Friday, 27 February 2009

Phase two already in full swing

After a lot of travelling and a couple of very early starts, all of our Alpha groups have now safely arrived at their project sites and are starting to get into the swing of things

So as usual, here is a quick round up of where everyone is and how they’re getting on…

Alpha one spent the night in Alturas last night and are headed to Agua Calientes today (which means hot waters in Spanish) where they will be able to relieve their tired legs in some stunning natural hot springs – I was there a few weeks ago and I can confirm that after a hard day’s trekking it is absolute heaven…Alpha two have been doing a great job of facing the challenges posed by Barbilla National Park, tackling numerous river crossings and tricky climbs.

Alpha four
arrived safe and sound and met with the rangers yesterday to discuss the project. They have clearly been practising their Spanish as they managed to complete their SITREP completely in Spanish this morning, delivered by non-Spanish speakers! Today they’re diving straight into work so there’ll be lots of digging and clearing.

Alpha five also met with the rangers yesterday and ended the evening with a beautiful sunset – they are all quite taken with how beautiful it is in Horizontes. Today, although their camp is already set up, they’re thinking up ways to make it even better than phase one.

Alpha seven arrived in Achuapa yesterday evening and had a lovely dinner. Unfortunately they were unable to get the porridge on the go this morning and so had to have sweet bread instead – they sounded very disappointed! They are headed to Los Playones this morning, where they’ll be meeting their host families and getting settled in.

Alpha eight bought some paint for the community centre on their way to San Ramon in Miraflor yesterday afternoon and spent the evening getting acquainted with their new hosts. Today they will be picking up from where phase one left off by continuing with building up the walls.

Finally, Alpha nine did the stunning walk along the beach into La Carona in excellent time yesterday giving themselves most of the afternoon to get settled in. Today they are meeting with the community to discuss what they’ll be doing over the next three weeks, and will pick up the building of the comedor from where phase one left off tomorrow.

Blog messages…
I’ve noticed that some of the comments we receive at our end seem to be disappearing into the ether of cyberspace and not appearing where they should be on the blog. But don't worry! We get all the comments through at this end so we can approve them, and this is where we pull them off and print them out to give to everyone – so rest assured that your loved ones are still getting their messages, but they just aren’t always appearing on the blog. Hopefully we can figure out why and fix it soon but in the meantime the messages will continue to be sent out either via the radio or with the road trips.



37 comments:

  1. Wow - what a month hey! Just wanted to say a massive thank you to you all for everything over the past few weeks - it's been awesome. You guys have got a good thing going on over there so keep up the hard work, keep doing what you're doing and I wish you absolutely every future success.

    As for all of the venturers and staff out there - well, I truly hope you have the experience of a lifetime; savour every moment, savour every opportunity, savour every tortilla, and I hope that Raleigh turns out to be all that you hoped it to be and more. Of course, I look forward to hearing all about it on your return and I trust that you'll keep me well informed through some killer SITREPs.

    Take Care, Keep Smiling, Have the time of your life and I wish you all the best for all of your current and future endeavours,

    Until next time,

    Sabrin x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hya Sean - Alpha 7. So, to new challenges and everlasting memories for you. Wow, it'll be stunning and sooo interesting. Makes our life here seem too cosy. Went "trekking" in the Peak District today!! went with Sue; she is full of admiration for you and sends her love, as, of course, we all do Jim, Deb, Pest and Lottie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sabrin! Hope you got back home ok and they looked after well you on the journey?

    Your message has just had me welling up, I wish you'd stop doing that! We all were very sad to see you go but it is a huge testament to you how well you coped with it all and how lovely it was to have you around Fieldbase before you went home.

    We will of course keep you updated with everything at this end and do stay in touch - and hopefully we might see you out here again in the not too distant future?!

    Take care and get that knee better soon,
    Amy and everyone else here in CR xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tom - glad you and alpha 4 have arrived ok and are already hard at work. Impressed your spanish is so good...... lots of hard labour - imagine there'll be some aches and pains. We are going out with Sue and Peter for Peter's birthday lunch on sunday, Everyone is asking for you - Peter is pleased you are getting the fulham news! Jamie is still house hunting, M is ok and behaving himself. I heard from Amy which was lovely. The photo slideshow of Alpha 2 was just great - we loved it. Can't wait to see more photos of the new alpha, Take care and enjoy.........lots of love Mum Dad and Jamie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello alpha one and alpha two, i wait a good luck in the treek

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Debz - you look "blooming" in the blog photos we have now seen. Well done. Let's hope the jungle is fun too. We're all fine - even got Dad checking the blog from time to time. Loads of love from us both - and Abu - Mum

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Dominique in Alpha 9.
    Oma says hi to you,she follows the blogs daily but is not able to send a message.I have noticed that sending a blog can take more than 24 hours,but I am happy to stay in touch this way.
    Wonder what you guys and gals will be doing the next few weeks.
    love from Calgary (+3 now,we love the Shinook )
    xoxo mama

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy - naturally, my charm and good looks ensured that I was pretty well looked after on the journey and am now safely back in the UK. Do i sense a hint that you may be sticking around on Raleigh for a little bit longer then hey? Not a bad idea. You are all tremendously missed over here and I hope that life at fieldbase is trundling along as always? I'll see what the docs say about my knee and then I'll get thinking about going back in the summer. etc. Until then, take care of yourself and send my love to everyone over there. Sabrin x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi James, hope your new trek has started off better than the last! Hope you are all having a great time. Your mum and dad took me out to The Priory last night which was very nice! We are all very excited about seeing your little pickle today! I will write you a message later to let you know how she was...of course!

    Oh and you know what I have been waiting to find out...well I'm in!!

    We all miss you and hope everything is going well for you; we're all holding the fort home here so to speak! Lots of love Sarah and m+d x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Vee Hope all is going well with Alpha 2, missing you loads and was thrilled to view the slideshow of your Alpha 9 adventure. It looked amazing! Loved the sloth! Good luck with the trekking hope you don't encounter any fish in those rivers!!! mumxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi Vee, hope alpha 2 isa good one. My birthday was not the same without you! It was great to see the sloth because i am still doing the rainforest at school. Missing you loads!It looked like you had to work very hard on alpha 9. Have a great time on alpha 2 hope you do notcome across any fish! Lol. Missing my big sis millions and trillions! phoebs xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lieve Harm,

    We leven zo met je mee hier in NL.
    Opa en oma Hendy Robert Monique conny Ginenke Marriette Trude,te veel om op te noemen. Ze houden alle hun duimen gekruist dat de dokter maandag heel goed nieuws voor je heeft.
    Je bent in goede handen, maar vlak je eigen gevoel niet uit.
    Natuurlijk heb je pijn en zie je wazig. Maar ze zijn al 2 weken zwaar geirriteerd en al die cremes er in bevordert het zicht ook niet.
    Maak er het beste van en we bellen vanavond weer.

    Liefs pa en ma

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear staff,

    What a good news that there is some progress with Harm, my baby boy.
    We are of course worried about him. it's such a distance. It must be such a great disappointment for him, but he is tough.

    Take good care of him and we hope that monday the docter tells him good news and he can go on with the programm.

    Greetings from Don and Paul[his parents]

    ReplyDelete
  14. To Hana Damirji
    another blog post from yours truly! hope you're settling nicely with your family, and that they are as nice as you deserve! no porridge? why is that deemed bad?? hope they're feeding you properly - we can't have you wasting away, that's no good. no good at all. also just realised that the way i said 'feeding you' suggests some kind of zoo animal. but you're no zoo animal! maybe a really cute one, like those mini monkeys. love you lots, emily xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lieve Juul,

    We zijn natuurlijk bezorgd om je en benieuwd wat het ziekenhuis vond. Jammer dat je nu de Macho-trek niet kunt afmaken. Maak er het beste van op fieldbase, geniet zoveel het kan.
    Veel sterkte bij het revalideren, bel ons als je de uitslag van het ziekenhuis hebt.

    Heel veel liefs, Pap Mam en Mickey

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, FB team.
    The blog is so good for keeping us involved with the action out there, thank you for all your hard work.
    May I ask if it would be possible to attach pics in a format that allows them to be enlarged by clicking on them (as in Costa Rica blog 2008)as faces and details are very small, and some of us struggle to recognise our dear ones? Also, some captions would be great, so we can put names and faces together.
    Keep up the good work, and thanks for your fantastic support for the Venturers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jo,
    Good luck on your next adventure in Horizontes.Great pictures on the blogs which I check all the time!

    Speak soon

    Love dad x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi James, Everything went really well today and Georgia was an angel and so much more grown up! I spoke about you all the time and showed her your pictures. She misses you a lot and told me to tell you she loves you andthat she wants a big birthday present! I will write you a full account of the day with pictures but I just wanted to let you know she is absolutely fine. It was really sad her leaving and I did have a little cry but she is very excited about seeing you! She has also asked if you, her and me can all go on a camping holiday again in the summer; and go swimming and to penz-pants! Georgia and me are missing you greatly. Love Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Would love news of alpha 7- are they settling in with host family? No blog today-really love to have it daily, but thanks for the blogs you do do- means so much to family and friends.
    THANK-YOU

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kayleigh-Pooch

    so it's adios alpha 4...hola alpha 9!

    The new project sounds amazing! Steve is mighty envious...he did say that 1 sounded the best. Polly Punto is a tad unwell at the mo and is off to the garage on Tuesday...wipers aren't working and Steve is a bit miffed because he was hoping to buy a new PC this month. I'm resolved to the fact that he'll be middle aged before he pays any rent! In case you were wondering, Bob is fine, and has been moved closer to the house to keep him safe until you decide to return. Are you really thinking of staying on for longer...Nan will have a flippin coronary!

    I loved the slideshows, the 'feral' look is really beginning to suit you...I may just auction your GHDs and make up mountain on ebay?

    I hope you enjoy this project as much as the last...it does sound absolutely fantabulous.

    I look forward to keeping track of your group's progress on the blog...don't know how I'd survive without it, and it's so much more interesting than Coronation Street, and even Facebook!

    Love you Poochykins x x x

    p.s. I just let Chinchy out, and he somehow managed to find himself a 3month old M and M to chow down on...appalling, delinquent Chinchilla behaviour!

    ReplyDelete
  21. P, WW! EB! Hope its all going well digging trenches, climbing trees and whatever else you do in the jungle... My birthday came and went, fun but I wish you had been here. Thanks so much for my present, it's on right now. I really miss you and I hope you're enjoying it. I love you. Alex
    P.S. I've been trying for ages to get this message thourgh but it wouldn't work, I hope this does.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, Comms team (well, Anna!) good job keeping the blog going!
    I agree with that suggestion about being able to enlarge the pictures, it would be great to get them onto the screen in a size the grandparents can see. Actually, good for me too, if I'm honest.

    I have had a look, and both the India blog and most of the Borneo blog pictures do enlarge when clicked. Perhaps they have access to more sophisticated technology. Anyway - if you can do this for us, it would be fantastic.

    Anna, please would you ask the Blogmeister on return?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. To Ros in Alpha 9, Great to get your e-mail and hope you have managed to retain your remaining 9 toe-nails, or you'll have none left to paint!! Your new project looks fantastic, I envy you your walk along the beach.Not sure about your carpentry skills though!! Am having trouble sending this message, so if this fails I am going to ring Nick,(and Ann), or Giri, anyone who's more computer literate than I!!We were supposed to be going to Aunty Jean's for lunch today, but she's got a bug.All's well here, so take care and have a great time. Lots of love
    Mum,Dad, and cats

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mark(Alfa9)Happy st davids day.Many at church asked after you, and have seen the slide show.I agree it would be better if pics they could be bigger.I think my messages are lost to cyberspace!
    Good to know you have made it to la carona ok.
    Missing you, and looking forward to speaking to you.
    Love Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kay-Bunny!!!

    So your mum gave me this site, very exciting to see all you are doing, sounds so amazing, im am so very jealous of you. wish i oculd have come with you!!!
    I am without a doubt LOVING the crazy hair look, stay like it forever please!!!

    Your mum and ste drove pasted me the other day while i was home looking after the crazy kittens, did not know who it was so just stood, then i twigged!!

    So..any monkeys yet? Hope your taking photos for me to see, cant wait for your return and some drunken adventures at the gunnies.... although i have some bad news...you may want to sit for this..............rams has gone, no more, finished, never again will we have a night there. devastated.

    Hope you get this and it makes your day coz i know you miss me like mad, and miss you!!

    Love you loads.

    Char-Bunny.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy 19th birthday Steph (Alpha 7)!! Hope you have a wonderful birthday today 2nd March. We are all thinking of you and missing you loads. Hope everything is ok and you and the group are having a great experience in Los Playones.

    Man Utd won the Carling cup final on penalties - the Quintuple is on the cards! Liverpool lost 2-0 to Middlesborough this weekend so the Premiership is pretty much done and dusted now, staying at Utd.

    Zoe was at an all night party Saturday night. Joe had his best ever hockey match at Woking HC yesterday scoring twice, missed two open goals and set up another two in a cup game. Matt has his varsity game tomorrow at Southgate HC.

    Your Spanish must be getting near perfection by now! Lots of love Mum, Dad, Matt, Zoe, Joe and Didge xxxxx 1x4L

    ReplyDelete
  27. dearest Farnell,
    This is the third message im writing you, its taken me three attempts to find the correct place to write- the first i wrote on another groups old entry, then i wrote on one of your groups old entries- then i found i post from your mother- so i thought this MUST be the right place. Third time lucky! Well Faz-face- i just wanted to say how sexy you look in your jungle shorts, and i also appreciate the headband usege! (my fav is the animal print one)....your hair doesnt look as bad we predicted! Humitidy fringe is 100% better than sea fringe methinks! Its nice to see it o'natural- its lovely curly! I've most enjoyed the picture of a armadillo that i saw on here- i was under the impression that they were alot bigger than they actually are! As for me im spending most of my time sat behind a desk and pulling muscles trying various types of exercise..although on thursday im going on a location shoot for Gok's fashion fix (im shadowing the director!)- which should be exciting...not as exciting as armadillos tho! Bring me one back! Anyways take care of yourself B-features- we miss thee alot- you look like you are having the best time! Much love Skett xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Julia(alpha 2) the time is long.... however when i remembered you. ...one smile borns in my face... you are very special for my. Te quiero muchisimo.....
    Ivan......

    ReplyDelete
  29. julia(alpha 2)The macho treek is a fantastic adventure, I`ve seen the pictures... you`re a strong girl...
    teke care..... ivan.....

    ReplyDelete
  30. Florentine(alpha 2) Hi flor is Ivan.... you are really a good friend.... good luck in the macho treek

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Wendy,
    Didnt recognise you in disguise in the photo! Certainly not one of your usual poses! ;o) Stu and i just back from skiing and had great time. All well with Mum too, she sends her love of course. Hope your enjoying being a PM and the jungle! Thanks for my quick email, was great. Love and Miss you loads, your little Sis Jx

    ReplyDelete
  32. julie¨alpha 2¨ one more time, I was passing for the blog..... then i decided to send you a big hug and kisses...I wish the best of the best.... Take care.... Te quiero mucho.....
    Ivan......

    ReplyDelete
  33. Davids ¨alpha ¨ que mae pura vida un saludo fuerte cuidese mae y sea paciente las cosas con paciencia salen.....
    Hey davis pura vida one hug, you are very strong take care, you must to learn to be patient. I you are patient everythings is possible to make

    ReplyDelete
  34. Woof Woof Lily Craver Alfy One. I miss you so much. It's pooey not sleeping on your bed and snoring in your ear. And that Sylvester's really getting on my nerves.He keeps teasing me by disappering through the cat flap. He knows I'm too fat. And talking of fat, I went to France with Mum and Dad and the vet there told them I was overweight. Not going to see her again!And It's snowing. Again. Harry sends a big miaow.Love FlossxxxPS Mum's gonna write next.

    ReplyDelete
  35. lily craver. Darling Lil.Got your letter today and read it while we were having lunch in the Jolly. Everyone there asked how you were and sent their love. Hope the trek isn't too arduous and that you've managed your heavy backpack. Daisy had a great time at London Fashion Week. Dom's got a job at Eastbourne hospital and is thrilled. But poor Fi's father died last Saturday So Ali's coming home from uni this weekend and Tom's on his way home from Paris. Love you to pieces and miss you. Mumxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  36. hi there wendy surprise surprise mum calling. wondering how everything is with you. at lyn's sending this short message while she falls asleep. missing you loads and hope you are enjoying life. lyn and i had great time in glasgow. rosie & lily were their usual lively selves.we are just back from a lovely dinner in belfast castle. love mum XXX

    ReplyDelete
  37. Dear Nick, Hope your feet are holding up and that the rucksac proved itself.
    We all celebratingg Easter here and will miss you at the easter egg hunt . Tons of love Mum and Dad

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thank you for visiting our blog. Comments are monitored daily and we will ensure messages are promptly delivered to your loved ones. Please ensure you state the name of the person to whom your message is addressed. This is so we don't miss any out. Muchas gracias!

Pura Vida!