Beth guides us round Zulu Four's environmental project basecamp
Zulu Four have arrived in La Cangreja in the depths of the jungle. We’ve all settled into our new home and have made the final finishing touches to camp. Everyone ‘pimped’ up their basher beds with extra features such as bedside tables, shelving units, ash trays, washing lines and candle holders.
Emma greets the Bravo Three team at the entrance to Zulu Three's jungle camp
Washing lines and basher bed shelving...
PM Alice shows off her cozy camp home
The kitchen and dining area was arranged by the girls whereas the boys’ priority was constructing a jungle gym. Dan and Diego are now frequently found pumping iron in there, whereas Alice’s yoga sessions in the newly-built yoga room prove more popular with the rest of the team.
In the fully-fitted camp kitchen...
...Laura turns her hand to a spot of porridge
7am - fueling up for a day working on the trail
Early risers can have a quick workout in the jungle gym
Beth teaches the boys a bit about balance
Before heading off to the worksite, PMs Sophie and Alice radio Fieldbase to give their plans for the day
The work has been going well: quick progress has been made along the 2km jungle path we were tasked with constructing by the rangers here. We start each morning at 7.30am and work until midday. It’s hard graft in the hot sun and humid forest but fun all the same – especially when the jungle is alive with so much amazing wildlife.
Emma heads off to work
Diego clears vegetation from the trail
The girls hard at work widening the path
Our afternoons are then our own – often started with a refreshing swim in the amazing river near our camp to wash away the morning’s sweat and mud.
We might grab an hour in the hammock after lunch to write our journals, learn some Spanish with Sophie in our daily classes or work on a camp project like the Phase Three skit, a video or some expedition art work.
In the evenings the night sky becomes alive with fireflies and, once the camp candles are lit, dinner is served under the stars.
We might grab an hour in the hammock after lunch to write our journals, learn some Spanish with Sophie in our daily classes or work on a camp project like the Phase Three skit, a video or some expedition art work.
In the evenings the night sky becomes alive with fireflies and, once the camp candles are lit, dinner is served under the stars.
The next morning, some of the Zulu crew volunteered to show us round their jungle camp:
It certainly looks like Zulu Four have plenty to keep them busy. We left the group early on Tuesday morning, already hard at work on the path. That day they chizelled out a 200 metre section that contoured round a steep hill high in the national park, from the ranger station lookout to a small creek.
Today Zulu Four were planning to fashion some steps down to the creek to make the downhill path safe, before starting on the uphill section on the opposite bank. Pausing for a breather, pick-axe in hand, the views from this mirador path are jaw-droppingly good: to the left, a blanket of rainforest stretches out beneath the Zulu squad; to the right, the verdant slopes of Cerro La Cangreja (Crab Mountain) rise out of the early morning mist, silhouetted by the sunrise. Howler monkeys, toucans and paraquets provide a soundtrack to their labours and cool breezes tickle the jungle canopy at this refreshing altitude - as workplaces go, it's not half bad.
The jungle trails at LaCangreja: Before... and after!
Up next: we catch up on Bravo One's progress in Nicaragua with round ups from our newbie environmental project Zulu Eight, plus Zulu's Seven and Ten

























Zulu 1: Jenny
ReplyDeleteHello!!!
Nat here again!! Hope the trek is going well!! I watched the very impressive video of zulu 1, i bet it is so rewarding doing the trek, i am actually jealous! The sense of achievement must be unbelievable though probably hard at times when the terrain can be so steep (thinking back at the steep part we climbed to the waterfall which turned out to be the wrong way! Anyway, news in England? The weather is rather chilly, with snow in some parts of the UK. I now have an unhealthy obsession with cooking I have successfully cooked chocolate chip cookies, white chocolate chunk brownies, green lasagne, chicken curry....my next aim is a quiche! I thought I would give you a taste of the outside world, so today (March 31st) the Masterchef semi final is tonight (celebrate!), top stories on the BBC news are....
Obama eases ban on oil drilling
Heathrow armed raid gang jailed
UN Haiti meeting pledges billions
Chechen rebel claims Metro blasts
Policeman cleared of G20 assault
British Gas strike threat averted
Most young women go to university
...Anywho, a very happy easter and sending you lots of virtual chocolate!
Caroline Finnegan...Zulu 5
ReplyDeleteHi..I'd really like to be enjoying the beach where you are - all blue sky and warm - (so horrible and cold here)!
Just a quick update re application - KCL unsuccessful...application sent to 2nd provider..
Call me when you return to fieldbase re the info in letter.
2 weeks from today and you'll be back - please bring that blue sky and sunshine with you!
Enjoy balance of trip...
Love Mom xxxxx
Zulu 1: Clare Davey
ReplyDeleteHello!!!
Nat here again!! Hope the trek is going well!! I watched the very impressive video of zulu 1, looking forward to hearing all the mad adventures u had! Anyway, news in England? The weather is rather chilly, with snow in some parts of the UK. I thought I would give you a taste of the outside world, so today (March 31st) top stories on the BBC news are....
Obama eases ban on oil drilling
Heathrow armed raid gang jailed
UN Haiti meeting pledges billions
Chechen rebel claims Metro blasts
Policeman cleared of G20 assault
British Gas strike threat averted
Most young women go to university
...Anywho, a very happy easter and sending you lots of virtual chocolate!miss you natx
Veronie Havens Zulu 7
ReplyDeleteHi Veronie hope you are keeping well and everything OK on your project in Nicaragua. Really looking forward to having you home as believe it or not we are actually missing you!
Just had some news in from the Home Office - more government interference. They are stating that all travellers returning from Costa Rica and Nicaragua will be required to be held in a quarantine centre in Hounslow for up to 5 days on their return to Heathrow.They say that this is to eliminate the risk of Jungle Fever spreading through the UK.
It is also intended to give travellers the chance of acclimatising as they re enter a Third World country with a debt mountain.
Accomodation will be a tented village under the Heathrow flight path and catering will be provided by ex pat Chicas/os who specialise in their national delicacy of refried beans.
All rucksacks and contents will be incinerated to ensure no infection and unseemly smells pervade.
Once the authorities are happy that individuals are thoroughly hosed and sanitised they wil be allowed home to their loved ones.
Veronie, after what you have been through this minor irritation will be a walk in the park.
These measures will come into effect on April 1st 2010.
Looking forward to collecting you from Hounslow on the 26th. All our love as always, Dadx, Mumx and Michaelx
Zulu 2: Kate O’Hagan
ReplyDeleteKATTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
OMG!!! It isn’t too long till the end of Raleigh, tears stream down, how does it feel!?!? How goes the trek, I admire you so much for your strength! You go girl (does a crazy dance move!) I cannot wait to hear all the mad adventure stories, wave good bye to Costa Rica for me again!!! Oohh guess what!? I got the weirdest answer message from guess who…..my Nicaragian mum!!!! How sweet?!?! I am sending a letter to her soon, luckily my uncle’s wife is Spanish so has kindly excepted the task of translating my essay. I wanted to wish u a very happy easter, sending you lots of virtual easter eggs! Guess what? Since being home, I have had an unhealthy obsession with cooking, I have successfully (i.e. haven’t poisoned anyone) cooked chocolate chip cookies, white chocolate chunk brownies, green lasagne, chicken curry....my next aim is something from ur divine recipe book! I thought I would give you a taste of the outside world, so today (March 31st) the Masterchef semi final is tonight (celebrate!), top stories on the BBC news are....1.Obama eases ban on oil drilling 2.Heathrow armed raid gang jailed 3.UN Haiti meeting pledges billions 4.Chechen rebel claims Metro blasts 5.Policeman cleared of G20 assault 6.British Gas strike threat averted
7.Most young women go to university ..Thinking of you, Nat x
Zulu 3: Johnie Worthington
ReplyDeleteHELLLLLOOOOO YOUUUUUUU! Guess who!? Haha it is your worst nightmare, Nat hahaha joking! I miss you!! My Raleigh buddy, we had 2phases together, wasn’t enough for me, wished I stayed on could have had the whole experience lol….I hope you are enjoying the trek and it isn’t too tough, I bet the scenery is amazing and the sense of achievement after each tough day is unbelievable, looking forward to hearing all about it…all the best and oooh a very happy easter to you!! Nat x
Zulu 3: Ruth
ReplyDeleteHello Ruth! Wow The coast to coast trek looks amazing, I hope it isn’t too challenging! Looking forward to hearing the stories from it, A very happy easter to you!!! No word from Camp America yet which is sad but looking at other options for the summer instead! Must be surreal to be nearing the end of the Raleigh experience, but I bet you are really excited for your travels ahead….Lots of love, Natalie x
Zulu 2: Emma Darch
ReplyDeleteHello ello!
Wow! Reading the blog, the trekking sounds amazing (very tough but so rewarding).. I am so proud and in such admiration! It must be so weird that you guys are coming to the end of Raleigh, stepping back into the ‘real world’ for the first day is so surreal and I missed Raleigh life so much, but seeing friends and family is amazing…I wanted to wish u a very happy easter, sending you a virtual crème egg or whatever u like! Speak to you soon, Natalie (never forgets x ray 6 times, especially bamboo cleaning)
Zulu 4: Peter Crosbie
ReplyDeleteI must say seems weird and wrong seeing your name as Peter!! Anyways, hello!! I hope you are enjoying the mad jungle delights and the comfy basher beds (I am actually missing them, my bed isn’t as fun, it isn’t made from bamboo I mean that’s just not cool)…. I cant believe your Raleigh experience is near its end, but I bet you are so excited about your next travels, I would be its you and Henry possibly the greatest people to walk this earth (too much chocolate overdose has made me disillusioned!) England misses you, it cries every day (so much rain!! Come back so it can stop!)….I have made exciting travels plan starting late April as Camp America looks like it isn’t going to happen (sad face) but happy face as I found some exciting deals! I am wishing you a jungle happy easter sending you virtual chocolates! Hope the shoulder is better! Natalie (Alpha 7 = amazing)
Zulu 4: Annabel Johns
ReplyDeleteHello! I hope you are enjoying the crazy jungle madness, reading the blog and looking at the photos, your camp looks amazing (I am so jealous, our jungle camp never looked so luxurious, you guys have done a great job!) I bet it is surreal thinking that the Raleigh experience is coming to an end, but I bet you are so excited about your next travel plans! I know that when burst from the adventurous Raleigh bubble into normal real world, it was so surreal namely facing simple things like hot water and food that wasn’t in a can! I went to Dulwich the other day and thought of you I even gave it a wave (people around including my friend were worried that I had gone insane after the jungle lol)…Anyway, I enclose the top headlines of today (March 31st) from BBC …. 1.Obama eases ban on oil drilling 2.Heathrow armed raid gang jailed 3.UN Haiti meeting pledges billions 4.Chechen rebel claims Metro blasts 5.Policeman cleared of G20 assault 6.British Gas strike threat averted
7.Most young women go to university..and not to mention that it is the semi final of the all important ‘Masterchef’….Happy Easter! Nat x
Zulu 5: Amy Herbert
ReplyDeleteAMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously I miss you and Bookham does too it is crying everyday (seriously the rain will not stop until you come back)…I went into Waitrose with my mum and we dived into the gingerbread men yum I was so tempted to scare the staff and say ‘Amy says hi’ and walk off but I refrained as I thought they may call security on me and no more gingerbread men! Alas, life would not be worth living…How is the turtle project? I am looking forward to catching up on all the stories, the beach madness and more importantly practicing for Come Dine with me…I have been busy away at the kitchen (thanks to your inspiration) and have successfully (i.e. haven’t poisoned anyone) cooked chocolate chip cookies, white chocolate chunk brownies, green lasagne, chicken curry. OMG!! Tip, when you are home there was a seriously great episode of Come Dine With me the Belfast one … 4OD it!! I wanted to wish you a very happy easter , I am sending you LOTS of virtual chocolate eggs missing you xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Nat
Zulu 4: Roisin McMillan
ReplyDeleteEllo ello!!! How are you my dear?! How are you enjoying the jungle delights?! I can’t wait to hear all your exciting stories and adventures you encountered… I wanted to wish you a very happy easter (sending you lots of virtual chocolate to enjoy!) Definitely, need to catch up when you are back – how about the travelling after? Any plans? Or heading straight home?,,,, Miss you! Nat xxxxx
Zulu 6: Dani Flores Carpio
ReplyDeleteDonut!! Its Nacho I miss you so much!!! I can’t wait to hear all your stories from Golfito, I hope that you get to see those gorgeous dolphins!! Life back at home is great, I got a surprise call from my Nicaragian mum!!!! How sweet?!?! I am sending a letter to her soon, luckily my uncle’s wife is Spanish so has kindly accepted the task of translating my essay. I wanted to wish u a very happy easter, sending you lots of virtual easter eggs! Guess what? Since being home, I have had an unhealthy obsession with cooking, I have successfully (i.e. haven’t poisoned anyone) cooked chocolate chip cookies, white chocolate chunk brownies, green lasagne, chicken curry…nom nom!! Thinking of you always, Nachoxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zulu 6: Benoit Grogan Avignon
ReplyDeleteHello! I hope you are enjoying the crazy jungle madness, I bet it is surreal thinking that the Raleigh experience is coming to an end, but I bet you are so excited about your next travel plans (is your US master plan of New Orleans etc happening?!) I know that when I burst from the adventurous Raleigh bubble into normal real world, it was so surreal namely facing simple things like hot water and food that wasn’t in a can but it is great to be home… Guess what? I am off to Montpellier for a month woop hopefully my French will improve…. Happy easter and I leave you with BBC’s top stories of today (31st march) 1.Obama eases ban on oil drilling 2.Heathrow armed raid gang jailed 3.UN Haiti meeting pledges billions 4.Chechen rebel claims Metro blasts 5.Policeman cleared of G20 assault 6.British Gas strike threat averted
7.Most young women go to university..Natalie
Zulu 6: Izzy Vyvyan
ReplyDeleteHELLO!!! I wanted to wish you a very happy easter out in the jungle paradise of Golfito….Though there may not be chocolate eggs, I hope you have a pork&beans full day… Enjoy the rest of Raleigh, lots of love Natalie x
Zulu 6: Rachel Stanley
ReplyDeleteHiya! Hope you are enjoying the crazy jungle madness! Wow! I can’t believe it is almost the end of your Raleigh experience sad face, but exciting for I think (may be wrong) you are going to NY! Woo! Wanted to wish you a very happy easter (sending you lots of virtual chocolate eggs!) Natalie aka the Hoff….
Zulu 6: Urmi Mistry
ReplyDeleteIt can only be the Hoff, that t-shirt still has your name on it, if you ever want to claim it…. Happy easter in the jungle/beach paradise that is Golfito, hope you guys don’t go crazy over the dianas (the next best after chocolate eggs)..Enjoy the rest of your trip..love nat xxx
Hello Emma (Phillips, Zulu 4)
ReplyDeleteLovely photos on the blog, great to see what you're up to in your final phase and even better to see the video footage of you (and hear you giggling in the background as the boys attempted their yoga!)Can't believe you will be home in three weeks...hope it's not too boring for you after your great adventure!! Lots of love, Mum, Dad, Thomas, Katie and Tilly xxxxx
Zulu 7: Henry Lake
ReplyDeleteI wanted to wish u a very happy easter, sending you lots of virtual easter eggs! Guess what? Since being home, I have had an unhealthy obsession with cooking, I have successfully (i.e. haven’t poisoned anyone) cooked chocolate chip cookies, white chocolate chunk brownies, green lasagne, chicken curry....my next aim is perfecting the come dine with me dish! I cant believe your Raleigh experience is near its end, but I bet you are so excited about your next travels, I would be its you and Phil possibly the greatest people to walk this earth (too much chocolate overdose has made me disillusioned!)I thought I would give you a taste of the outside world, so today (March 31st) the Masterchef semi final is tonight (celebrate!), top stories on the BBC news are....1.Obama eases ban on oil drilling 2.Heathrow armed raid gang jailed 3.UN Haiti meeting pledges billions 4.Chechen rebel claims Metro blasts 5.Policeman cleared of G20 assault 6.British Gas strike threat averted 7.Most young women go to university ..Wave hi to Los Tololos for me
Zulu 10: Ellis Bouw
ReplyDeleteHey Happy Easter! Hope you guys aren’t too fed up with rice and beans (ooh and tortilla!) I send you lots of chocolate. Wow! I can’t believe your Raleigh experience is coming to a close, but it is so good that you end with the community project…looking forward to hearing your experiences and what it was like being with a Nicaragian family…I bet you are excited for the beach paradise that follows on from Raleigh then the London adventure (which includes Nat’s house, yes!)… Guess what?! I am going to Montpellier!! For a month I am so excited!! Thinking of you, Natalie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zulu 9: Roxsari Quesada Diaz
ReplyDeleteHalo! I wanted to wish you happy easter and say I miss you !! Natalie (X ray 6)
Zulu 7: Davinder Sanghera
ReplyDeleteHey Happy Easter! Hope you guys aren’t too fed up with rice and beans (ooh and tortilla!) I send you lots of chocolate. Wow! I can’t believe your Raleigh experience is coming to a close, but it is so good that you end with Los Tololos as you get to see the project finish, I am so curious to hear your stories, to know what family you stayed with, your experience…Life in England is great, the weather not so much but I missed the buzz of London, I have been cooking and practicing for our Come Dine With Me reunion! Thinking of you! Nat xxxxxxxxx
Max Milward. Zulu Five: Happy Easter - we'll keep you a chocolate -well, half a Bounty, if you're lucky. Everyone sends lots of love, M,D,A,C,D and B (and B and W from beyond the deep)
ReplyDeleteZulu 4
ReplyDeleteDan y Diego
Congratulations on thr Jungle gym guys!! Looks awesome!!
To Beth Watts... Ha it looks like 'Im a celebrity get me out of here' lovin' that weight lifting in the video, LOL. Hope you are having a laugh and i see you have made new friends hope you are all enjoying yourselves, And i cant wait until you come home cos i wanna do the Easter egg hunt... :)
ReplyDeleteDo you want to here nanny's menu for Easter Sunday (tomorrow) slow cooked drop off the bone lamb, roast chicken and stuffing, sausages wrapped in bacon and all the other stuff. For dessert there is bakewell tart, apple crumble ect. is your mouth watering yet cos mine is but when you come home think of all the delectable things you will be eating :)
From Jordan ;)
Luke Sussams Zulu 1
ReplyDeleteHi! Thinking you might be around 200km in by now and there my imagination stops! And think - but I may be wrong here that you are now in the national park amid various wildlife and undergrowth. Amazing - just hope you are not too exhausted to appreciate it all and that there are still a few hundred potential photos left on the camera!
Spring is at last here and it is no longer cold. The Masters is on tv at end of the week and it's also the final of Masterchef! We have 2 tickets for the first day of Wimbledon too so there can be no squabbling... Great to see you on the blog and it seems there is more to come.
Remember how you used to be dragged screaming for a Sunday walk?
Speak to you next weekend I think? Really looking forward to that,
lots of love, Mumxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zulu Two Will Moody
ReplyDeleteHi Will Happy Easter! It's Easter Sunday today so we've had the traditional food;boiled eggs, chocolate,roast lamb,chocolate. Did I mention the chocolate? Don't worry, we've saved you loads of Easter eggs. We got back from Chamonix last night after a great holiday but we really missed you. No broken bones this time, just a few sunburnt faces. Remember your broken thumb on the last run 2 years ago? Hope the trekking is going well, must be weird to be counting down to the end of your amazing Raleigh experience. I'll arrange some extra travel insurance for the extra week you've planned. Will blog again soon. Missing you, can't wait to see you although you're not missing too much here as Jack, George & Hannah are all revising.love from us all Mumxxxx
For James Ash alpha 6?
ReplyDeletehey babe!
first of all happy easter!
quite a busy week. soo much to tell you!
wednesday
ok so i had my oxford brookes interview, totally got in,(standard?) but not a huge fan and i think you will have to convince me. basically the campus, headington campus, had porter cabins luckily the art department was in a nice stone building. but in the first year there is so much less studio space, like half the space i am in at the moment. also they were interviewing people who haven't done art foundation, so there first year would be boring for me because its essentially just doing everything everyone does in foundation. they also interviewed loads of mature students, and i know there are lots of mature students but half of the people being interviewed were like 40-50 year olds and i kind of just want to be with people my own age.
thursday, went out in winchester. went to bar bone for the first time ever! really really fun, went with lydia, amanda, lucy and ed, then ellie and beeton came, so much awkward tension you wouldn't believe! also ellie has lied loads about ed and what happened and was generally stirring and being lame. i kissed a hair dresser, lush?
also saw alex green loads she sends love!
friday
daddy's 50th!
went to london, had an amazing lunch in the oxo tower brasserie, so yummy. not to make you jealous with your beans and tuna, but i had seared beef salad, followed with steak ale and mushroom pie with parsley mash and then ice-cream for pudding! amazing!
then some shopping! got some really nice jeggings! and walked all round covent garden really fun.
then went to see oliver! it was literally amazing. so many good stage school kids, stunning stage effects with making it look like london and moving the stage around loads. could not stop singing for ages afterwards, and the occasional song keeps popping up, so today i was singing the 'who will buy my sweet red roses? 3 for a pennie' the bit from who will buy.
while we are talking about musicals, sadly my mum's school trip to see sister act is full of students so i cant take one of the places. gutted! but this means that i can see it with you and lydia!
today (easter sunday) i went to the beach hut, really sunny. beautiful weather. took lots of cute pictures of the family with dirty diana! so fun!
ok i cant wait till you get back, i don't know if i told you last time i wrote, but me and laurence are friends now so if we hang out all together when your back it hopefully wont be awkward!
cant wait till you get back!
lots of love
hattie xxxxxxxxx
PS lydia says that you stink and she can smell you from england and that you better wash before you see her on her travels!