Welcome to the official blog for Expedition 13A. We'll be keeping you posted on all the happenings of life on expedition from 10th January to 11th April. Check back and please send us your comments, it's free and easy. ¡Pura vida!
Thursday, 18 November 2010
X-Ray 7 Photoblog
A view of life in Miraflor through the lens of 10L pixman, David.
Jan van Arkel 10L X-ray 7 Lieve Jan, Fijn om je op een foto te zien op de Raleigh site genietend van de zon. Dit doet ons goed. We missen je aanwezigheid. Fijn dat je daar veel voor Nicaraguanen kan betekenen. Het moet een voldaan gevoel zijn als het community center gestalte gaat krijgen. Hopend heb je het een beetje relaxter. Komende week ga je weer naar fieldbase. Wij hopen gauw wat van je te kunnen vernemen. We love the blogs. Het gaat hier allemaal weer zijn gangetje. Donkere dagen voor Kerst en Sint. Florentine en Ruthger hebben de schoolcijferlijsten mogen ontvangen. Ze zijn lekker bezig geweest. Oom Gerard is van zijn paard gevallen. Schrik niet hij heeft acht ribben gebroken. Dat was wel schrikken zeg. Nu onder de pijnstillers en met veel rust genezen. Het is gelukkig goed afgelopen. Trouwens KPN heeft alles kwijt gescholden. Dat is fijn he. Het boek is nu wat jou betreft gesloten vertelde de dame. Fijn he. We kijken uit naar je telefoontje. Liefs van ons allen Kussen xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
For Pam Martínez, hola cariño, me dispongo a ponerte unas letricas en una súper carta que te han escrito los papás... efectivamente están aquíííí´! Marco Aurelio ha nacido, el pasado día 14/11 a las 18:53 con 3,480 kg. y 50 cm. de altura, está pa' comérselo, es una preciosidad, pero bueno qué te voy a contar yo... Te escribo ahora que estoy un poco más recuperada, acabo de darle de mamar a tu sobrino que duerme como un bendito, lo hemos vestido de universitario.... qué mono!! Hasta ahora no he hecho más actividad que amamantar gracias a los papás que nos han ayudado a todo y a Aure que es un padrazo. Bueno, felicidades chacha!!!! En breve recibirás nuestras letricas, tu sobrino te manda besos de rosca, es un cachondo con 5 días y se tira unos pedos de infarto, te quiero mucho, disfruta y espero que esta noticia te alegre lo que te queda de semana, muchísimos besos. Muak. Gloria.
So good to see pics of you on here - you make a great climbing frame!!! Dad and I were saying that we could just see you kicking around a football with the local kids at the end of the working day. Thanks so much for the letter. Granny and Grandad will be thrilled to get theirs. Hope you get the communty centre finished and you travel safely back to fieldbase. Look forward to seeing you at the end of the month - we'll save you some Thanksgiving Turkey :). Lots of love, mum xxx
Hola! Sorry I've been a tad crap in sending messages. I'm doing a play at uni in a couple of weeks (a puppet play I hasten to add) and one of the charity shops has lent us loads of props. We decided to give a little back.
So... I just spent the morning in a father Christmas outfit on the streets of Exeter as part of a massive parade for charities and shiz. Unfortunately we were slap bang in between the reindeer and Santa himself, so no-one really looked at us. Which was probably for the best anyway - I went to the pound shop to get my santa outfit and they'd run out of hats so I had to opt for the red furry cowboy one instead.
Got to write a 2000 word essay tonight. Jealous much?
Hope you are well, they've put new piccies of your crew up on the blog and there's one of you looking into the distance in ultimate pensieve, gap-yah mode...looks good!
Have you had a good week? I've been really busy, moving bits around at work and things are now busy as we are properly going for launch, got lots to sort out and stuff so it's been good... Played a bit of footy and went for a swim for the first time in about a year or so this week too which was cool...
Just got in from watching some footy (it's Saturday night) and Gills won an away game today (after over 18 months and 35 games) so that's made me pretty happy! Had a day out and about exploring today and I saw about 10 flats too, some really nice - all in good locations, so will keep looking and i've started to narrow it down, it's all very exciting looking around for somewhere to live - can't wait! I've got my debut tomorrow for Albion at the footy club in the cup competition so i'm pretty excited about that too - little bit nervous as well... Went for drinks with the team last night and that was funny. They were all pissed after a glass of wine, very cheap night out! But good fun and they are all a nice bunch, a lot more sociable than the london lot so that's cool. We've been going for team lunches and even if it's only just a couple of us we will go for lunch which is nice. Saw some great t-shirts on people today as I mooched - i'm now keeping a record of what I see and i'll send them all to you soon - I don't think people have a clue what they say! Had my haircut too here today and it didn't go too badly. I've still got all my moles and don't look like a complete twat so that's great! When do you move on to your next challenge? It must be pretty soon. It's now only 1 month until I see you! YAY! Have you got any more of my postcards? I've sent the last one now as they have been pretty slow but I reckon you must have had a HK one by now.
Got more flats to look at next week as I met some agents today who are off working on things for us. Had a look at some 2-bed places but the 2nd bedroom basically means cutting the master bedroom in half and using some of the space for a wall...bit pointless. Saw a really nice one bedroom place which I think will be perfect and it's brand new and right in the centre of town. I walked around the area afterwards and had a good look and it's close to everything. Hoepfully I'll be able to move out of here before Christmas (fingers crossed)!
There was a dinner party here tonight which was quite good - few too many little screaming children running around if anything though - it came up in conversation tonight that Mimi is young enough to be my (legally) own daughter...that's quite weird... I'm ready to get out now, keep getting woken up by the wailing cat in the mornings when it wants its food and it's time for a bit of space I think. It's been fine to live here though, i'm tucked away in the roof!
Right. Hope X-Ray 7 is going well and you are enjoying. Have you learnt lots of building tricks? Have you got builders bum? Hopefully will hear from you soon when you go back on to changeover, can't be far away!
Love you lots, missing you loads - we've got so much here to explore!
Hello Lovely :) I hope you're well and you've had a good week this week. I loved being able to see a photo of you on this blog, you look fantastic, so happy and healthy. It's good to see that you're having a great time and enjoying yourself. Lovely face fuzz as well, all you need is a ball named Wilson and you could pretend you're on cast away :P Only a few days until I can speak to you again and I'm so excited. Sorry but you've mega missed out, Harry Potter was absolutely incredible. It was exactly as I imagined it to be when I read it and it didn't disappoint, I just wish you could have seen it too! Me and your sister sobbed the whole way through haha. I miss you so much Charlie and I can't wait to be able to speak to you again. I really love you so much, take care, Love Daisy XX
Just seen some pics and the one of you is exactly like the one mum has of you in the downstairs loo, might print it off and put it in mine!!! Looks like you are all doing builders jobs, those muscles will be big. Keep going, we love you, Sis, Bro, Liv and Luc xxxx
Lieve Jan Dank voor je kaart uit Nicargua. Wat een verrassing was dat. Fijn dat je het zo naar je zin hebt daar. Dit project loopt ten einde en wij hopen gauw weer wat van je te horen. Veel liefs en kussen van ons
For Ben Green X-Ray 3 Fantastic to finally get some news and see the photos of you and your group. Looks like it was not raining all the time. You look healthy, Ben. And you found a guitar??!!! We are sending our final letters this week so hope they are at Base Camp before your return home. They are predicting snow in Lux this week. Dad and I leave for St. Andrews on Friday to see the flat. Adrian and Vitto completed the 51 km run in the woods on Sunday in 6 hours and 45 minutes - the legal time. Unbelievable. We are so proud of both of you. Miss you tons, Love, Mum
amy perkins xray3 just seen the latest pics fantastic! you all look so fit and tanned; even baloo got in on one Hope you are enjoying the beach and some well deserved rest time Hope to speak soon Skype? love dad
Amy Perkins x ray3 We loved your photos .What a tan!! You also look very muscled.Your poor little legs are so bitten.I am off to a meeting in Glasgow with Fiona Vernon tomorrow.Work is very busy.Tommy is babysitting when I am away.You look happy in the photos.Do eat lots.We are going to Andy and Joyces on Friday then Dom and Sues on Sat and Sunday then Covent Garden for 2 nights.We will get the train down.We thought you were already back at base so kept waiting for a text.Love you loads Dawnxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
for Persia (x-ray 7) Hey Persia - so i'm guessing you on island now -on the beach! Thinking it might be hotter and less rainy now - looked like hot chocolate wouldn't have been amiss up the volcano. It would be great to see another photo of you - so please jump in if camera pointing in your direction, doesn,t matter if they think you're a diva! Silva is 17 now - i think she missed you - its strange you not being here for her birthday. Daniel had good time paintballing on sunday. I got 50k of plaster home on a trolley and up stairs today - so i'm feeling pretty impressive, though nothing i'm sure compared to your gravel carrying days. Max went to Steph's surprise graduation dinner yesterday. Daniel just been sick so i'll say goodbye...... Enjoy each day - i love you...it's so fantastic that you're doing this ! xx mum
Hey mi niña. Me alegra mucho ver que la estas pasando de maravilla. Ahora que entras en esta ultima fase, espero que vivas al máximo esta única experiencia, como siempre cuidándote mucho. Solo falta menos de un mes y has de querer que esto no acabe, yo no tenes ni idea como quiero que estés acá de nuevo para poder de nuevo pasar tiempo juntos. Espero te haya servido la batería nueva. Si el cel se te apaga cuando abrís el teclado, nose que es, pero así estaba, yo solo lo apagaba y le quitaba la batería y se la volvía a poner al instante y se componía. No tengo idea que es. Cuida tus cosas ahora que llevas mas, tomate fotos con el cel, si miras Dex acordate de mi, escucha de vez en cuando alguna de las canciones que con tanto sentimiento de di. Recorda que estamos a mucha distancia, pero solo físicamente, es el mismo cielo que nos cubre y son sentimientos mas fuertes los que siento, espero me podas sentir desde aquí. Te extraño mucho. Hasta pronto. Besos y abrazos, Jc.
PD: disculpame si me sentiste raro la ultima vez que nos vimos y cuando chateamos, simplemente te extraño mucho y a veces desespero el no poder tenerte cerca. seguiré tratando de cogerle gustito a la espera ;)
Amy Perkin's X-Ray 3, 10L Hi! Your blog's put up photo's ;) and from these I have deduced, a) The accomodation really hasn't been five star, b) The food look's...interesting, and c) I was wron about the mirador. Damn. Nice wellies btw, and I saw the violin! I was like "ah! there's the...thing!" Blue. Buloo. Something like that. Back at fieldbase! I wonder if this means you'll be on facebook tomorrow...hope so, definately hope so :) I'll be on soon as I can for days now, just in case! This message contains far too many exclemation marks. Far too many. Oh well, news from my life, dull and in a cold country as it is: I'm gonna see two of my favorite bands on the 11th, next wednesday I'm going paintballing, this friday I intend to arrive at school in a kilt and morphsuit, and my party will be missing you're wonderful presence. It will be ruuubish without you, I'll spend a night cleaning up chunder. Haha, gaah I miss you. Looking frward to christmas like nothing else right now, and not just for the food. Hope I can properly talk to you soon, glad you're happily through stage two (I think... pictures looked good) Lots of love, Alex Stewart xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Corinne, I don't get this whole blog thing, you know i'm not exactly down with the kids. I have, however, loved reading about your travels and experiences and seeing your beautiful thoughtul face on the pic above. Anne Marie is right, exactly like the one in Turkey up in your mums toilet haha. Thinking about you every day and can't wait to see you very soon. Love you, miss you and want your babies..... Marie x x x
Thank you for visiting our blog. Comments are monitored daily and we will ensure messages are promptly delivered to your loved ones. Please ensure you state the name of the person to whom your message is addressed. This is so we don't miss any out. Muchas gracias!
Jan van Arkel 10L X-ray 7
ReplyDeleteLieve Jan,
Fijn om je op een foto te zien op de Raleigh site genietend van de zon.
Dit doet ons goed. We missen je aanwezigheid. Fijn dat je daar veel voor Nicaraguanen kan betekenen. Het moet een voldaan gevoel zijn als het community center gestalte gaat krijgen.
Hopend heb je het een beetje relaxter. Komende week ga je weer naar fieldbase. Wij hopen gauw wat van je te kunnen vernemen.
We love the blogs.
Het gaat hier allemaal weer zijn gangetje.
Donkere dagen voor Kerst en Sint. Florentine en Ruthger hebben de schoolcijferlijsten mogen ontvangen. Ze zijn lekker bezig geweest.
Oom Gerard is van zijn paard gevallen. Schrik niet hij heeft acht ribben gebroken. Dat was wel schrikken zeg. Nu onder de pijnstillers en met veel rust genezen. Het is gelukkig goed afgelopen. Trouwens KPN heeft alles kwijt gescholden. Dat is fijn he. Het boek is nu wat jou betreft gesloten vertelde de dame. Fijn he.
We kijken uit naar je telefoontje.
Liefs van ons allen Kussen xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
For Laura Woodward (PM), X-Ray 2
ReplyDeleteSavour the sunsets, relish the rain, take lots of photos and ignore any pain! Thinking of you always. VQ.xxxxx
For Pam Martínez, hola cariño, me dispongo a ponerte unas letricas en una súper carta que te han escrito los papás... efectivamente están aquíííí´! Marco Aurelio ha nacido, el pasado día 14/11 a las 18:53 con 3,480 kg. y 50 cm. de altura, está pa' comérselo, es una preciosidad, pero bueno qué te voy a contar yo... Te escribo ahora que estoy un poco más recuperada, acabo de darle de mamar a tu sobrino que duerme como un bendito, lo hemos vestido de universitario.... qué mono!! Hasta ahora no he hecho más actividad que amamantar gracias a los papás que nos han ayudado a todo y a Aure que es un padrazo. Bueno, felicidades chacha!!!! En breve recibirás nuestras letricas, tu sobrino te manda besos de rosca, es un cachondo con 5 días y se tira unos pedos de infarto, te quiero mucho, disfruta y espero que esta noticia te alegre lo que te queda de semana, muchísimos besos. Muak. Gloria.
ReplyDeleteBen - X-Ray 7
ReplyDeleteSo good to see pics of you on here - you make a great climbing frame!!! Dad and I were saying that we could just see you kicking around a football with the local kids at the end of the working day. Thanks so much for the letter. Granny and Grandad will be thrilled to get theirs. Hope you get the communty centre finished and you travel safely back to fieldbase. Look forward to seeing you at the end of the month - we'll save you some Thanksgiving Turkey :). Lots of love, mum xxx
Please could we have an update on Xray 3!! Its been ages
ReplyDeleteCarla: X-Ray 4
ReplyDeleteHola! Sorry I've been a tad crap in sending messages. I'm doing a play at uni in a couple of weeks (a puppet play I hasten to add) and one of the charity shops has lent us loads of props. We decided to give a little back.
So... I just spent the morning in a father Christmas outfit on the streets of Exeter as part of a massive parade for charities and shiz. Unfortunately we were slap bang in between the reindeer and Santa himself, so no-one really looked at us. Which was probably for the best anyway - I went to the pound shop to get my santa outfit and they'd run out of hats so I had to opt for the red furry cowboy one instead.
Got to write a 2000 word essay tonight. Jealous much?
Loads and loads of love xxxxxx
(its your sister by the way)
Corinne Davey (X-Ray 7)
ReplyDeleteHola Guapa!
Hope you are well, they've put new piccies of your crew up on the blog and there's one of you looking into the distance in ultimate pensieve, gap-yah mode...looks good!
Have you had a good week? I've been really busy, moving bits around at work and things are now busy as we are properly going for launch, got lots to sort out and stuff so it's been good... Played a bit of footy and went for a swim for the first time in about a year or so this week too which was cool...
Just got in from watching some footy (it's Saturday night) and Gills won an away game today (after over 18 months and 35 games) so that's made me pretty happy! Had a day out and about exploring today and I saw about 10 flats too, some really nice - all in good locations, so will keep looking and i've started to narrow it down, it's all very exciting looking around for somewhere to live - can't wait!
I've got my debut tomorrow for Albion at the footy club in the cup competition so i'm pretty excited about that too - little bit nervous as well...
Went for drinks with the team last night and that was funny. They were all pissed after a glass of wine, very cheap night out! But good fun and they are all a nice bunch, a lot more sociable than the london lot so that's cool. We've been going for team lunches and even if it's only just a couple of us we will go for lunch which is nice.
Saw some great t-shirts on people today as I mooched - i'm now keeping a record of what I see and i'll send them all to you soon - I don't think people have a clue what they say!
Had my haircut too here today and it didn't go too badly. I've still got all my moles and don't look like a complete twat so that's great!
When do you move on to your next challenge? It must be pretty soon. It's now only 1 month until I see you! YAY! Have you got any more of my postcards? I've sent the last one now as they have been pretty slow but I reckon you must have had a HK one by now.
Got more flats to look at next week as I met some agents today who are off working on things for us. Had a look at some 2-bed places but the 2nd bedroom basically means cutting the master bedroom in half and using some of the space for a wall...bit pointless. Saw a really nice one bedroom place which I think will be perfect and it's brand new and right in the centre of town. I walked around the area afterwards and had a good look and it's close to everything. Hoepfully I'll be able to move out of here before Christmas (fingers crossed)!
There was a dinner party here tonight which was quite good - few too many little screaming children running around if anything though - it came up in conversation tonight that Mimi is young enough to be my (legally) own daughter...that's quite weird... I'm ready to get out now, keep getting woken up by the wailing cat in the mornings when it wants its food and it's time for a bit of space I think. It's been fine to live here though, i'm tucked away in the roof!
Right. Hope X-Ray 7 is going well and you are enjoying. Have you learnt lots of building tricks? Have you got builders bum? Hopefully will hear from you soon when you go back on to changeover, can't be far away!
Love you lots, missing you loads - we've got so much here to explore!
Jamie
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOXXXOX
To Charlie Gledhill-Flynn,
ReplyDeleteHello Lovely :)
I hope you're well and you've had a good week this week. I loved being able to see a photo of you on this blog, you look fantastic, so happy and healthy. It's good to see that you're having a great time and enjoying yourself. Lovely face fuzz as well, all you need is a ball named Wilson and you could pretend you're on cast away :P Only a few days until I can speak to you again and I'm so excited. Sorry but you've mega missed out, Harry Potter was absolutely incredible. It was exactly as I imagined it to be when I read it and it didn't disappoint, I just wish you could have seen it too! Me and your sister sobbed the whole way through haha. I miss you so much Charlie and I can't wait to be able to speak to you again. I really love you so much, take care, Love Daisy XX
For Corinne Davey - X-Ray 7
ReplyDeleteJust seen some pics and the one of you is exactly like the one mum has of you in the downstairs loo, might print it off and put it in mine!!! Looks like you are all doing builders jobs, those muscles will be big. Keep going, we love you, Sis, Bro, Liv and Luc xxxx
jan van arkel x-ray7 10L
ReplyDeleteLieve Jan
Dank voor je kaart uit Nicargua.
Wat een verrassing was dat. Fijn dat je het zo naar je zin hebt daar.
Dit project loopt ten einde en wij hopen gauw weer wat van je te horen.
Veel liefs en kussen van ons
For Ben Green X-Ray 3 Fantastic to finally get some news and see the photos of you and your group. Looks like it was not raining all the time. You look healthy, Ben. And you found a guitar??!!! We are sending our final letters this week so hope they are at Base Camp before your return home. They are predicting snow in Lux this week. Dad and I leave for St. Andrews on Friday to see the flat. Adrian and Vitto completed the 51 km run in the woods on Sunday in 6 hours and 45 minutes - the legal time. Unbelievable. We are so proud of both of you. Miss you tons, Love, Mum
ReplyDeleteamy perkins xray3 just seen the latest pics fantastic! you all look so fit and tanned; even baloo got in on one Hope you are enjoying the beach and some well deserved rest time Hope to speak soon Skype? love dad
ReplyDeleteAmy Perkins x ray3 We loved your photos .What a tan!! You also look very muscled.Your poor little legs are so bitten.I am off to a meeting in Glasgow with Fiona Vernon tomorrow.Work is very busy.Tommy is babysitting when I am away.You look happy in the photos.Do eat lots.We are going to Andy and Joyces on Friday then Dom and Sues on Sat and Sunday then Covent Garden for 2 nights.We will get the train down.We thought you were already back at base so kept waiting for a text.Love you loads Dawnxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ReplyDeletefor Persia (x-ray 7)
ReplyDeleteHey Persia - so i'm guessing you on island now -on the beach! Thinking it might be hotter and less rainy now - looked like hot chocolate wouldn't have been amiss up the volcano. It would be great to see another photo of you - so please jump in if camera pointing in your direction, doesn,t matter if they think you're a diva!
Silva is 17 now - i think she missed you - its strange you not being here for her birthday. Daniel had good time paintballing on sunday. I got 50k of plaster home on a trolley and up stairs today - so i'm feeling pretty impressive, though nothing i'm sure compared to your gravel carrying days.
Max went to Steph's surprise graduation dinner yesterday. Daniel just been sick so i'll say goodbye......
Enjoy each day - i love you...it's so fantastic that you're doing this ! xx mum
To: Cecilia Ruiz - Xray 7
ReplyDeleteFrom: Jc
Hey mi niña. Me alegra mucho ver que la estas pasando de maravilla. Ahora que entras en esta ultima fase, espero que vivas al máximo esta única experiencia, como siempre cuidándote mucho. Solo falta menos de un mes y has de querer que esto no acabe, yo no tenes ni idea como quiero que estés acá de nuevo para poder de nuevo pasar tiempo juntos.
Espero te haya servido la batería nueva. Si el cel se te apaga cuando abrís el teclado, nose que es, pero así estaba, yo solo lo apagaba y le quitaba la batería y se la volvía a poner al instante y se componía. No tengo idea que es. Cuida tus cosas ahora que llevas mas, tomate fotos con el cel, si miras Dex acordate de mi, escucha de vez en cuando alguna de las canciones que con tanto sentimiento de di. Recorda que estamos a mucha distancia, pero solo físicamente, es el mismo cielo que nos cubre y son sentimientos mas fuertes los que siento, espero me podas sentir desde aquí.
Te extraño mucho.
Hasta pronto.
Besos y abrazos, Jc.
PD: disculpame si me sentiste raro la ultima vez que nos vimos y cuando chateamos, simplemente te extraño mucho y a veces desespero el no poder tenerte cerca. seguiré tratando de cogerle gustito a la espera ;)
Amy Perkin's X-Ray 3, 10L
ReplyDeleteHi! Your blog's put up photo's ;) and from these I have deduced, a) The accomodation really hasn't been five star, b) The food look's...interesting, and c) I was wron about the mirador. Damn.
Nice wellies btw, and I saw the violin! I was like "ah! there's the...thing!" Blue. Buloo. Something like that. Back at fieldbase! I wonder if this means you'll be on facebook tomorrow...hope so, definately hope so :) I'll be on soon as I can for days now, just in case!
This message contains far too many exclemation marks. Far too many. Oh well, news from my life, dull and in a cold country as it is: I'm gonna see two of my favorite bands on the 11th, next wednesday I'm going paintballing, this friday I intend to arrive at school in a kilt and morphsuit, and my party will be missing you're wonderful presence. It will be ruuubish without you, I'll spend a night cleaning up chunder. Haha, gaah I miss you. Looking frward to christmas like nothing else right now, and not just for the food. Hope I can properly talk to you soon, glad you're happily through stage two (I think... pictures looked good)
Lots of love,
Alex Stewart
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Corinne Davey X-ray 7
ReplyDeleteCorinne, I don't get this whole blog thing, you know i'm not exactly down with the kids.
I have, however, loved reading about your travels and experiences and seeing your beautiful thoughtul face on the pic above. Anne Marie is right, exactly like the one in Turkey up in your mums toilet haha. Thinking about you every day and can't wait to see you very soon. Love you, miss you and want your babies..... Marie x x x