By Tom Campion
Water is a wonderful thing,
But we take it for granted
And drink it like a king,
Raleigh thought, with a rather long pause,
There must be a way, to help this cause,
Las Tablas was in a faraway land,
So we marched up, enthusiastic like a marching band,
To live and feed on these tortilla wraps,
But importantly so,
To turn on the taps,
X-Ray 6, we sweated and dug,
Our adopted parents kept us warm and snug,
Sunburnt and thirsty, we tried our best,
But the Nicaraguans,
They work with such zest
An amazing community, warm and kind,
An amazing community, we did find,
We were on our best behaviour, kind and good,
And we helped as best we could,
With all our tools of spade and hoe,
Life was sweet as we yelled proper bo,
Succeed we did, with time to spare,
We created smiles that were wide and rare,
We gave them a gift in the simplest form,
For we did something far from the norm,
As Raleigh volunteers we helped to create,
A feeling in the locals,
They described as great,
As Raleigh volunteers we had to believe,
As Raleigh volunteers we did achieve.
To Carla Gottlieb
ReplyDeleteWow Carla, you didn't tell me your friend is a bard! Not sure he'll make the Poet Laureate though! Good luck on your trek - 'those boots were made for walking' so put your best foot forward (whichever one that is!) Ok I've completely lost the plot now so before I embarrass myself or you any further I better sign off....
Love you loads, Mum, Dad and a very greedy dog! xxxx
=)
ReplyDeleteproud of my baby brother...
x
For Graham Smith Xray 1
ReplyDeleteHey honey love you to bits, it was so good to talk to you missing you so much, only 3 weeks now though hey?! :-) make the most of your last phase am looking forward to hearing what it is and what youll be doing. SO proud of you, you are amazing! love you millions x x x x x
Corinne Davey - XRAY 7 (part 1)
ReplyDeleteWE GOT THE MOOLAAAAAH! Like all of it...it’s all done all the working capital and everything! The Italians came back to us during the night with the news – should all mean that we are good for a January launch so that’s amazing news, it’s taken so bloody long! I think our launch date will actually be two years to the day since I started working with Harbour...
I’ve been out looking at places to live today, this week and I’ve found some nice flats. Hopefully I can get the ball rolling on that front now too!yay! They are all a lot better than what I found last weekend and I’ve found older buildings but with nicely renovated space which is bigger than the new stuff they are building too. Saw a really nice one on Friday night – the landlord was the family living there are the moment so it was all really nicely done. And the address was: Elegant Terrace, Happy View Terrace, Happy Valley...sounds like a good address to me! I’ve just got in from seeing another 11 flats and I think I will go for the Happy Valley one now. It was nice and a little bit away from serious hustle and bustle. It’s a nice walk to the mtr station as well as being close to the tram station and also Hong Kong football club. Saw another couple of nice ones today (Saturday) but they weren’t quite as good as the Happy Valley one I think. Hopefully with the positive mCAPITAL news I can get on and do something! WAWAWEEWA!
I will probably go ahead and book Korea skiing then, don’t want to end up at Chinese New Year with nothing to do, just in case you’ve not made it out here! Got lots to think about with all that now – will have to look at a removal company to put some stuff in boxes for me to bring out, something for you to think about too I think... All very exciting stuff though, it’s been good being out here but now knowing that i’m here to stay is ace! I’ve looked at flights for you a week or so into February and it’s not too bad from Manchester you can get one for around £400 through STA – I can help you out with that flight, I knew you wanted to hang around at home and look for work etc so that’s cool... I saw that there was Raleigh in Hong Kong so you should try and get a job with them! (if any moderators from Raleigh are ready this, give the lady a job – she’s saved turtles and everything)!
You got the turtles! That’s amazing! Can you remember how to do the turtle hand signalling for scuba diving? Hands on top of each other flat and then wiggle your thumbs! It’s great that you’re going to save them too – I like turtles, you wouldn’t want to see them dying out! Looks like the weather is good out there. Here it’s still nice, like a British summer at the moment (this is the coolest time of year). I’d be wary of the plazzy scousers – you know what they can be like with their funny accents etc! Sounds great and like you’ve got a good few weeks ahead.
Corinne Davey XRAY7 (part 2)
ReplyDeleteIt’s not long until we get home now – I land at 5am on 22nd December, less than a month away now! I’m hoping to be at chez Davey by about 4pm as well I think, quicker if I can’t bring George because of weather but I want to bring George, he needs a big run and stuff – think he’s going to be used quite a bit over the festive season so that’s good. Then he’s going to go to his new Kentish home because his garage is complete..... Barn sounds even better every time I speak to Mum by the way, it’s going to be really Christmassy down there with the open fire and walks to the pub and stuff, can’t wait! Hopefully you’ll get to see it all at some point. (Oh yeh, heard back from the police and they’ve decided to punish me and Jorge. Really pissed off because they clearly hadn’t read the letter I sent them to explain the situation or spoken to the traffic warden who agreed with me – I could take it to court but I’m not sure that that’s worth it!)
It’s my birthday next weekend and I don’t really feel ready for it. I think it’s because it’s not cold here and it’s sunny (you know it’s snowing in the UK)! Anyway, luckily it is the HKFC soccer section Christmas Party on the 4th and so I will see my 24th in, probably in a club somewhere afterwards. Not sure if it’s a good thing the boys knowing about it – I won’t have to buy a drink all night but I will quite possibly get krunk. You’ve not had a drink for 6 ½ weeks now have you? That must be weird...
Couple of other bits to tell you about. Had my haircut for the first time last weekend by a bloke who thought he was like a Chinese Edward Scissor hands. His head kept swaying after he’d cut tiny bits of hair off and he was getting down low and looking into the mirror to get all his angles right and stuff...it was dead funny! Also, I paid for a cheese and ham toastie on my octopus card last weekend. That shouldn’t be exciting but I thought it was great! Oh yeah and I saw another great t-shirt today: “I can tell why you suck”! Naughty, naughty I thought but I don’t think the guy wearing it had a clue...
Have fun with the turtles, make sure you do the hand signals at them – they might think you’re like Dr Doolittle or something...
Jamie XXXXXXXXOOXXXXXBBBBBBBBXXXOX
Alex Jerrard Zulu 3. Hope the packing went well. Good luck on the trek. It sounds fantastic. It's snowing here, so hope it is warmer where you are. So proud of you - amazing achievement. Lots of love from us all M&Dx
ReplyDeleteHolly (Phase2 Xray2), I just got back from PV last night. We had a good time but we were missing you. The three of us took the bus up to see Jean Pierre and Yael in El Tuito. They send their good wishes. Natalie and I also went up to Sayulita for a little shopping. They had bad flooding this year so the ocean water was not very clean. I'm hoping to try surfing when I go back in Jan. Still no snow on the ground here. We've had a few snow flurries but nothing is sticking because it is still so warm (mid 50's today). Not much else is new around here. Christmas dinner might be at aunt Jean's clubhouse. Cousin Diane moved back to Colorado and her daughter Anna will be visiting that week. She's working as a professional photographer in NYC now so it will be fun to talk with her. I hope that you've been able to take some photos, the scenery looks fantasitic. You look great in all of the pictures that have been posted ... Happy and smiling. Your face looks thinner ... you're probably in great shape from all of that hiking. I'm glad that you were assigned to the turtle project, that should be a fun way to end your Raleigh experience. Send us an email when you get back to fieldbase before you take off for your final 5 days in Costa Rica.
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
Tom Campion, bard of Shropshire!!! Well done XRay 6 and good luck in your environmental challenge. We are delighted that everyone is enjoying the experiences and all making such life long friends.
ReplyDeleteSee you all to soon in cold cold UK.
Kate & Barry Campion
To Carla (Zulu 3)
ReplyDeleteThanks for your email - I'll make sure your instructions are carried out! No details on the blog yet though so I don't know which group Tom's in. Your post is just beginning to arrive - we had a lovely postcard yesterday and Nabs apparently got very emotional when she got hers! Sadly she won't be here for the XF final as she'll be down in Cornwall. Holly was home this weekend and we all trooped up to town to see Bill Bailey - absolutely brilliant! I'll have to get you tickets next time around or maybe the DVD would do? Pete and Rob (and Bernard!) are holding an open house today so we're about to pop round for a cup of tea - may have to take some dog biscuits with me and hope that Finn doesn't get too jealous! Will write again soon. Love you, miss you, Mum xxxxxx
Emma Lewis
ReplyDeleteHi Mole, hope the trip to your new expedition went ok and you start to feel better soon. Freezing here, challening week ahead with snow and ice, sure yours will be too, fantastic to talk with you,everything crossed that this last phase goes well, counting the days. Love you loads, Ratty x x x x
Message for Amy Cooper
ReplyDeleteZulu 4
Hi Amy
Hope you have arrived safely at Volcan Irazu!
We googled it and it looks very exotic, with moonscape areas! Hope you manage to get some photos. I'm glad you've got a second sleeping bag, I expect it will be a big contrast in the temperatures you've got used to. Pleased you'll get a variety of food as well!
It is very,very cold here and the roads were icy again today. I went with Auntie Lanie to walk the dogs and it was minus 7 at 9am this morning!When I was driving home, I had to pull over to let a car go past and I got stuck and couldn't get back on the road again, my front wheels just kept spinning! Auntie Lanie and Uncle Raymond had to push the car off the verge. Quite a little drama for a time!
Did you buy anything from Ropa Americana? I can't wait to see the new additions to your wardrobe!
Did Bec tell you that Stu and some of his friends are going to Las Vegas? We're giving him dollars for Christmas.
Uncle Jon is going to try and top up your Spanish phone this week. I'll let you know if he's successful.We've got Jack a talking Buzz Lightyear for Christmas. He wanted the English version so the phrases are in English!We could get you the Spanish version??
Hope you don't get too cold at night!I'm going to look to see if there are any books on Amazon about San Lucas and it's history.
Will be in touch again soon.
Take care love,
With lots of love Mum and Dad xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ben,
ReplyDeletemany thanks for the email and the video - really enjoyed seeing it.
Can't wait to hear about your adventure.
We are currently in St. A's - in the snow and cold (0 degree C). Flat coming on well - think you will approve.
Love Dad
Amy Perkins zulu 6 lost all my previous message so here goes again.There is a posting saying today is the last day for messages for the Nicaraguan groups.We have had a fine time at Haslemere but today it is negative 8 so heading to London with my down jacket.Poor granny has loads of snow.We are going to Churchills Cabinet war rooms which your dad will find fascinating.Joseph will come for your party and will spend the weekend with us.If you want to invite folk do and we will convert the piano room into a bunkhouse.I am sure it will be luxury compared to what you have now.Have your new group discovered that you are pathologically cheerful yet?We miss your smile and laughs and cant wait to get you home to fatten up on spaghetti carbonara and peanut butter.Love you loads Mum xxxxxxxxxxxx
ReplyDeleteAmy Perkins, Zulu 6
ReplyDeleteHi! I'm feart, the blog thing says there's a cut off date for messages to your group and it's like tomorrow =o So apparently this may be my last message. The horror! Well...probably not, 'cause I might as well send one tomorrow. And then keep sending them. For fun. Yayaa.
No idea what I'm on about tbh, but ah well. Hope I can keep sending messages, even if they are pretty irritating. Anyway, if it really is a cut off thing then this is news for the future: I'ma crash my car ('cause next week I'm starting to drive), I'm removing all mangos from the kitchen because of the party next weekend, It's going to snow again, and therefore I'll be cold and crash my car :) Again. And I'll be hoping your having a great time violining and stuff. :P You being the savior of the nicaraguan peoples. (some of them at least. And the turtles. And trees. Well done you) ;)
Hope your still having an amazing time! I can't wait to see you again, missing you way too much!
Lots of love,
Alex Stewart
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Alex Jerrard Zulu 3.
ReplyDeleteHi Saints whipped sorry old Cheltenham 3-0 in the FA Cup & have Blackpool @ home. Swindon drew.
Hope all is going well and that you do not have too many blisters? Take care, trek well and safely.
For Jack zulu 1
ReplyDeletehi good luck on the trek, thinking about you. The weather here is freezing but dad and I are off to venice on friday for a long weekend break. Louise will be starting her exams next week so fingers crossed. grandad is ok but still in hospital and very grumpy. hope you don't get blisters and I will see you at the airport when you get home on the 17th, let me know if any changes of plan. enjoy the trek keep eating you will need the calories
lots of love mum