By Sophie Gatward, Alpha 6
It’s only honest to say that all members of the Alpha 6 team didn’t truly know what we were all getting ourselves into when we found out we were scheduled to go to Achuapa. Firstly it being one of the most remote of all the community projects it was not only difficult to assimilate into the community but the physical effort behind bringing clean drinking water beyond our imagination. Calling it different from home would be insufficient, calling it an eye-opener would be and understatement, but calling it life-changing would seem a perfect fit for our three-week journey.
It took us two days to reach Achuapa with several transits (two separate buses, a truck and of course walking). We arrived to a warm welcome from the community sitting in their plastic chairs brought from their homes (they became our prized possession after a long and hot morning at the work site.) We regrettably, got to stay with those families only for a couple of nights before moving uphill to what soon became our real Nicaraguan families. On the whole it can definitely be said that we all made a real impact on each others’ lives. Over the two weeks the whole group met around 7am, arriving at the work site by 8am although we were all wide awake much earlier. Between the chickens and the roosters’, clucks and doos, and the mass invasions, we all definitely had at least one natural “alarm clock”. Pay no mind to the thumping of freshly pressed tortillas, the constant radio chatter, and overly excited children.
As for our days, none of us ever seemed to know exactly what was planned for us “labourers”. We all laughed when we were told to meet up at a particular time because “Nicaraguan” time is definitely not the same as normal world time. We started our first day up two our knees in thick squishy and all encompassing mud! I figured we were up for a tough couple of weeks with a kick-start like that and wow, was I right. What I didn’t take into account was how tough we proved to be. We located a spring, dug the mud, placed the rocks, mixed the cement, formed numerous industrial revolution-esque labour lines to move the many materials, and dug a trench or two. I think we can all agree we spent the majority of our working hours shoveling into the flesh of the earth while constantly attempting to amp up our tans.
Between the “sweaty eyes”, the ants hopping into our boots, and seriously taped up zinc-oxide hands, it felt like we experienced it all.
Not only did we get physically tougher, moving bigger rocks nearly every day but also mentally, forcing through those hot days where we truly didn’t think we could shovel one more heap. We learned to encourage each other, we learned to rest when we were tired, and we learned to laugh a lot, mostly at each others’ expense.
We were told the food would be simple but they didn’t say how satisfying it would taste. The rice, beans, tortillas, eggs, cheese, and really rare chicken were some of my favourite moments of the day. Friends said they liked showering best.
This chronicle wouldn’t be nearly complete if it didn’t thoroughly explain the generosity behind everyone of our host families. Yali and Joe’s parents bought them socks from Achuapa one day. Kenneth and Vicky couldn’t help but fall in love with Mercedes, a young single mom who truly wants better things for her two-year old daughter. Graham and Martin’s sister always washed their dirty work clothes ensuring their T-shirts were as “super blanco” as they liked. Rosie and Holly’s mom owned the community store and when Holly fell ill, she nursed her like one of her daughters.
Our PMs, Annie, Pam and Phil had a mom whose smile literally brightened the room. She was always making them coffee and never declined our requests to use their shower when our water ran out for the day. Harry and Eammon’s younger brothers would walk them to and from their home to protect them from the vicious dogs. Adri and myself had a wild animal viewing nearly every evening. I think they loved the look on my face every time I saw something new and different from home. To say each and every one of our families was kind and helpful wouldn’t at all convey their generosity.
In conclusion, all of us had an amazing time. We learned a lot about ourselves and each other. Our biggest fear was being separated in Phase 2. I wish everyone the very best in their next two phases!
Love,
Sophie.
To Kenneth(shukwan),Yeung
ReplyDeleteAlpha 6 team.
Congratulation to all of U completed the water task & to enter another stage soon.
The photos show all are happy & healthy.
Keep on & do the best!
With all the best wishes to all of U !
Love from Mammy.
To Graham Smith Hotel 11
ReplyDeleteJust seen blog about your first phase, and e-mail so good to hear from you. Sounds like you are having a life changing experience, and are having an amazing time.
Hope fireworks went well, it was very wet bonfire night here.
Hope your next phase is as good as first and you don`t have too many blisters!
Everyone here fine and looking forward to seeing you back safely, keep in touch when you can, look forward to hearing from you, lots of love from us all, Mum XXX
Ben Walters - X-Ray 7
ReplyDeleteHey Ben
I rebooked your flight (you didn't manage to get back online - so the bad news is that the only flight on the 27th with Delta is at 0830 - aaarrgh!!). Oh well.
Miraflor sounds exciting, I hope you go to a nice family (I am sure you will). You will be virtually fluent by the time you get back :).
Will save some Thanksgiving turkey dinner for you ....
love you and miss you
mum xxx
Ben Walters - X-Ray 7
ReplyDeletePS Ben
Granny and Grandad would probably really appreciate it if you wrote to them while you're there .... Tomich House, By Beauly, Inverness-shire, IV4 7AS.
love again
mum xx
For Yeung Shu Kwan (Kenneth) formerly from Alpha 6 and now with X-Ray 1 going on the Maribios Trek in Nicaragua.
ReplyDeleteWhat incredibly hard work you are doing! I cannot begin to fathom the constant challenges you face but deeply admire the changes you are bringing to the people of Nicaragua. You know first-hand how critical safe, clean drinking water is.
Bill's father is very active at 93 and will visit us for Thanksgiving. Of course we will feast with a big turkey and there are 3 other families joining.
We think of you often! Un abrazo fuerte!
=Emily
To Alice Dixon
ReplyDeleteThere appear to be 115 fish species in the river delta you are going to, Al, though no mention of piranhas... The most exciting looks to be a type of mullet! No idea how you catch them though - perhaps they also like rice and beans?
Hope you made it out there safely in your canoe and have a great time
Hugo xx
Hey Ben, (x ray 7)
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the new project, really pleased that you are doing this!!!! life at home is good, much the same really Palace keep on losing..now way down at the bottom...Oscar keeps asking when you will be home and will you bring him back a monkey...Archie is now walking (nah only kidding!!) I'm off to Manchester for a few days now..boring conference...hope your foot and finger are better!!!!!! btw you have an unconditional offer for that farming degree up at East Anglia;) take care miss you loads dad and the crowd.
To Amy Perkins, 10L, X-Ray 3
ReplyDeleteGood evening. Or morning...whatever time it is where you are. Hopw you got the letter alright and liked it, though knowing me I'll have sent it to poland and it'll look as if it was written by an illiterate. I'm just that damn suave and sophisticated. Indeed, I just had to delete and respell it, then checked google to see if I spelt it right. And I got a B in english...
But enough of me, I want to hear about you :) How's the mirador? I've now worked out (perhaps wrongly) that a mirador is the big bit of jungle you've strung stuff up in to keep you all dry? ...I knew it. Genius, that's me. *cough* Hope you're having an amzing time in your mirador and planting trees, you hippy :P It's absolutely baltic here. Froze on the way to town today. ah well, I've written too much again, they'll shout at me. I'm feart of these people. Loved talking to you last week and so sad I missed you on friday :/ I'm missing you sooooo much, you better be havin' a great time!
Alex Stewart
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To Alex J => X-Ray 6
ReplyDeleteHi Alex. Swindon amazingly won, away to Plymouth in the FA Cup. Saints won as well and now face Cheltenham Town in round Two.
All is good here; it is hissing down @ the moment and has turned very, very cold. We hope you are keeping safe and well.
Take care
D,D,K&H
Dr Cat! X ray 3
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your email! Sounds absolutely AMAZING! Saw a pic of you on the website- looks v cool, scenery looks fantastic!
Anaes good- doing stuff on my own, oncall for arrests next week (prob not as good as climbing a VOLCANO though- thats MEGA!)
All looks turbo super great fun!
Take care! HHH x(have emailed you!)
For Laura Woodward - X-Ray 2
ReplyDeleteHola Lau - Comme esta? Muy bien we hope.
Hope all is well and you're not getting webbed feet and it's a bit drier! Hopefully on your trek you will have better weather - the rainy season is passing - truly! November is always a better month and drier and hotter - so we are told :-)) So looking forward to an upate and pictures on the blog.
All well here. Weather has been foul, it's cold, raining and windy - so Dad and I both would prefer to be with you - although I'll stall on that one for me on 2nd thoughts -I'd stay at base camp and send Dad trekking!!
Been very busy at the office both of us. New building going apace now. Had dinner with Kingston & Mary to help plan their itinerary for NZ in Jan/Feb/March - lucky devils! We have still to decide what we are doing in Feb/March time - could well be in Vancouver visiting you lot!
Not much tennis because of the weather which is a bit of a pain.
I've had proper flu which wasn't fun at all for over 2 weeks - though I was only bedridden for about 3 days over a Fri, Sat and Sun. Went back to work on the Monday and every so often closed my door and put my head on the desk!! Trouble is I had to be here as so much was happening. Ok now though thank heaven.
Hope you got Dad's letter he wrote to you before you left. If you didn't it should be there when you get back.
Roxy going very well - apart from Dad reversing into a wall and him needing to get the bumper repaired/replaced. Don't ask!!!! I gave him enough grief!! :-)
Keep walking, keep smiling, keep taking the malaria pills, hope you don't get sore feet and we are thinking and talking about you lots - we'd love to be flies on a wall (or tree!). Perhaps not on the long drops though ......
Lots of love
Mum and Dad
CARLA,
ReplyDeleteI'm still not sure if you are getting any of these messages but i am trying all the time. I hope you are doing well! I miss you a lot now so looking forward to seeing you soon! Im so jealous of everything you've been up to. It's cold here and my early starts and late nights are not fun with no carla chats in the middle.
looking forward to catching up soon bbooxx
love nabbo xx