Thursday, 2 December 2010

Graham reports for Zulu 5 from Camaronal

Graham of Zulu 5 - probably the happiest venturer this side of the isthmus - reports on what the group has been getting up to in the first week of Phase 3.

We arrived at Playa Camaronal on Saturday night and we spent the night at the ranger station. On the first night, five of us were on turtle patrol and saw three turtles. Since then we've spotted leatherbacks the size of picnic tables. 

Jungle camp is looking really good although some of us need to improve on our bashas. We've begun building the path to the mirador which goes up a hill. Nelson, the ranger has instructed us to build rest stops because he wants big Americans to be able to get to the top. We imagine that it'll need several rest points. 

Recreational activities have been a combination of Mafia and salsa lessons by Raisa and Nelson. We've been dancing every night. Last night we learned a very sexy dance called the merengue. Tomorrow we're going to a waterhole near the ranger station for a dip.

We're having a smashing time out here. The work's great; Nelson has some grand plans for the mirador with talk of getting a McDonald's up there (he seems to be doing a lot for these big Americans), and we've got a great combination of PMs - James, Rachael and Carl. I didn't speak much Spanish in Phase 2 but I've been compensating for that by speaking a lot more here. I can already see another awesome phase ahead. 


13 comments:

  1. To Graham Smith Zulu 5

    Hi Graham,
    Just read your blog about phase 3 with the turtles. sounds like your having an amazing time and are very happy. Would love to see you dancing , maybe a demonstation when yoou get back ! Thanks for your text, it was great to hear from you, two weeks to go, looking forward to hearing all about your expedition. We all fine here, Laura says hi. It is so cold here , you will freeze when you step off the plane ! Had Dan round the other night, he needed to use our shower, cos he had no water. Martin had to go round and fix it ! Make the most of your last phase, enjoy every second. Love from us all Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Carla (zulu 3).

    think mum's gone a bit doolalee. awkward.....

    Had the opening night of my play last night. had a full house. THE CROWD WENT WILD!! Then went to the pub with the cast and fell over on the way home on the ice. Owwwww.

    About to do the second show tonight. Wish me luck.

    Hope you're holding up. Just keep on walking... that's all there is to it. feel the burn.... you'll be sitting round the pool in a desert somewhere in less than a month... incentive much?

    righty. off to write 2000 words on the Victorians. BOOM CHA. jealous much?

    BIG love (for a BIIIG girl) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. For Amy Kirkup Zulu 5
    Hello Queenie, I hope you are OK? - the blog sounds so tropical! Enjoy your turtles, and your jungle camping, and your salsa dancing, (!!!? I thought this was supposed to be tough?) There is nothing so exotic going on here. Just shuffling through the snow and ice, trying to stay warm, and people moaning about not getting the world cup. (You can imagine how gutted I am about the latter.) Your little car is comical, it looks like a small snowy mountain with ears. Dad felt sorry for it today and drove it to work. The only news I have for you today is that Annie sold the big drawing today (Yippee) and that Liverpool and York are on, but haven't heard from the rest. Look after yourself, and enjoy those arduous salsa lessons. Love you lots, and can't wait to see you. Mum xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky Slater zulu 4
    HELLO BEAUTIFUL!! Its Ellie!!! First of all, you have no idea how hard it is not being able to talk to you! It was different on phase, because your constantly surrounded by people, but now I'm home and all I can is stalk your stunning facebook pictures (creepy? no.) Oh god becks, being home is beyond bizarre. It has been 5 full days now, and I'm starting to feel a bit better. I never knew just how much I would miss Raleigh, obviously I miss you and everyone, but I've found harder then I could ever have imagined readjusting back to every day life. The weather for one, is shocking. Snowing, icy cold bitter wind, yuck! Off to Australia in a few days so oh well. Hows the final phase coming along? Quickly? My flight was incredible, I fell asleep after take off and when I awoke we were landing in Madrid! Poor Julia was BEYOND bored but too sweet to wake me up!! We both had about 15 minutes to bolt for our connection flight, and that seemed to wizz by, then my bag was the 3rd bag on the freaking conveyer belt! How epic is THAT? I cried like a baby when I saw my parents at home, and I took the longest hot shower, washing my hair for a good hour :P I can't wait for you to have that same experience, but damn do I miss Raleigh. Hurry up and come home so I can have you all to myself again! I LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU SO MUCH!! See you in a MONTH :D xxxxxxxxxx Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adam Tickner Zulu 4

    Awright Guvna? How ARE you! Hope this finds you well, you'll probably be all relaxed on San Lucas Island by the time your reading this, and I for one shall be in AUSTRALIA. (have you guessed who it is yet?) Man, I can't find the words to describe how surreal and overwhelming being home is. I spent hours the night I arrived talking to my brother about the whole experience, it was really special having someone that understood and shared the feeling, as I have found it really sad being home. I miss you and everyone so so much, I genuinely wish I could go back and extend my time for one more phase! But I'm here now, and its frigging freezing. Be prepared for a shock when you step off the plane! I'm certain I've gained all the weight I might have possibly lost, so your gonna be absolutely FINE when you get home. Hows the group? Are you missing Raisa? (KIDDING..how could I not throw an insult into the mix) Anyways, I'll stop my rambling, cannot wait to see you when we're all back freezing our arses off in jolly ol england! P.s Something horrible happened to my memory card..it doesn't even register on a camera! I managed to save all the photos before this horrid event BUT I don't have our film! So, its now up to YOU young sky walker, to get the skit from Dave. Just have him transfer it to your memory card. Cool? DONT FORGET! xxxxx elle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will Pawsey zulu 4
    Hello YOU! Its elle here, sending soo much love and cuddles your way! how are you?! Hows San lucas? Is it the best phase to end with? London is BORING and cold! Nothing in comparison to the amazing times of Raleigh (although I cannot complain about the bed, food, and beautiful hot shower). Your in for such a shock when you come home, it is genuinely bizarre. I've kept porridge as my daily breakfast, I think it makes me feel closer to all of YOU lot :P I definitely cannot wait to get to Australia and back to warmth, so much snow at the moment! (well..not so much in London, but you know what I mean) Anyways, cannot wait for the big reunion in January, it's going to be amaaaaaazing! xxxxxx elle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Give us some Photos from this Phase please! =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrew Davies, Zulu 6
    Hello!
    Wow not long now until you're back in England, it's gona be a culture and a climate shock for you. For the last 3 days I have seen noone apart from my mother, Brenda and Rob. Couldn't get into work, couldn't do anything, this weekend has been a total write off due to SNOW! I hate the snow, am hoping next week will be fine otherwise I'll probably get the sack!
    Not much news, Hayz has moved out into her flat, McCreedy was supposed to stay this weekend but it's been cancelled due to weather and that's pretty much it! Got my office party next week which will be nice, apparently they get quite messy but we have to work the next day and I can think of nothing worse than working with a hangover...actually did it in Italy so I'm sure I'll cope!
    Spoke to your Mum today, think you're taking me out on my lunch break the day you get back from Costa Rica - no time for jetlag for you!!
    Take care of yourself Andyias ( don't cringe!)
    Lots of love,

    Chessiangst (pah coudn't resistelias!)xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anna Woollett Zulu 1

    At last a chance to dry out and enjoy being up out of jungle and scaling the heights with the sun on your back.
    I really envy you in this phase with volcanic scenery around you and great views no doubt.
    Thawing out a bit in the UK today but no problem where we are so far.
    Lots of love

    Dad X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Victoria Golding Zulu 2
    Sounds as though you've got rain and mud there vit but it must still be better than here. So much snow that we've had to shut the school for two days, unheard of! Thawing a bit now but expected to be VERY cold next week. Could be a bit of a shock for you. Really looking forward to seeing tou next week - enjoy the rest of your time. Love you, mum and dad

    ReplyDelete
  11. Annmarie Readfearn7 December 2010 at 06:47

    For Corinne Davey (Zulu 5)
    Hi sis,
    Just read the update and it sounds as though you are having a great time, cannot believe there are turtles that big, bet they are gorg! Looking forward to seeing the dancing when you get home too! We are all fine, had Liv's play this morning, she was reading and did really well. Lucy had hers last week and was the smiliest shepherd you have ever seen! They got your letter last week so we all sat on the bed and Liv read it out, they loved it and cannot wait to see you, not long now eh until I see you and leave the girls, plus ollie and Amelie for you to look after(he he), mum is putting a tent up in the back garden so you can sleep out there so you don't miss this experience too much! Only kiddin! Anyway, make the most of the weather, it is freezing here. LOL, Sis, Bro, Liv and Luc. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vanessa Coco Nut7 December 2010 at 16:10

    To the whole Jungle Camp at Camaronal:

    Hey guys,
    I'm so sad I already have to leave but I think after spending almost 8 weeks here it's very understandable ;) I'm glad I met all of you and it was always fun hanging out "wis se raleighgruppe".
    "Man sieht sich immer zwei Mal im Leben!"
    Entonces, hasta la proxima!
    Coco Nut

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rosalind & Coco Nut7 December 2010 at 16:46

    To the JungleCampPeople in Camaronal:

    Thanks for livening up se staaaation!(proper german accent) It was always fun when you came to visit us from Jungle Camp. We'll miss the Noches de Baile and sharing our coffee with you.
    Camaronal won't be the same without you. You brought a lot of energy to Camaronal-specifically the Mirador.
    Thanks for reminding us about beautytips like lemonjuice in our hair and wearing makeup (especially Graham with those bombshell eyelashes).
    Coco Nut is really happy to have been able to spend her last week with you all and Rosalind will miss you all when you leave and it will feel way too quiet.

    We wish you all safe travels and hopefully we can meet up in the future.

    Hugs&kisses Honeycrunch and Crispy Crumble

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thank you for visiting our blog. Comments are monitored daily and we will ensure messages are promptly delivered to your loved ones. Please ensure you state the name of the person to whom your message is addressed. This is so we don't miss any out. Muchas gracias!

Pura Vida!