Friday, 3 December 2010

Hello Zulu groups, do you copy?

Today is Day 7 of the phase and all our groups are out there having a fantastic time. We though everyone at home would like a quick update on what's happening on Expedition 10L so far...

Zulu 1 - Maribios Trek (Nicaragua)
It's hot, hot, hot up in Nicaragua and our fearless trekkers are eating up the miles and enjoying stunning views across the Maribios Volcano range. The group are heading towards a town called Buenos Aries today and looking forward to a resupply from the Raleigh shop as they meet up with Ross, the Boss (Country Programme Manager) and Vanessa our lovely Logistics Manager, who are up there in Bravo 1.

Zulu 2 - New Trek (Costa Rica)
From the heat of Nicaragua, to the mud and rain of Costa Rica! Zulu 2 have made it through the jungle section at the start of their trek and are now skirting around Turrialba before they start heading towards the Pacific Ocean. Despite the rain and huge quantities of mud the group are having a fantastic time and proving they are up to the challenge. They too had a visit from Fieldbase on Wednesday night - David, Emma, Tony and Piers headed off for the night to meet them at Bajo Pacuare delivering food, post and the shop.

Zulu 3 - The Guanacaste Trek (Costa Rica)
Although we've run the Guanacaste trek on previous expeditions, this is a new trek for Expedition 10L, and indeed the first four days were entirely new as the group tested out a new improved route complete with stunning views over Lake Arenal and Volcan Arenal. They've had a lot of rain too, but it hasn't dampened their spirits and everyone is doing really well. They've had one visit from Fieldbase (Ross and Vanessa popped in on their way up to Nicaragua) and we're off to see them next Wednesday to climb Rincon de la Vieja - perhaps the highlight of their 19 day trek.

Zulu 4 - Volcan Irazu / San Lucas Island (Costa Rica)
It's chilly up on Volcan Irazu, but Zulu 4 have made a lovely cosy home up there and are making fantastic progress with the road to the mirador. However, they are packing up their woolly jumpers after the weekend and moving to San Lucas Island - Costa Rica's notorious prison island. Zulu 4 will spend the second half of the phase living in a beach jungle camp and working with the rangers in this very special place. We suspect they will also enjoy the opportunity to soak up the sunshine and get out their swimsuits!

Zulu 5 - Camaronal (Costa Rica)
It's the rainy season in Costa Rica, and of course there has been some rain on the beautiful beach project in Camaronal. But the sun is shining now and Zulu 5 are making great progress on their two projects. During the day they are working on the path and installing steps on the trail up to the Mirador. This steep climb brings you out at the top with a lovely view across the ocean and beaches. The existing trail and steps have been well worn, so the group are working with the rangers to restore the path to its former glory. They are also heading out on nightly turtle patrols and have seen plenty of turtles coming up to the beach to lay their eggs. They are fully trained in how to collect the eggs and safely rehouse them in the hatchery, safe from poachers and predators. They've also been lucky enough to see a Leatherback turtle - the size of a picnic table!

Zulu 6 - Achuapa (Nicaragua)
I think it's fair to say that Zulu 6 couldn't be happier with their life up in Nicaragua. They have all settled into their new families and are loving spending time with the community and working like mad on the water project. The group are living in the community of El Portillo and working to build a new gravity fed water system for the village. They have already dug many metres of trenches and are starting work today on the holding tank so they'll be mixing a lot of concrete. It's not all work though, they're looking forward to a Nicaraguan dance evening tonight and heading off tomorrow to nearby Achuapa as guests at the graduation of our main project partner's son. It's a special privilege to live with Nicaraguan people and enjoy this unique window on their lives and Zulu 6 are making the most of every minute. They are also looking forward to the Bravo 1 roadtrip (Ross and Vanessa) visiting tonight.

Zulu 7 - Talamanca (Costa Rica)
It's the second phase on expedition 10L that Raleigh have been invited to work in the Talamanca indigenous reserve in southern Costa Rica. The group are busy continuing work on the wooden school started last phase and it's progressing rapidly. Relations with the local community are also going from strength to strength. Indigenous people can often by quite shy and it's sometimes hard for groups to get really involved, but Zulu 7 have risen to the challenge and are arranging football matches, teaching in the school every day and learning new skills by helping out our project partner on his land. They are also learning how to make chocolate from the raw cocoa pods - a welcome addition to their diet of rice and beans, all cooked by the local community. The Bravo 4 roadtrip (Finance Manager; Marcus, Blogger; Maryann, Photographer; David, Project Manager; Tony and Logistics Coordinator; Emma) are currently visiting Zulu 7, bringing with them much needed extra supplies of cement, along with the Raleigh shop, blog messages and post!

Here at Fieldbase all is quiet, there are only four of us left (Deputy Programme Manager; Sarah, Administrator; Roberto, Medic; Cat and Project Manager; Piers). We're busy planning for the last weeks of expedition and the Christmas party at the end... we can't quite believe it's December already!

Keep the blog messages coming they are much appreciated by your loved ones.

43 comments:

  1. Hola a todos ZULU 7 ,especial felicitaciones a wuilkild john te queremos y estamos contigo siempre desde aca Nicaragua estamos felices por tu participacion , recibe todo nuestro amor tus padres y hermana. Continua adelante saludes de Xochilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Graham Smith Zulu 5

    Hey honey, its me! OMG see you two weeks today i CANNOT wait. your new phase sounds amazing im so jealous your on a beach while were in the ice (not even any snow just mega ice its poo and now its started raining -great!) Hope your having an amazing time, but lets make it go fast hey I wanna see you it feels like i havnt seen you for so so long!
    We won smoker baby it was so bloody good, a really fun night! Im just leaving now to go and do my mystery sho at Asda haha.
    Just want you to know i miss you so so badly, am counting down the days!!!!!
    Love you always and forever,
    Katie x x x x x x x love you love you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynne and Simon Cooper4 December 2010 at 14:34

    Message for Amy Cooper
    Zulu 4
    Hi Amy
    We got your postcard today, thank you very much!That was a lovely, unexpected surprise. I hope we get to see your Nicaraguan dance moves when you get home!We saw the photos of you in your long, white dress on the blog. It was good to see you so obviously enjoying yourself!
    I hope you have lovely weather on San Lucas and get to see some sunshine before you come home to our sub-zero temperatures!I expect the time is really whizzing by now and I'm sure you'll be very sad to leave.But just think of all the amazing memories you'll be bringing back with you.
    Dad and I went Christmas shopping again today, this time to Kings Lynn. Auntie Lanie is having a Christmas craft afternoon tomorrow and Megan and Gracie are going to be helping to decorate the Yule logs!
    Things are really busy at school and I can't believe we've only got 2 weeks left before we break up.Lots to get done before then!
    Enjoy your time on the prison island!
    Looking forward to seeing you soon
    Take care love,
    With lots of love from Mum and Dad xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Beki (Zulu 1)

    Hope you are doing well my love. I bet Buenos Aries is great! Glad it is really hot for you out there too, be great for getting you a tan. Keep enjoying yourself :)
    Missing you lots Beki. Love you loads. Thinking of you always.
    Dave
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. To: Alice Dixon, Zulu 7
    Al,
    Hope the school's coming on well, and can't wait to see you in about 3 weeks time. Here's another appropriate cryptic clue to keep you going in the meantime (cribbed, I must confess): "Doth thith make the heart grow fonder?" (8)
    Lots of love
    Hugo xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Yali, Zulu 4,
    Yali!! How are you there? Do you enjoy it?? We are now in Quito of Eduador,we are heading to Otavalo to have spanish lessons for one week, hope we can leave you message in spanish next time! We miss you sooooo much! The night in your home is always the best night ever for us! Hope you have great time in San Lucas and enjoy your sun-bathing! P.S. Watch out for Kenneth, you know, haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Zulu 4, Rosie,

    How are you?? Do you enjoy it there? I bet it must be much better than trekking! We are now in Quito of Ecuador and enjoying the fabulous food here! It's much cheaper here than Costa Rica, and the night view of the old town is amazing! Miss you so much, hope you enjoying the sun-bathing and your group in your last phrase! I asked Yali to give you a Raleigh T-shirt from Hong Kong, hope you like it. Don't worry, I never wore it after it was washed, so it's clean and smelling good, haha! Hope to see you very soon in Hong Kong or UK in the future!Leave us your address in facebook so that we can post you the postcards in our journey. Work hard and play harder! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To Zulu 4, Sarah,

    Sarahhhhhhh!! haha, how are you? We did what we promised to leave you a massive message here, we know that you must love us upon you receive it. haha!Do you enjoy the environmental phrase with all the friends in X-Ray 2? It must be great fun! We saw the updates of you guys in Raleigh blog, OMG, the porks & beans were stored so beautifully! You guys must enjoy it there! I asked Yali to give you a T-shirt from Raleigh Hong Kong, hope you will like it. Work hard and play harder! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. To Zulu 4, Kenneth,

    Hey! How are you,mate? We saw the updates from you guys on the Raleigh blog, it seems soooooo good! You guys got the hot shower lorrrr, we are so jealous ar!! Luckily we enjoy it so much in Quito of Ecuador as well! haha!! You know the food here is very nice and sooo much cheaper than Costa Rica, I (Sum) extremely like the bread here, its much much delicious than Hong Kong and it only costs around HKD$3 per one!! So cheap!!Hope you enjoy your last pharse in Raleigh la! We have to meet up next year in Hong Kong! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. To Zulu 4, Will

    Will!! How are you? Do you enjoy your phrase there? We know it must be great fun, because you are there! haha! Did Kenneth teach you any Tai-Chi?He is always proud of his Tai-Chi, you know,haha! We saw the updates from you guys on the Raleigh blog, o....it seems really relaxing, man.... but of course it must be much more relaxing than trekking, remember to work hard and play harder! See you when you come to Hong Kong!^^

    ReplyDelete
  11. To Zulu 2, Jessica,

    Jessicaaaa!! How are you? How is that in the trek? It seems quite tough, isn't it? But I know you can do it! You know, you are always cheerful, you can always deal with all the difficult situations! I am now in Quito of Ecuador, miss your smile and singing voice soooo much!! Do not give up,you will be definitely proud of yourself after you finish it!!Keep going! Love you!^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. To Adam Goldsworthy Zulu 5

    Hola mi amor :D

    Just 17days for you to come back, yayy lol It feels it was such a long time ago the last time I saw you, and even though I still have you so present on my mind :) Como estas?I hope well and enjoying that hot weather, here it's so cold and icy, the other day I fell on the ice, it was sooo painful.I think I'm having bad luck. My car is working but I still want someone to have a look on it, you were right I need to keep remind John of his promise.
    I bet you're Spanish will be soo good when you come back. I'll buy a book in Portugal to start to learn too :)
    Yesterday I went to the work Christmas dinner on a very posh restaurant (I'm not used to that), my colleagues were a bit hysterical (I think it was the wine), and apparently women love wine here, I'm not a big fan, but If I drink it would be just white or green. The food was nice but not that great, the starter was with goat cheese and orange chutney (very good, I know you don't like goat cheese but there's one on Café Rouge amazing, you have to try it), the main course was chicken cause I didn't know what was the rest lol than we had a nice desert and coffee (which I really liked). It was fun to get to know the different traditions people have during christmas, like crackers, we don't have that in Portugal.
    It's amazing how quick the time passed by, but at the same time it seemed agessss. I can't wait to be able to speak with you everyday :D
    About football: Birmingham 1-1 Tottenham, Arsenal 2-1 Fulham, Chelsea 1-1 Everton, Manch City 1-0 Bolton.
    Arsenal 1st, Man Unt 2nd, Chelsea 3rd, Man City 4th, Tottenham 5th

    Speak with you soon :) xxxx
    Love you xxx
    Susete

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Amy Cooper!
    Me and Maryah enjoyed the craft day at Auntie Lanie's, we made reindeer cakes, and decorated a yule log, and also made some christmas goodie boxes with chocolate in :)
    I am going to the Clothes Show live tomorrow with school,and I'm really excited, I could spend so much money there, the shops are great and there are so many bargains :) But I don't get to see Gok Wan, he is only there Friday-Sunday, oh well, I hope the fashion show will be good, and I'm looking forward to getting my free goodie bag!yay!
    Hopefully it won't take too long to get there, the snow is clearing up a bit now, we didn't even get a snow day!?!?
    Mum says you may get your christmas presents wrapped up in a Tesco bag, because I am somewhat behind with my christmas jobs!
    Jum says he went to town today and chose some blue Nike football boots to send to Santa, he is excited for Christmas!
    Dad says I bet your storing up lots of lovely memories of your time in Costa Rica, and looking forward to seeing you at Christmas to hear all about it!
    See you soon,
    Love Alisha and gang
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carla, Zulu 2

    Happy Christmukah,

    Ive had my Chemistry mock last week and now i've got my physics this week which i know i'm going to fail.
    I hope you're well. Have you got any leeches atall? I hope you're finding the jungle trek ok, I struggled after 3 days. Don't let you're anger get to anybody like it did to me.
    Please can you bring back some Muchos presents, like Holly did.
    Wendy's coming to see us before Christmas and i know she'd love to see you.
    I'm sorry but you're going to miss the final of X-factor. The semi-finals tonight but i dont know the results yet. Left in the Comp is Matt, Rebecca, Cher, One Direction and Mary. Good news, Stacey Solomon won I'm A Celebrity Get Me Outta Here.
    I HAVE House Song in 1 1/2 weeks. We're doing Don't Stop Me Now. And then I break up.
    I hope to see you soon, Love you loads
    Jess
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holly (Zulu 5),
    I hope that the sun is shining there for you at the beach! How are those baby turtles doing?
    Quiet Sunday around here. Snow is in the forecast for the next 4 out of 5 days. I hope that it dumps! Natalie's dance team went to the State competition on Friday. They did a great job with their routine, definitely the crowd favorite ... but they ended up tying for 4th place. The seniors were very disapointed. Dad and I looked at new cars yesterday. We will probably get a RAV4. Not sure if we will get a new one - still looking for a used one with all of the right features. I'm looking forward to your return in just a few more weeks! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  16. To Carla - Zulu 3

    There's a strange smell of lamb koftas and chopped herring wafting around the house at the moment - your father's just been raiding the fridge to see what new food combinations he can put together! I think he might have to sleep in the spare room tonight! Just to put the record straight your mother has not gone 'doolalie' - I'm just in touch with my poetic side! On second thoughts, perhaps your sis is right but that wouldn't surprise me looking after you lot!!! As you go awandering along the mountain track with your knapsack on your back you can start thinking about organising Holly's 21st next year..... I can't remember what you said about doing this skiing thing with Ellie. Perhaps I should text her to see if she's come up with any jobs, etc. I forgot to mention that when we were up in town last weekend we made a pilgrimage to Covent Garden to admire your red wall in Urban Outfitters - WOW! Now you're going to be in for a bit of a disappointment so brace yourself. The X Factor final is next weekend 11th/12th so I will have to gag Cat and the rest of the family whilst you glue yourself to the tv! No doubt Cat has written enough to cover the whole wall of China on Facebook but she says she needs to divert her energy into writing her essay on the 18th and is mortified that she won't be at the airport. To make up for that though she will be staying the night instead! Snow has nearly all gone although we're now left with slush and sub-zero temperatures that will turn the roads to ice. Winchester's now looking very festive although there are too many people and absolutely nowhere to park! Now counting the days til you call and then come home. Not long to go now. We're all SOOOOOOOOO (remind you of anyone?!) proud of you and can't wait to see you. Dig deep and find that Gottlieb determination we all know you have in you. Love you and miss you more than ever, Mum, a smelly dog and an even smellier Dad!!!xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. To Tom - Zulu 5

    Hi Tom,

    I've been told that I've really embarrassed Carla after my last message - result! Anyway, I hope it's all going well with you. Sounds like your group are having an amazing experience with the turtles. Keep up the good work! Mrs G x

    ReplyDelete
  18. To Zulu 1 Natalia Graczyk

    Czesc Misiu,

    Dostalismy list od Ciebie bardzo sie ucieszylismy bo to oznacza zakonczenie projektu i powrot do domu. W zeszlym tygodniu bylam w Polsce, wszyscy sie dopytywali o Ciebie, jak powiedzialam co robisz to ich zatkalo. Masz pozdrowienia od wszystkich (Malgosi, Stasia, Basi, Agnieszki - dentystki). W Polsce przyjechalam na zime stulecia caly czas padal snieg i bylo bardzo zimno. Tak padalo, ze w poniedzialek komunikacja nie dzialala i musialam wieczorem wrocic z Galeri na pieszo 2.5 godz., i na tym skonczyly sie moje wypady na zakupy. A w kolejne dni tez nie bylo latwo bo tramwaje nie chodzily jak trzeba a autobusy i taksowki staly w korkach. Ledwie udalo mi sie wrocic do Londynu, bo w poludnie przestal padac snieg i wiatr sie uspokoil. A w kolejny dzien mialo byc to samo. Tata wyjechal w sobote do Japonii na tydzien. Znowu jestesmy z Bulem i Babcia sami w domu no jeszcze sa czasami 2 lub trzy koty. Bardzo juz tesknie za Toba brakuje mi Twojego bzyczenia. Babcia czuje sie coraz lepiej ale jeszcze nie wychodzi na dwor. Niedlugo Boze Narodzenie, juz stoja choinki i swieca sie na nich lampki. Pilnuj sie i wracaj do domu. Caluski od wszystkich.
    MaTa, Bulo, Babcia i Oscar oraz Fizia

    ReplyDelete
  19. A Zulu 2; Ariana Marcela como estas, espero que bien, muchos saludos te envian amigos y familia, sigue palante. Besos y abrazos.Maritza

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jamie Devonshire5 December 2010 at 23:58

    Corinne Davey (Zulu 5)

    Hola Guapa! Hope you're having fun with the turtles, sounds like fun moving their eggs around and stuff...I just ate a feta cheese sandwich for my lunch and it made me think of you! It was my birthday yesterday - thank you very much for my pressies! I can get looking into Berlin for New Year now and start thinking about what we want to do etc...it's going to be very cold there, it's been snowing in the UK quite a bit I think! I had a good night on Saturday with the club christmas party - got bought a dirty pint which was nice (red wine, white wine, gin, whisky, vodka, cider amongst other things) and that helped limber me up for throwing some shapes on the dancefloor. I ended up in McDonalds at about 5am on Sunday morning and i'm still not really sure how I got there...I didn't get to play yesterday which was a shame - Dad was in goal instead - but i'm hoping to get a shot at it soon! Got taken for food last night too by Dad, Chantal and the kids as well. Had some not so good news on the flat - the landlord decided that they didn't want to move out anymore which is a right pain in the bum, especially as it was really nice but now the flat in the same building on the floor above has become available so I will go and have a look at that tonight. I'm ready to move out now, hopefully can find the right place before Christmas and then move in when I get back in the new year (before our launch which is going to be 11/1/11, all the ones)! Are you looking forward to getting back now? Can't believe it's almost Christmas but i'm looking forward to seeing everyone and stuff and can't wait for our jollies too! Marie sent me a birthday message yesterday and said that she's bagsie-ing first hug of you when you get back - I can't compete because I'm not there! booooooooo!
    Enjoy your last 10 days and I will see you in just over 2 weeks now (probably 2 weeks by the time you read it). Be nice to the turtles and take lots of pictures of them. Have you named any of them? I googled the place and they look massive, and there's loads of them!

    Lots of love.

    Jamie XXXXXOXXBBBXXXXOXXBX

    ps. you're Mum and Sister have been reading my posts to you, they both emailed me last week to tell me! Hello Pat and Annmarie!x

    ReplyDelete
  21. To Beki Zulu 1

    From the blog it looks like the views are amazing on your trek, it will be great to have your birthday on the beach. Hope the weather is nice and hot - it is freezing at home I set off for work and it was -9 and only rose to -4. There has been loads of snow and it looks like staying for a while. Enjoy the last few weeks and take loads of photographs. I cannot wait to see you again to celebrate your 22nd birthday. Love you Loads Mam xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. amy perkins zulu 6 hi toots hope the project is going well i am sure u are all putting tons of hard work in U must be starting to feel one of the family now with ur foster parents they must love hearing the fiddle being played It was such fun seeing u on skype i hope u appreciated seeing snow white anf the mousey fellow from ratatoiu (sp?)
    Fri night mum and i went to a retirement do in the Aston then Sat night to Emily and Davids Bofer had 2 friends over so Roddo kept a low profile watching bike videos on youtube He was at lochmaben with the pipes yesterday for the christmas lights swith on Jedward (!!!) were meant to switch on Dumfries lights but there was a last minute change Gutted I have just bought christmas tree ,bit early for us but mum has the book gp do on fri At least it will be ready in plenty of time for ur return We had Tommy for lunch on Sat and he sends u big hugs Can't wait to see u tons of kisses dad xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. To Carla - Zulu 3

    Have just spoken to Jayne Chapman this morning who says she sent you a message on the blog about a week ago. I haven't seen it so I'm not sure if you've got it or not. Anyway, she just wanted to send you her love and to let you know that she's thinking about you. She would have written this herself but she's rushing around like a headless chicken and asked me to do it. Apparently her kiln went on the blink at the weekend and she's got all these orders for baby footprints to fire that are specially for Christmas. She also seems to be dogwalking for everyone, is just getting over some virus, Jake's being bullied at school and Max's is waiting for the results of his mocks (which apparently the whole class is going to fail because they don't do any work in lessons as they're allowed to listen to their i-pods!). Andy's fine though! We've also decided in grumpy old women style that the world's gone crazy, life's too busy and we're going to cancel Christmas and escape to some desert island somewhere! Want to come?! Lots and lots and lots of love from two crazy ladies but especially Jayne! xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. To Jack Harrington (Zulu 1)

    So it’s hot where you are huh? Lucky for some eh! Some of us had to trudge (is that even a word?) through the snow/ice to get to the first internet access they have had in days. Oh the joys of Leeds. Turns out there is a limit to how much tv I can watch, which came as a great surprise. Just in bodington waiting for 3 hours of “manual handling” (don’t get too excited, it’s not apparently the fun sort!). On a cheerier (less Grinch who stole Christmas) note, you’re back soon :D:D:D Hope you are having a superb final phase, and are getting the much needed muscle for your six pack :P. I love you and missing you madly. Take care, and can’t wait to see you :D Mandy xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Carla Gottlieb Zulu 3

    BABY GIRL! Its Ellieeee! I MISS YOU SO MUCH. How are you darling?? Are you stomping that ground to pieces? Singing at the top of your lungs and treating the highway as a runway? Although..by the time your reading this you could be back at fieldbase..so if SO how the hell was it?!? I cannot wait to escape London. It's been just bizarre being home, and not always for the better. First of all, the weather,have fun feeling THAT when you step off the plane! The good points? FOOD, BED, SHOWER, and looking lovely and tanned in nice clothes. But I never imagined I would miss Raleigh and everyone as much as I did, I cried once. Pathetic? Maybe. Unfortunately I feel like I'm falling slightly back into my slump, just need to get to sydney! My friends back in London..interesting..I'm sure your going to recieve a far greater home coming then I did. Things are just strange and I miss you so much. I cannot wait till you get back, and as for "fruits" im gonna give you pineapple...I sat next to someone else on the bus!! IM SORRY! I'll hit you up with a big facebook message with juicy goss when I get to Australia. I love and miss you dearly, and I cannot wait to be reunited, on the dancefloor, acting a fool. SEE YOU IN 2011! Mental. wuv you
    elle xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Message for Ashley Fletcher, Zulu 5

    Hi Ash,
    Just thought I would drop you a quick line as today seems to be the last day we can. Hope your well and your enjoying beach life and you get to see lots more turtles, I just read they have over 100 eggs each season so you should be busy!
    You probably have not seen the news from the UK but it is absolutely crazy, snow everywhere and temperature of -25C. Mom and dad could not get back to the UK last weekend because of the weather so had to stay in Spain. Other big news, England lost the world cup 2018 bid it went to Russia but the whole thing was a mess and the England FA are looking at the future of staying in FIFA. The ashes have started, looking good so far, first test a draw and second test England 625 for 5. West Brom also looking good beat Newcastle 3-1 the other day and still 8th in league.
    I'm still looking into the holiday, booked our bus from Orlando to Miami and sorted out tickets for universal resort. Not booked anything else yet but still looking, also not sure if C has booked anything yet.
    Anyway all is good and looking forward to seeing you seen.
    All the best, Nick

    "Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it. Plan more than you can do, then do it."

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amy Perkins Zulu 6 Amy we are having a freezing December .The Nith is frozen over and it was -8 today.It is snowing tonight and Glasgow and Edinburgh Airports are shut.Rory is insistent on going to scouts however.They have a camp at Ae this weekend which I think will be cancelled.Lewis Fitzpatrick and Ronnie Moffat met Wagner tonight.I don't know if you will know who he is as you have been away so long.He is a real showman from the X Factor.Not really my sort but there are great photos on FB..We are having home made meatballs in tomato sauce tonight yum.Granny has been out partying and in good form .Bon maman and papa same as ever .I cant remeber if I said that they will be at Dom and Sues for Xmas but Dom and Joseph off skiing.We have booked the pantomime for when you come home...........behind you! I gave a cheery grin to Alex at school and Rory sent birthday greetings on your behalf.Rory's report card was as expected.Sophie is studying for prelims in January.We love you so much xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. To Hiten Mistry, zulu 3

    It's meee again! just thought i'd send you another little message. I hope your trek is going well, I bet the views are stunning!! :) Make the most of your final 2 weeks...especially the weather! Blimmin freezing here!! Work is getting mega mega busy...1,100 outstanding orders - crazzzyyy!!! Oh i also had my theory test today...fail!! grrrrrrrrrrr, definitely angry! But never mind eh!

    I can't wait to see you in 2 weeks time :D ... Miss you lots....Love you, G xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. to zulu 1 Persia

    hi Persia we got your wonderful letter this morning It was a joy to read You sound full of life and look happy in your photos Less than 2 weeks to see you 3D!!!!!!!!!!
    You'll be coming from airport straight to xmas lunch at restaurant with granny theresa emily and charlotte - as only day possible for all- how surreal will that be for you!
    Postcard on its way to granny - she will love that.
    I'm sure island life suited you very well!
    I wonder how you're feeling as you trek towards the end of your adventure - then again, each day you are having a new adventure. we all love you loads xxx aline max silva and daniel xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. To Laura Woodward Zulu 1

    Hey Sis,
    Hows it going?? Worn through the soles of your boots yet ?? Hope the trek is going well and you are getting some amazing views of the volcanoes. Can't wait to see the pics. All good here, our mountains are topped with snow rather than steam - much more fun to slide down !! Not much else going on here at the mo.
    Have a fab time on the rest of the trek and enjoy the rest of your time out there.
    Take care and keep munching those bananas !!
    Lots of love
    Bro and Helen xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. To Jayome Hutchinson (Zulu 2)

    Hey Jay :)

    Just thought I would drop you a note to let you know that everything is going great back home. So great in fact as England just beat Australia in the 2nd test of the Ashes. Excuse me whilst I do my happy dance hehe :P So it's currently 1-0 to us as we managed to draw the 1st test. This test, I have to say, you guys weren't so great. In the first innings right at the start you had like 2runs and 3 guys out already- including your captain who got a big fat zero. You went on to get 245 all out before we batted and got 620 when we declared. Then in the second innings you got 304 all out and therefore lost by 71 runs. So yeah...as you can imagine people are pretty happy lol not often we win down under ;) Of course, nobody has actually won the Ashes yet but still, this is something for us ;) :P You might want to avoid Ron and that when you get back.
    Speaking of which, your return is so soon! I am literally so excited, the days couldn't go quick enough for me :) Hope you are still thinking about me at our agreed time lol ;) :P I hope the first week of your phase went well and your feet aren't too sore! I hope you got my two letters when the people came to visit and you should get my last one when you finish. I would love it if you could write replies to the two you should have received, but please dont send them to my uni address because by the time you get to send them on (if they come and visit you during your phase again) they wont reach here before I get home. So you could either send them to my home address or just keep them so you can give them to me when you get back :) :) Hope that made some sort of sense lol, I feel like I'm rambling a bit.
    My trip to London was pretty eventful, lets just say I have lots to tell you about when you get back. You wouldn't believe the amount of snow we have had here, you best wrap up for your return because its below freezing! I left Hull on the Monday, intending to return on the Weds morning. Instead I got back Sat because it was just impossible to drive anywhere! Uni was shut for three days as well, which was good because it meant I didn't miss anything and also they have added those three days onto any coursework deadlines :)
    Keep your chin up during the last part of your phase and enjoy your self. Know that I love you very much and I can't wait for your return sweetie. Not long now :)
    All my love,
    Emma xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anna Woollett Zulu1

    Hi Anna
    Not sure you got my last post so sending another:-)
    You may have made it to Buenos Aries now and enjoying some luxuries of life perhaps.You all deserve them I am sure.
    Be getting your letter soon.It is in Leeds at least.
    Really looking forward to reading it.
    A snowfall last night here but not much.
    Just hope all the airports in the uk will be back to normal before you fly home.Tom asking after you when we talked tonight.
    We are all really looking forward to your return.
    Loads of love
    Dad et al. XX

    ReplyDelete
  33. For Ashley Fletcher, Zulu 5

    Hey-yoooooooooooo!!!!!
    How you doin'???? I hope it is all going well and you are seeing lots of turtles! Sounds like you are having fun which is good :)!! Just a week to go before I can talk to you again and then three weeks before I actually see your actual face! Oh my Gosh!! So excited!! I need to trot down to Oxford Street soon and buy a summer wardrobe for my vacation yipeeee!!
    It was such a lovely surprise to be able to talk to you for longer than expected and it's just a shame that you aren't equipped with a solar panel or something, haha!! Well whilst you've been frolicking on the beach, occasionally petting a turtle and picking up an egg I've been slaving away at uni!! Well not really.....end of term is approaching so it's all finally winding down which is nice, just hanging in for three more tutorials and four assignments, then I plan to get to Holland and collapse! This whole bikini diet is going soooooo badly by the way!! I think I've eaten my plus your body weight in Nandos, at least I'll float in the sea!! Haha!!
    The reunion for my old school went really well in the end and actually managed to cook a roast for twelve people the next day (it was no pro-fajita mix or fish feast though!)! I appointed myself as Head Chef, Sarchie as Sous Chef, Span as Kitchen Porter and Boho as Cleaning Assistant! It worked really well until we all started to hit the mulled wine (probably as we were so stressed about the entire thing!) and then the food subsequently went to pot! The roast potatoes never reallllly roasted and the turkey looked like road kill! I greased up the turkey with my bare hands ewwwwwwwwww! Such a brave vegetarian! Haha!
    I hope you're working on getting an awkward turtle picture! I'll speak to you soooooon and see you very soon toooooo!! Can't wait till you get back and I can talk to you :D! I miss you tons but the home stretch is here! Enjoy every day and continue to have an amazing time :) I miss you, lots of koala hugs and kisses :) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :)

    Ps- Had a massive freak out as the cut off date for sending messages is the 7th and I looked on my clock and it was the 7th but it's actually the night of the 6th if that makes sense! Haha :) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I miss you sunshine :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. For Ashley Fletcher, Zulu 5

    What's Gwanin'?!?! Sorry to bombard you with messages (wouldn't want you to think I was sat here being nice to you!!) but I've been told to pass on sport chat to you! I'm literally going to copy and paste from BBC (hopefully that doesn't require referencing!).
    ...England thrash Australia by an innings and 71 runs to win the second Test in Adelaide and take a 1-0 lead in the Ashes. Yipeeeeee!
    And dad told me to tell you that West Brom won 3-1 against Newcastle with Peter Odemwingie scoring two goals, go Peter, lad!
    Also West Ham beat Man U 4-1 in the Carling Cup!! How good is that?! But are still bottom of the league.... you are 8th!
    It's X Factor final this weekend too! So exciting, Cher, Rebecca (Liverpudlian with amazing voice), Matt (the scruffy one with a high-pitched voice who plays guitar) and One Direction (the boy band) are in the final! Cher sang I Love The Way You Lie Part II in the semis, it was alright but only two lines of rap, bit of a letdown!
    Ok I'm rambling now so I'm off! I miss you tons and can't wait to talk to you :) keep saving those turtles and carving that path and moving those eggs (apaz if they stay in the sun too long they become boiled turtle egg.....could give your group a nice breakfast....!? Haha!)
    I'll finish this poorly constructed message with a really bad joke I got told today....Why didn't the oyster give to charity? Because he is shell-fish. Appalling I know! I had to cyber-fake-laugh through bbm to my dad I found it that cringe! Just one week to go till I can talk to youuuuuuuuuuu :) :) AND by that time it'll be two weeks till I can face-palm you in the flesh! Woooopeeeeee! I miss you, stay safe and happy :) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :D Super Duper Squeeze Lekker Schatje :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. To Charlie ("Cat") Legge Zulu 1
    Hi Chazza
    Red Letter Day in Copenhagen 'cos we got YOUR LETTER !!!!!! It all sounds fantastic. Can't wait for the slide show. See you in Geneva. Lots of Love Melanie & Jeremy xxxxxxxx (also known as Mum & Dad!)

    ReplyDelete
  36. For Graham Smith Zulu 5

    Hi Graham, this is the last day we can get a blog to you, so hope you get it. Cant beleive i will see you a week on saturday, cant wait. Got most of my christmas shopping done, hope you have, HA HA ! Read the blog you wrote about the turtles, sounds amazing. Hope the weather is good, its still really cold here. Martins got man flu, hope i dont get it. Hope you have been keeping well and having a fantastic final phase, looking forward to hearing all about it. Ive got a busy week, xmas party at work on thursday, then out on friday to a greek restaurant with badminton. Got the xmas decorations up, getting excited now! See you on the 18th, for sausage rolls, chips and beans . Love from us all Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hey A!
    Still freezing here!! Everyone is getting sick!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. je moeder, Florentine en Ruthger7 December 2010 at 06:06

    Jan van Arkel Zulu 4
    HALLO LIEVE JAN
    Wij hebben je op de raleigh site weer op de foto gezien met je muts op waar je aan het harken bent en met de radio bezig bent. Je ziet er goed uit. Het leven daar doet je goed. Uit oude verslagen en van foto's van je vriend Ben W. op facebook kunnen wij zien wat je nu aan het doen bent. Het ziet er geweldig uit.
    Lekker genieten van je laatst phase. Het is hier koud -5 graden en we hebben een dikke pak sneeuw gehad met Sinterklaas.
    Wij hebben Sint gevierd met de familie bij Gerard en Ruth. Het was erg gezellig met leuke gedichten. Volgend jaar ben jij weer de klos. De winterse kou zal nog wel even aanhouden. Er is één tourtocht op een ijsbaan te Friesland gereden. Door de sneeuw is er helaas geen schaatsen meer. De hockey competitie buiten is afgelast. Voor Ruthger helaas geen DOD dag dit jaar. Alles moet volgend jaar ingehaald worden. Nu zijn we weer met zaalhockey bezig. Geniet daar lekker van de zon en de zee. Wij zijn jaloers op je.
    Heel veel liefs weer van ons allen

    ReplyDelete
  39. To Sarah K, Zulu 4

    Howdy sister!!! Just thought i'd write you a message. It'll probably be the last one from me :) It's nearly time for you to come home! Yay!!!!! Can't wait to see you, it has been way too long. I bet you'll be sad to leave and get back to reality lol!

    I have been up to nothing but work :( Boring. Very very tired cos i've not had much sleep either - kept awake during the day by the power of coffee! Can't wait for 8 days time when I will have just finished my last exam :)

    It is very very cold in England. I'm sure Mum has written about all the snow at home. It was so bad that she couldn't come and visit me at the weekend :( Hopefully she can this weekend cos I really need a break from work, but the weather is still really really bad and its been around -4 to -7 every day, so it's very icy too. If she can't we are considering meeting in Manchester instead, if the trains are running that is!

    The weather around here and home is supposed to stay just as bad for the next few weeks. That means I might have to get the train home with all my stuff at Christmas. If Mum can't get here I think I'll end up meeting you at Manchester and we'll get the train home together!

    Anyway, I hope you are enjoying your final phase. I'm sure you are working very hard, but to be honest, this one looks more like a holiday ha ha!! Sehr jealous :( Really really can't wait to see you and get home and have a break from all this work. I left campus for the first time in 2 weeks at the weekend!

    Love you and miss you lots and lots and lots

    Rachel
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    P.S. We have a pink 6ft Christmas tree in our flat!! Called Frieda :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. To Natalia Graczyk (Zulu 1)

    Hello beautiful!

    So its hot up there on the trek eh? I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am! Your tan will be exceptional (obviously, more to trekking than a good tan, but its a bonus eh?)!

    Hope you are enjoying it. Only one more Monday (and Tuesday too!) to go so really excited now. Must be going so fast.

    Everything is good here. Tinecke said yes, so her and Joe are now engaged - scary, but exciting, stuff. Will take some getting used to here. Joe Wilson, married. Might have to say it a few more times before it sounds right!! Meanwhile, McCaw and Charlotte doing well, met her a few times now. she's nice, and quite clearly very good for Thomas (can you believe it he even went to bed at a reasonable hour last night!).

    Marcel misses you enormously. So do I! I also miss Steve, though i fear his stench is now pretty bad cooped up in your bag on a trek.

    Can't wait for you to come home. Everything is almost done now for Christmas etc so I'm super organised and over excited for 10 days (that's right just 10 days!!) time.

    Love you millions and miss you so much.

    Big loves
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  41. To Beki (Zulu 1)

    Hey beautiful :) Hope all is well with you, i'm sure it is and your enjoying every minute. You must be getting quite close to the beach now.
    Just a quick message to say that I am now all moved in to your house and awaiting you to return to join me :) Thanks so much for the anniversary present too, was a great suprise to find it waiting for me and I loved it. You have great taste in shirts haha. You will have to wait until you get back for your present, but not long to go now for that.
    See you in 9 days my love. Will be blogging again soon to wish you a great bday. You will have to wait for ur bday presents too :p
    mwah mwah mwah. Love you Beki. Missing you such alot. Can't wait for us to be together really soon.
    All my love
    Dave
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beki Turner (Zulu 1)

    Hello my lovely!! Sorry i haven't written in a while, Hope the trek is going ok, i got your letter the other day, thank you so much!! I have your postcard stuck up on my wall! Hope u have got my letter by now! Keep smiling and I can't wait to see u!! Your birthday and Christmas prezzies are both wrapped and ready to give ya!! :) love ya xx Josie xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. BEKI!!!

    Happy Birthday to youuuu, Happy Birthday to Youuu!! Happy Birthday dear BEKI!!! Happy Birthday to you!!

    Have an amazing birthday, it's not often you get to have a Bday in Nicaragua!!! Have a lovely day, or hope you had one, or are going to have one... Whatever the time difference is. It's Midnight just now, the birthday begins now here! Looking forward to seeing you saturday , i'm getting the bus the night before back to carlisle for your get together. looking forward to it!
    Seee you soooon
    Carol
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thank you for visiting our blog. Comments are monitored daily and we will ensure messages are promptly delivered to your loved ones. Please ensure you state the name of the person to whom your message is addressed. This is so we don't miss any out. Muchas gracias!

Pura Vida!