up. To ensure that the work site isn't overcrowded, each day four members of the group stay away from the site and do a different activity, whether it is making tortillas with the family, working on the farm or teaching English in the local school.
We hope to have lots of photos soon...
Felicidades Pamela!!! (Alpha 6) Espero que este cumpleaños te acuerdes un poco de nosotros, deja de cavar vaya ser que encuentres oro, esmeraldas....en cuyo caso enviamelas a ayamonte, para peritarlas, un besazo, aure.
ReplyDeleteGordi, que todo vaya muchísimo mejor de lo que imaginaste, que te acompañe todo lo bueno y que lo disfrutes muchísimo, te lo mereces! Y, sobre todo, que encuentres lo que buscas (cavando....? ja ja) Te quiero enana!! Besazos y muchas muchas felicidades, echo de menos hablar contigo! Muak!
Holly (Alpha 6), Good to know that you are expert with a shovel now. I have a garden for you to dig out next! Getting cold here now and lots of snow in the mountains. Midnight and the rest of us miss you. Hope you are having a great time.
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
For Graham Smith Alpha 6
ReplyDeleteHi Graham just read blog update , lovely to hear everything going well, sounds like lots of digging! Sounds like your hosts are very welcoming which is good to hear.
Had good night last for uncle john 5oth, out thursday for martins 50th!
Went to see Laura sing on sat she was brill, and sends her love to you.
Look forward to seeing photos of your project, keep up the good work!
Lots of love to you, mum XXX
To Graham Smith,(Alpha 6),
ReplyDeleteHey Gorgeous!!!
So good to hear you're getting on well with the project, Im looking forward to seeing the photos! Miss you tons babe, hope your missing me too!
Started my GP placement on Monday but shes on holiday so they told me not to go back till next Monday so Im going home today to see dad and sara, then might go into bham to see Hannah tomorrw, coming back Friday for Jennys first year rep party!! So got a busy week. Then really looking forward to being able to hear from you when you get back to fieldbase next Wednesday! Cant wait to hear all about all your adventures. Bet its been amazing, hope you havnt beaten my mallorca tan though hehe (not sure if its been hot for you?)
Hope your host family is nice bet you'll be sad to leave them, wonder what the foods like?! Hope youve been using your spork hehe.
Missing you to bits gorgeous, Love you always,
Katie x x x x x x
Ps. Loved the letter you left where I had to answer (did it in my cutest voice!) xxxxx
Jan van Arkel Alpha 2 10 L
ReplyDeleteHe kerel,
Je bent over de helft lezen wij. Fantastisch om te horen ondanks het slechte weer. Wat een belevenis. Nu komen de mooie vergezichten betreft de pacific Ocean. Wij kijken uit naar je verhalen en naar je skype.
Nog even doorzetten. Misschien lees je dit pas als je er al bent. Super gedaan, een ervaring rijker.
Alles ok hier.
Veel liefs en een dikke zoen van je moeder.
Message for Amy Cooper
ReplyDeleteAlpha 2
Hi Amy
Hope the trek is still going well. It was good to read that you are past the half-way point and heading towards the Pacific. That will be a welcome sight! Just a quick message to let you know that Francis has sent your references now and Dad posted the applications today.
I'll let you know when there is any mail from the Uni's.
Will be in touch again soon.
Lots of love from Mum xxxxxx
To Cecilia Ruiz (Alpha 2)
ReplyDeleteFrom Jc
Niña, increíble la falta que me haces. Bueno, lo que me reconforta es ver que la estas pasando super! Te cuidas como siempre! Acordate de mi de cuando en vez y cuando te llegue a hacer falta, lee lo que te di. Besos y abrazos.
PD: también te mando pellizcos, mordidas, lambidas en los ojos y muchas cosquillas! =D :-* :x (L)
To Natalia Graczyk (Alpha 5)
ReplyDeleteHELLOO my wonderful friend!!! Finally I've seen a picture of you with the team! I'm v. happy now, and you look great in your walking boots and shorts! I miss you loads. I'm sure I've put on weight since you've gone - I think I've been trying to fill the hole you've left with gigantic bars of chocolate and M&S tins of biscuits. I even woke up laughing the other night because I was dreaming of us on a night out and you did something hilarious! Ah haha, good times!
I haven't got much news from home I'm afraid... Work's plodding along as usual. I had a parents evening last week, which went well! I've been upgraded to 'best friend status' with two of my two-year-old friends, Max and Patrick, so the three of us are having great fun. But of course there's no comparison - You are by far the funnest and bestest friend ever!
I wish I could hear how you've been doing. This blog is fantastic but I know you must be full of exciting stories of your own. I hope you're getting it all down in your journal! Have you helped any hatched baby turtles into the big open sea yet, whilst shedding a tear and waving your hanky at them with a proud smile as they swim off to start their life? Or have you frightened away any predatory birds hovering above ready to snap them up, by thrashing your arms around and screaming "get away from my babies!!"? See I have so many questions! I can't wait until I get a message back!
I don't know how long these messages are allowed to be so I'll save the rest for a letter, and I'll try to go out and do something exciting so I have some photos to chuck in there too. I love you loads, and I hope you carry on having lots and lots of fun - I know you will.
BIGGG HUG!
Love you
Soph xxxxx
P.s. I hear the tarps aren't up to scratch - sort it out!
Message for Naz Taner,
ReplyDeletePAUL THE OCTOPUS SADLY DIED THIS WEEK. The news made headlines however I hope he tasted good to some lucky sod.
England is cold and rainy and cloudy and generally the same as it ever is. David is coming up to my house tomorrow to go out with a group of rowdy Irish people and on Saturday we're going to a Zombie bar crawl. I GOT A JOB with an International Developement Charity as a Fundraising Coordinator so thats a bit splendid!
Over all we all miss you and we wish you would come home and tell us lots of exciting things about Costa Rica and turtles and then go back again, just pop back will ya?!
Your mum hasn't called me yet, shes either put off by my drunken state 3 weeks ago or totally fine.
Muchos Gracias and love. Yeah spanish aint my strong point.
R.I.P Paul and hope you're having a blast!!
Love you lots, Lucy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
28th October - Happy Birthday to Wellard ! (PM in Alpha 3). Have a great day with all around you - including the jungle creatures ! Thinking of you. Lots of love from Mum and Dad xxx
ReplyDeleteFor Natalia (Alpha 5)
ReplyDeleteCzolem Misiako,
Wczoraj odkrylam drugie zdjecie, z miejsca gdzie pracujecie, widac ,ze to co robicie was bawi. Juz nie moge sie doczekac Twoich opowiesci. Ciekawa jestem, czy zolwie boja sie Was i jak sa duze. Wczoraj Wiktor poszed do klubu i wrocil o 6 rano. Nawet byl zadowolony. W sobote idziemy do Jacka na Haloween, bedzie konkurs wycinania dyni. U nas wszystko w porzadku. Wyobraz sobie, ze zostalismy na 85 Pently Park do 10 kwietnia jak na dzisiaj. Wszyscy sie bardzo cieszymy a szczegolnie babcia bo po operacji wroci na stare smieci. U nas wszystko OK.Wiem, ze na poczatku listopada wrocicie do bazy, moze wtedy cos napiszesz.
Usciski i caluski od nas wszystkich,
TaMa+Babci+Wiktor i Oskar,Fizi i Oli.
Dear Andy Davies,
ReplyDeleteI hope it's going well and you're enjoying the rough and ready lifestyle, it certainly looks rustic from the pics I've seen of 'Alpha 3'! Your mum is missing you, does she know about this site?! I'll tell her about it! I've had a manic time, loads of interviews (good) still no job (bad) but I'm remaining positive. I have also written you a letter which I will send tomorrow. Hope the enforced teetotalness and vegetarianism isn't too tough, looking forward to catching up with you when you switch over.
Besitos,
Chess.
TO RAISA ARROLLO - Alpha 1
ReplyDeleteHOLA MI AMOR, ESPERO QUE LA ESTES PASANDO LO MAS BIEN POR AYA ,TE EXTRANO MUCHO Y ME HACES MUCHA MUCHA MUCHISIMA FALTA, HABLE CON LAU Y CON TU MAMA Y LES HACES MUCHAS FALTA TAMBIEN, PERO TODO BIEN POR CR,TE DESEO LO MEJOR MUA Y SABES QUE CUALQUIER COSA QUE OCUPES AQUI ESTAMOS!! TE AMO!
NOCHI
For Naz Taner (Alpha 5)
ReplyDeleteNazzzzzy! Hope you're having an amazing time - saw the photo of you and your group - looks like a great bunch of people!
You're not missing anything in London! it's turned FREEZING lately - so please bring the sunshine back with you in December?!
The uni crew met at Ann-Marie's last night for dinner and it wasn't the same without you!
Take care of yourself my lovely turk!! ;D
Enjoy every second! see you soon for a YOG sesh to hear all about your adventures!
lots of love
Chloe xxxxxxxxxx
to martin fallon alpha 6
ReplyDeleteno idea if you've got the letter or not...i doubt it. and be aware if u turn ur phone on you will be inundated with messages! hurry up and get to somewhere with internet! all i know is that you've been digging a trench for 2weeks, i need to know more! and more importantly, it would do me a world of good to hear your voice again, its been far too long.
hope your having an amazing time. if you do have any moments of boredom you could do my essays? no no? how rude.
ps... does wherever you are celebrate halloween? so excited to get all dressed up... zombie nerd, orginal i know. off to see a halloween fireworks special featuring jedward and joe mcelderry HA HA HA
love you.
missing you loooooaddddssss
xxxxx
Message for Jenny Loweth from Luke Malthouse :)
ReplyDeleteHi Jenniffffff!!!!!!
Its crazy you're gone and i'm not going to c u til June!! :(
Saw the pick of u and ur massive ruck and walking boots and just reminded me of horrible D of E times back in july! hahaa
Hope you're having an A-mazing time! and ofcourse i hope you r missing me more importantly?! HAHA
Missing you not being here and on my road trips to whitton - they're just not the same anymore jennif...
I've been working soo much - ASDA! going away 2 weeks today on nov 13th and i still have soo much crap to do. Got my ruck the other day tho and couple other things.
Loadsa love from me get in contact when u can :)
ur not missing anyhthing at home don't worry!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
To Sophie, Alpha 2
ReplyDeleteDag lieverd, jullie zijn aan de laatste loodjes bezig...Veel regen las ik weer, wel pech. Heb je nog iets droogs om aan te trekken??Hoop dat jullie als beloning ook even wat tijd aan The Pacific mogen doorbrengen om uit te rusten. Ik ben zo benieuwd hoe je dit hebt ervaren! Las dat jullie van 3 tot 6 november op de field base doorbrengen en ik hoop heel erg dat je dan een keer kunt bellen, of op z'n minst mailen. Ik verlang ernaar iets van je te horen te weten hoe je je voelt in deze mooie maar zware onderneming. Ben nu al benauwd dat je belt op een moment dat ik aan het werk ben en niet op kan nemen...Misschien lukt het, zou ik heerlijk vinden.
Ik heb een weekje herfstvakantie achter de rug, was even lekker.Ook een middagje met Jacqueline naar Utrecht geweest; we missen beiden onze dochter! Met dat verschil dat Jacq volgende week 5 dagen naar Laura toegaat haha. Gisteravond vierde Katinka haar 18e verjaardag en Kate had ook wat familie en vrienden gevraagd, mij ook. Was gezellig; ik zag trouwens Renee en Donata nog binnen komen.
Donderdag hebben John en Maud en de kinderen hier gegeten, en oma en Adriaan, nog voor Adriaans verjaardag. Max zei heel terecht: ' we missen wel iemand...' We hebben besloten dit jaar niet Sinterklaas te vieren- niet leuk zonder jou. We gooien alles op Tweede Kerstdag als je er weer bij bent schat.
Hopelijk hebben jullie een mooie afsluiting van de trek, die voor zover ik weet nog steeds geen naam heeft. En ik hoop je volgende week te kunnen spreken of mailen.
Dag dappere dochter, alle liefs van je moeder- en ook van de hele familie. XXXX
Gday Jay,
ReplyDeleteHope you are having fun, have you managed a croc burger yet or is it snake down there! Speaking of food son the house is full of the stuff its seems to a last a whole week now not just 2 days. Good news the Wallabies finaly downed the All blacks 26-24 about time.
Look after yourself.
Dad.
To Calvagh Mc Manus
ReplyDeleteHi Calvagh
hope you're having a fantastic time on the trek. Looking forward to hearing from you when you get back to base.
Love Mom & Dad
Jan van Arkel 10L Alpha 2
ReplyDeletelieve Jan,
De trek zit er bijna op. Geweldig als je het hebt volbracht.
Elke dag maar weer de computer openen hopend op een nieuw berichtje.
Super gedaan. Nu lekker relaxen.
Wij kijken uit naar je telefoontje of bericht en foto's.
Tot zo Veel liefs van de Julianaweg.
To Calvagh McManus.......HEY DUDE....Hope you are having the time of your life!!!! Lots of Love from home;-);-);-) mom, dad, Joshie and Bibi......
ReplyDeleteSimrath Alpha 7
ReplyDeleteHi Sime
Missing you for Diwali - on the 5th Nov - I am making gulab jamun and burfi today. We will be at Massi's - avnita is not coming home!! Looking forward to your messages and seeing your photos. Hope you are getting my messages - I can't see them so I wonder.. Dad is fine - will message you - take care and have fun
Love
Mom & Dad
xxxxx
Simrath Alpha 7
ReplyDeleteHi Sime
Hope you are getting my messages - don't see them. Can't see any of your photos, either. Getting a little..... Take Care
Mom