Thursday, 26 August 2010

Echo 5: No challenge too great in El Coyolito

Christopher Taylor takes us to El Coyolito in the beautiful Miraflor Nature Reserve:

This Venturer had thought that the challenges would end with the trek in Phase 1 but I was undoubtedly wrong!

Our project was to build a community centre, approximately 7m x 8m and our building site presented us with a mammoth task. We had to dig down nearly two metres and then some, before we could begin to level out the area; we shifted stones weighing forty kilograms; we moved tons of earth to several different locations but perhaps our crowning victory over nature was the felling of a large tree. Destructive, satisfying and enjoyable, it was a massive moral boost after what had been a grinding time of picking and spading. On our last day I looked on the cleared site with the foundations starting to be laid and despite being just a little disappointed with not being able to lay a breeze block, I realized we had accomplished one hell of a feat.


Working and living with the local community was no easy ride, but an unforgettable experience that was thoroughly enjoyable: Amenities – forget it. Utilities – think again. Steak and chips – in your dreams. The long drop latrine became normality, it's the flushing loo that baffles this Venturer now! Who needs a washing machine and a tumble dryer when soap and a concrete washboard do the job just as easily? And steak and chips could only be acquired with immense powers of imagination transforming the usual rice and beans. But on the other hand, it was a happy, simple and really pleasurable way of living. My family, Madie and Jose Maria were amazing. From the food they cooked, and the freedom of living with them to conversation and tolerance in teaching us to make tortillas. They, at some point, must have thought we were crazy as my roommate and I created a new meal: tortillas with sugar. They were delicious!

Outside of community work and life we managed, with the help of an ex-Venturer, to see a coffee plantation and a baseball game. The coffee plantation was really interesting as I don’t think anyone had a clue where coffee really comes from, or how it is processed. The baseball was different. No one understood the rules but joined in the yipping and whooping whenever something exciting happened. Our last treat was a waterfall, barely thirty minutes walk away. Cool and refreshing, I don’t think there is a better feeling than having tens of litres a second crashing down on your head and shoulders from fifty feet up.

No phase I think is without its challenges, but together as a group and with the help of the families and community, Phase 2 went by quickly, smoothly and entertainingly. 

3 comments:

  1. To Beth Davison(Echo 5)

    Hiya toots, only me! Glad to see your having an amazing time, you look so happy and I'm lovin the do! It's great how much you've done and achieved, a community centre wow, I'm so proud of you, I hope your proud of yourself too! :)

    Just looked at the photos trying to spot you, and the one with the pick axe is particularly fine, I feel its definate fbook profile material.

    Hope you got my last message I think I said your old group but hopefully it found its way to you?! no new news since then really just gettin on with the job and my course starts next week so sat doin stinky work for it today lol but perhaps goin to Blackpool tomorro for some old skool fish and chips,winning tat on slot machines, getting bomabarded by seagulls/gale force winds times! ha ha. Ooo I went to court to do a hearing by myself last week that was 'terra' but it went fine, Legally blonde here I come, just need to bleach my hair and get a little dog and I'm away lol.

    Katie and Karen came over to the flat the other night and we'll do it again when your back yes?! Cant wait for you to come over for a weekend to tell me all your tales! ooo also hope you enjoyed the 80s/90s dance party that sounds like my dream night, I'm jealous and wish to see photos of it asap!

    Ok I'll stop rambling now and just say I miss you loads but am so happy for you, keep adventuring and take care! xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth Davison, Romeo 4. Hi hope you are OK. You are looking good on the photos on here and soooooo clean. How do you do it? ha ha

    Hope you have received all our letters. thinking of you as always but more so now. You will be home before we know it.

    Love from Mum XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chris,

    Brilliant article, hope you are having a great time, certainly sounds like it!! Will ring you when you are back, and should see you next Friday!!

    -Tom

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thank you for visiting our blog. Comments are monitored daily and we will ensure messages are promptly delivered to your loved ones. Please ensure you state the name of the person to whom your message is addressed. This is so we don't miss any out. Muchas gracias!

Pura Vida!