Thursday, 18 November 2010

Hello X-Ray 1 and X-Ray 6

Water is about to flow through the newly laid pipes in the community of Las Tablas, Achuapa.  X-Ray 6, led by PMs, Wellard, Adrian and once again, Dr Phil, have been diligently trenching and pouring the concrete for the second holding tank that will feed clean water to the lower  village.

Enroute to Achuapa 




Venturers, Hiten, Naz, Jenny, Tom, Enma, Ari, Maxim “Veggie”, Amy, Darren, Jay, Ana, Michael and the two Beckis (Slater and Turner) are having a blast living with their host families, wolfing down gallo pinto, and simply amusing the children with their presence. Most of the homes have no electricity so it’s almost pitch dark by sunset, save for the flicker of flames from the stone-moulded kitchen stove. This is true rustic living for the volunteers who appear to have adapted really well to it.





Alpha 6 legacy





Beginnings of a holding tank


When not trenching or pouring concrete, the team find time to teach English at the primary school, practice their Spanish with their hosts and marvel at the antics of  the domestic livestock. One mama pig gave birth to seven pink little piggies during the first week, much to our venturers’ delight.

Trencher Tom
Welcome home Tio Felipe
Bravo 1 left the group after a special bonfire night under a clear moonlit sky organized by the community. President of the Juan Francisco Paz Silva Cooperative and social promoter of the community Brigido Sosa, impressed us all with his guitar skills and Nicaraguan folk tunes. He noted that is was rare to see the entire village come together for a social gathering such as that so it was great to know that Raleigh’s presence is having a positive impact in more ways than one.



Que pena!

Dr Phil and his ukulele was no less entertaining with his renditions of Kum Ba Ya and Waltzing Matilda.  The night ended in fits of laughter with a “sing-off” between the Raleigh team and the children of Las Tablas. We were no match for the shrills of the young ‘uns, of course.

X-Ray 6 last reported plans to camp for a night at a nearby hill. We will be waiting eagerly for news of the first gush of water from the taps by the end of phase.

Babes






Meanwhile, X-Ray 1 are looking like a band of happy campers; pleased with themselves for having beaten the clock several times to arrive at their checkpoints.  A bit of chest-thumping there, no doubt. Some venturers have taken up the challenge of living solely on Raleigh rations throughout phase, thus abstaining from tucking in to the candy from the mobile tuck shop.

Fresh fruit break

The Maribios trail

Lee - Powered by Pork & Beans


We rendezvoused with the group at a school in Colonia Santa Cruz and joined them for the ascent of Volcan Casita the next day which turned out to be a perfect day for the four-hour hike to the top. We were blown away by the brilliant view of the smoking, Volcan San Cristobal. The trek will end in Mechapa beach in the province of Chinandega. The dry heat of the Nicaraguan Northwest is going to be the group’s biggest challenge, we reckon. 


Another record for X-Ray 1

34 comments:

  1. Fiona X Ray 1
    hi Fi
    I have finally worked out how to do this just as you are on your way back. We are missing you and look forward to your return. I've got in a supply of lentils, rice and beans especially for you. It looks warm there - it's cold here and snow forecast for next week. There's lots of snow in Les Arcs at the moment. Booked skiing with Thiboud which should be fun but not Dad!!
    See you soon and lots and lots of love. Mum XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Jayome Hutchinson (X Ray 6)

    Hey Jay,

    Yes, I'm writing you another comment on the same day! Literally just after posting my comment saying that there was yet to be an update about your group, they go and update the blog and there you are! I see you in your Australian Mickey Mouse top.
    It looks like you are having a great time, some of the pictures are pretty awesome and you'll have to look at them when you can. The children really seem to enjoy having you guys there! And aww at the piggies, you know what I am like with baby animals lol :P
    These make me miss you even more though! I hope you carry on having a great time and I can't wait to catch up with you soon.
    Love you and miss you
    Emma xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jayome Hutchinson (X Ray 6)

    Its me again. Ok last time honestly but just wanted to say (and I forgot to add this as a PS) you aren't looking as tanned as I thought :P Bad times :P :P And your hair is getting long! Hehehe.
    Plus some news from home, Voodoo has broken a bone in his chest :( :( But the vets think he will be ok, they aren't going to operate because its not in danger of piercing anything or that, but he will just have a bit of a deformed chest now. I was so worried for him, but fingers crossed everything will be ok :) :)
    Ok, bye for the last time today haha,
    Love you
    Emma xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. For Graham Smith x-ray 1

    Hi Graham, so happy just seen photos of you on blog.Looks like you are having a great time and seeing some amazing scenery.
    Hope you are enjoying every moment, and the beach is worth the trek!
    Look forward to hearing from you soon.
    Love from us all mum XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve and Diane Ellard18 November 2010 at 15:34

    Hi Wellard. Like the pink jacket ! Suits you ! How are the piggies doing? Good job done by all in X-Ray 6 on the water project. Best of luck for the next stage. Looking forward to reading about it and seeing the 'photos. lots of love from Mum and Dad xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emma Lewis, X-Ray 1

    Hi SD

    Nice to see your pics !!

    Sounds like you are having fun. Keep it up and look forward to hearing all about it.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Despo Panaretou Devons19 November 2010 at 03:55

    Message for Michael Michael. X-Ray 6

    Hey Mickey!!! How are you? It is so lovely to see you in the photos. I hope you are enjoying the experience. Everything much the same here. Ben and I just got back from New York - yes he did complete the marathon. He came in before the Chilean miner and even made it in the New York Times!
    The family is all well and we all miss you very much. Bounce something back at us if you can. Lots of love Despo & Ben xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. For Amy Kirkup
    Hey look at you! Fantastic to see you looking so well and happy. Bet you're loving that Nicaraguan heat. House is quiet without you and we're all losing weight without your wonderful cooking! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. from Kate & Barry Campion
    Glad to see all the work Tom did in the garden in the summer is paying dividends for Alpha 6. Keep up the good work, learn more Spanish and teach some English. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  10. sorry, X-Ray 6, i called you Alpha 6
    Kate Campion

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Beki (X-ray 6 - Turner)

    Was really great seeing pictures of you on here. Looks like you are having a great time helping the community. Hope you are enjoying teaching engish at the school and that you have picked up alot of spanish to teach us all once you're back.
    I'm not actually starting work in Carlisle until 29th Nov. But I will still be living there once you are home :)
    Look forward to speaking to you soon. Miss you. Love you. Always
    Dave
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. To Hiten Mistry: X-ray 6

    Helloo :) Thankyou sooo much for your letter and postcard!!! Made me smile lots. I hope you're enjoying your second phase as much as your first! Just saw the pic of the little piggys...awwww!!!

    Im so tired, just finished another week of work..its actually ridiculous now, so hectic! But it's keeping me busy :) This driving lark is a piece of cake really!! My lessons are going really well. He let me drive to work yesterday down gloucester road in rush hour - eeekkss!! Ive only curbed the car twice :P a van bullied me into it (so it wasnt my fault) :P and stalled once - not bad eh!!?

    I went to Wembley on weds to watch england v france..freezing, wet, we lost...so great trip!! Went on the national express and didnt get back til 3am and i had a driving lesson at 8...good! Lesson was on emergency stops...very appropriate!!

    Nothing else to report really, everyone at home is fiiiine :) apparently micheal is coming round tomorrow to attempt putting up the loom haha...good luck!! I'm still clueless. But anyway, hopefully it will be up and running by the time you get back!

    I'm wondering now if this message is bigger than nayans haha..just read his latest comment on here.. Anyway hopefully you're all good :) Hatts says hi :) Love you and mss you lots, looking forward to hearing from you very soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (this has to be longer than nayans now!!) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lynne and Simon Cooper19 November 2010 at 12:55

    Message for Amy Cooper
    X Ray 6
    Dear Amy

    It was lovely to see the new photos on the blog. It looks like everyone is working really hard on the project and you looked like you were enjoying yourself in the classroom! Was it very different from Santander? I'm glad you're getting to use your Spanish. It seems odd seeing you wearing shorts and vest tops when it is so very cold here!
    We're going to Cambridge tomorrow to start our Christmas shopping. I asked Bec what she would like and she said "a top with character", so that could prove to be a bit of a challenge. Still, I always like a challenge!
    I had an unexpected afternoon off today. Charlotte and I went to another school this morning to look at Early Years and we got a call to say they had closed our school, due to staff illness!
    Hope everything goes well with the project.Will be in touch again soon.
    With lots of love Mum and Dad xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. For Jayome Hutchinson (X Ray 6)


    G'day Tarzan, hope the jungle is treating you well, don't eat all of your new family's food. Good to see you Aussies still cant play rugby like us pommes hahaha. Ron, Zoe, David and Cam say hello. see you when you get back (if the bugs haven't eaten you alive) from Mark.
    Emma says hello too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Felicitaciones a todos los participantes de rx1 realmente es un gran desafio y tambien es un orgullo para mi como madre ver a mi hijo Wuilkild john fajandose como todo un buen Nicaraguense . les deceo la mejor de la suerte y que Dios los bendiga a todos .

    ReplyDelete
  16. To: Shu Kwan Yeung (Kenneth) of X-Ray 1
    Dearest, I'm glad to see U again by photos in the website. However I nearly can't recognize you as your face seems getting much darker, so remember to put on the hat when necessary.
    Ho'MUK SEE' & I finished the Taiwan trip (Taipei,Tainam & Kohung)on this Tuesday for 6 days. We also lived in a very nice local family at Tainam. Ms Ho returned to Denmark last night.
    Everything here is OK.
    I hope to see U more by posting more photos in the website.
    Best wishes to everyone!
    From mammy on 20-11-2010.

    ReplyDelete
  17. x ray 6 naz gunaydin canim insalla iyisin seni cok ozledik bu gun cumartesi ise gidecem baba mehmede gidi iyidir seni cok ozledi dord gozle gelmeni bekleriz oralarda kendine iyi bak nasil rahadmisinbizleri merak etme abilerinde iyihepimiz seni ozledik siki giyin usutme canim xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lieve Tientje, ( caroline X-Ray 1)
    Ik zit hier met Fietje en Oma en we gaan dadelijk met Rob kijken naar een toneelstuk van Thijs ( en Menzo). Zo fijn om weer een foto te zien. Het lijkt of je daar heel mooi weer hebt en wat een waanzinnig mooie omgeving. Paps is vertrokken naar de 7-heuvelenloop en Rob komt zo hier, heeft huisweekend gehad. Fietje zegt dat er genoeg over haar te vertellen valt. Ze heeft gisteren met 4-0 verloren en heeft ook nog haar mobiel verloren!!! Begint over 2 weken met PTA week, dus is druk, druk, druk. Gaat wel misschien donderdag naar de Kermesse in Groningen. Oma heeft ook veel te vertellen, zegt ze hier lachend. Programma is bekend, overdruk programma met allemaal oude dames!! Kunst, bridge , eten ,film etc. haha. We praten nu alweer over de zomervakantie. Frankrijk is nog niet zeker, maar we verzinnen wel iets leuks. Lieve muis, Geen blaren? Oma maakt zich zorgen. We zagen wel dat je die lekkere stappers aan hebt. Ben benieuwd of je nog op hakken kan na deze tochten. Denk je nog na wat we aan Celine mee kunnen geven? Hele dikke kussen van ons allemaal. En hoop zo weer iets te horen,
    xxxxx, oma, Fietje, mammie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amy Cooper (X-Ray 6)


    Hello Amy

    It looks like you’re having fun, I saw the pictures of you in the school- it looks very different to the ones here! I can imagine that you are really enjoying living with a family for a while in the village too- I bet it’s a massive culture shock but I’m sure you’ll love the fact that it means you’re immersed in the way of life over there.

    School is going OK but it’s as manic as ever. Hairspray rehearsals finish soon and the final performances are in 2 weeks! I started a Big Band too at the start of the year and we’ve got our first concert the week after. I think I’m more nervous than the pupils! I’m looking forward to the holidays! I’ll be home for almost the whole 2 weeks I think so you’ll have lots of time to tell me about everything you’ve been up to!

    We went to the Christmas markets yesterday in town, it was lovely and festive! I bought some handmade Christmas tree decorations. Stu bought £6 worth of pink garlic and £10 of stinky blue cheese, both of which smelt pretty funky and he had to carry them around for the rest of the day. He got some funny looks on the tram home!

    Anyway, I hope you are well, that you have made some nice friends and are enjoying living and working out there!

    Looking forward to seeing you soon and hearing all about it

    Bec Xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Michael James Michael x-ray 6.

    Hope you are well and you are having a good time. We all miss you loads, take care and i will speak to you soon.

    Lots of love your uncle pan x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Amy Cooper!
    I love your jacket, it's pretty cool ;) Have you been shopping?!
    Dad says hope you are still having a great time and you are taking in all of the breath taking views!
    Maryah says, we went to go see Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows Part 1 and Dobby the Elf, Hedwig Harry's owl, and Mad Eye Moody all got bumped off :( and George got his ear chopped off!
    Mum says are you just teaching the English Language or do you get to teach other subjects as well? It all looks very exciting and interesting!!
    Jum says what is the food like? are you getting much to eat?

    Love Alisha and the Hassan Family
    xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. ANNA KEEN - X RAY 3

    Hey keeny baby!!

    Hope you are getting on well and not too wet!! I bet the jungle is amazing!! I have got my fingers crossed for you that your blisters are healing and you havent managed to get too many more!

    Been a very quiet few weeks, Andy and I haven't had a drink for three weekends!!! what is that about!! trying to save some spondoolies for crimbo! Joe came up on Tuesday and went back on Wednesday night so was nice to see him, he is really well and looks fab as always! Jack and Colleen went to see Hazza Potter last night and loved it, they have been an excited as kids at christmas all week! lol!

    Well today is Sunday, Mo's operation is tomorrow, Adam and Emily have come back for the weekend and Joe and Darren are making a suprise return visit overnight for a family night (ish, just not complete without you though! xxx). Joe and Darren are going to attept spending the night in your bed, I said they will be in heaven as we all know it is the comfiest bed in the world!! Mo is really looking forward to it so should be good. Games are set so we could be in for one of those nights!! Lets hope the giggles can be kept at bay, I didn't do so well on Tuesday night when Joe was up!! oooppps!!

    Andy and Jack are going in with Mo in the morning (at 6.45 am - how funny, can you imagine Andy up at that time!!) and I am finishing work at half two so I will meet them at the hospital, she should just be coming out of theatre by then so good timing.

    I will of course let you know how it all goes as soon as we come back from the hospital on Monday evening. I've got the email address to contact so i'll be in touch ASAP.

    So how are you my dear - I hope your having the most amaxing time!!

    I'll close for now because we are about to have a big clean ready for tonight .... are you jealous?

    It has to be said that we are all missing you like crazy and can't wait to have you home! Just under four weeks to go!!

    Take care of yourself my love, and will speak to you soon! Don't worry .... we'll look after her!!!! mmwwaahhh

    Lots of love from all of us

    Jo

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Jenny, XRAY 6
    Love the hair! Must be much cooler and more comfortable. Hope all is well. Looks like you are storming on with the project- hope you are speaking loads of spanish. Dad says to say the lodger is very happy with your room (only joking!) The piglets are soooo sweet, how lucky was that? Can't wait to hear from you. We are missing you loads. Love from us all. M and D xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. FOR AMY COOPER, XRAY 6:

    Hello Amykins

    Hope you're all good! Lovely to see some more pics up on here. You look so CLEAN - I'm very impressed ;) The Winter Wonderland has gone up down the road in Hyde Park... oh the lovely (but cold) memories :) Talking of which, it's pretty freezing here and dark everyday by about 5 :/ snow is even forecast this weekend on the North and East coast! Any snow your way??

    Work's going well, it's all go on designing a 2011 calendar as apparently it's not good enough if it doesn't get delivered till Feb :P haha, I've sent you a couple of letters - fingers crossed they get to the right place/country/continent...

    Keep smiling and safe travels!

    Lots of love from berry xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. For Beki Turner xray6

    Hi Beki
    Loved the photographs, you all seem to be having a good time. Looks like you have all been shopping (bulk buy shell suits!)Great presents for the Lauren and Jenny I could just see them wearing them. Wagner still in xfactor and Ann Widecombe in Dancing. Going with John and Thomas to see Harry Potter on Friday but don't worry I will go again with you. Dave coming at the weekend it will be nice to see him. You don't look very tanned has the weather not been so good? It freezing here and snow expected so I have ordered you a sledge for when you get home. Ring or email when you can

    Lots of Love Mam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Emma Lewis X-Ray 1

    Hi SD

    Welcome back to fieldbase and hope you've had a great time.

    Thanks also for the very clever and funny birthday card. It was great ! Thanks also for my presents. Can always use new balls :)

    Look forward to chatting with you in the next day or so.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lievee Caa,

    Wat zou ik je graag even in het echt spreken en horen hoe het daar is!

    Hahaha hoe gaat het met de prachtige voeten? Zo typisch ook weer :p.

    Was ik Cé maar, dan zou ik je bijna weer zien.
    Ben zo benieuwd hoe het allemaal is Caas! Eten, mensen, weer enz..

    Hier is het top, lekker koken, rare engelsen en heel koud..
    Het was even googlen voor ik je vond, maar het was het waard. Echt een vette foto met die schildpad. ( aangezien het me nog steeds niet is gelukt de nieuwe ping aan te schaffen zag ik hem nu pas echt. )

    Ik mis je lieve Ca, hou je taai daar!

    Hele dikke kus uit London,
    xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amy Perkins x ray 3 Honey we are really missing you.There are a few comments on your face book from Kieran,Justin,Lauren asking after you .It seems such a long time since we saw you.We are watching Deperate Housewives at the moment.I had a good day in Glasgow .What a chat Fiona Vernon and I had.Text when you arrive back at base.We are hoping Rory still fits his snowboarding boots .He is now a size 12!Love you Mum xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Tom Campion X-Ray 6.

    Hey Baby Brother,

    Love love love reading about your antics! Very happy to see you enjoying yourself and working hard. I wonder how your Spanish is coming on?

    So very very proud of you. Miss you lots. Be safe. Have fun and most importantly say yes to everything! =P

    Lots of Love
    Ladix. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. For Emma Lewis 10L venturers (hotel 9+10)

    Hey Emma!

    Just thought I'd send you a little message to let you know that I'm thinking of you (I hope it gets to you, I'm not sure I have done the group thingy right, I don't know what X ray (??) you are in).
    Anyway, news this end.. the weather is absolutely freeezing and it's supposed to snow over the the weekend.. You know how it is, the whole country is bound to come to a stand still. Should be interesting.
    Weather aside, there's not a great deal of exciting news to tell you.. There have been some crazy student riots in London about tuition fees (sparking debates all over the place) and the new Harry Potter film has come out (and is amazing-truly). X factor remains one of the most talked about things in the UK, not surprising really, but I can't tell you too much about that as I am trying not to watch it!
    Girls wise-Jo is off to South America in January and Bob is off to Oz in a few weeks, which is all quite exciting! I think that Ash is enjoying her masters and has made some nice new friends (no allington slagz, but still) and I believe that Soph is happy at her job and just moved into a house in wollaton.. Ava is really loving life in Rio with chris by the sounds of her emails and I am still cracking on with my job at IHR. same old same old for me. Not sure how much of that you knew already but thought a little update wouldn't hurt.
    Right-I should probably actually do some work (oops).. I hope you're having an absolutely incredible time, it seems from the blog that you are, and I can't wait to hear about it all when you're back.

    Loooads of love, Carla xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. PABLO YGLESIAS!!!!

    te amo mi amor, no se imagina la falta q me hace! necesito que vuelva ya! tengo 93743574307609 cosas que contarle! jamás pensé que me fuera a hacer tantísima falta! Vi algunas fotos, increíble. Q dichoso mi vida disfrute esa experiencia al maximo! yo me muero por vivir algo asi! LO AMO MUCHO VUELVA PRONTO Q YA NO AGUANTOOOO!!!! BESOS Y ABRAZOS ICH LIEBE DICH

    SUU DANIII!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. For Amy Kirkup

    HEYYYY Miss you loads and looooaadsss
    Already planning stuff for when you're back!
    From the sounds of it you're going to be an absolute beast from the trekking etc.
    Love the photo infront of the volcano! Hope you're well

    LOVE YOU
    em xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey Naz!! Not sure if you will see this but I just wanted to say I'm soooo proud of you and I really, really miss you. I am currently sitting in your living room, chilling with your family watching X-Factor with your mum, dad and brothers. They are all really well and we are all looking forward to seeing you soon. I can't wait to hear about your experiences and I hope you've taken lots of pictures (what am I saying? Of course you have!) Big kiss and hug from Seb and the family x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  34. to:Andres Chavarria
    from:neney!
    HOLA como esta andres pura vida , espero que le este llendo muy bien y que le siga llendo muy bien espero que se divierta y que la pase muy bien,siga adelante va ver que todo le va salir muy bien,AQUI LO ESPERO PARA IR AL SKATEPARK! QUE LE VAYA muy bien

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thank you for visiting our blog. Comments are monitored daily and we will ensure messages are promptly delivered to your loved ones. Please ensure you state the name of the person to whom your message is addressed. This is so we don't miss any out. Muchas gracias!

Pura Vida!