By Lydia Barge, Alpha 4
When I learned that I had been assigned to Alpha 4 to work on an environmental project on San Lucas Island, I was thrilled to the bone. The fact that there was a derelict prison which once housed Costa Rica’s most notorious criminals, added more intrigue to the project. San Lucas Island is now a designated heritage site and wildlife reserve and we were tasked to work on shelters to make the place more visitor-friendly.
It was rather stressful at the beginning. Our bus had broken down during our journey there and it was a challenge trying to set up the camp and our living area. If we didn’t build our basha beds well, it would get soaked from the rain. Still, we were quite lucky as it only rained twice in the evenings during our stay.
The mosquitoes on San Lucas were really something to write home about. They must’ve been of some genetically superior species; almost impossible to ward off in spite of the copious amounts of repellant. There were a million other bugs that shared our home and we learned to always check for crabs before climbing into bed at night.
After a few days we got used to the less comfortable living conditions, smelling bad, and wearing damp clothes all the time. Fortunately the sea was right at our doorstep so we could always jump in for a dip to wash ourselves.
Work on the project took time to get off the ground because we were guided by the rangers and at first it seemed as if their plans were changing all the time. But eventually it all came together and we really had fun building the visitor shelter and a fence to cordon off the rangers’ private area. We also built a trail to connect our part of the beach to another one called Hacienda Vieja.
It was amazing being on that island, as we got to learn about the history of the place. The tour around the prison and the stories gave the place an eerie setting. People who had read a book by a former inmate said they that it was easy to imagine how horrific it was. I reckon it would be good if the prison building were restored in such a way to make it a better experience for the tourists.
Having out jungle camp on the beach was incredible. The evenings were cool and we could chill out with a great view before us. I think we’ve all matured a little bit from this experience of living so closely and sharing so much over the 19 days. I was always encouraged by how well the team worked together. It was also great to have two Nicaraguans, Josi and Ariana in our group. I can say two more things in Spanish now, thanks to them – “Tengo ambre” and “estoy cansada”.
I don’t think anyone of us realized that we could actually do the construction work and wield a machete like how we did. I felt all the hard work of sawing, cutting, nailing and hammering under the hot sun paid off when one of the rangers, Don Julio wrote us a letter of appreciation thanking us for our help, because that was why we were there – to make a difference. After this project I feel that in a way, we own part of San Lucas now, and that for me, is priceless.
Graham Smith Alpha 6
ReplyDeleteHey honey you okay? Glad to hear your safely on your way back to costa, hope the journeys okay. Im really looking forward to talking to you tonight and hopefully getting an email letting me know whats been going on :-) Hope its been brilliant.
I ran my first GP surgery on my own yesterday it was really fun! Got ladies dinner tomorrow, other than that no plans. Oh the Anthony & Cleopatra theatre production was so good, but the woman next to me fell asleep within 5 mins and snored the whole way through! It was quite funny though. Anyways love you lots x x x x x x x x x
To Carla (Alpha 7)
ReplyDeleteOH GAV,
just been doing some cheeky stalking - you have dengue fever?????OH MA GODD - are you ok? (Why am I asking, you can't reply to this but basically I HOPE YOU ARE OKKKKK) I think that may trump my gap yah dysentry incident (you know the one im talking about) and weird tropical mouldy rashes if its any consolation - you now hold the crown for impressively vicious gap yah diseases.YAY YOU. In all seriousness, I do hope you are getting better and not taking on too much. Wish I could be there to nurse you (wink wink nudge nudge)
I have JUST sent you an epic card detailing the sheer dullness that is my life - libes,home,telly,libes,home,telly,so please be excited.I hope it arrives reaasonably soon.Going home this weekend to escape the bubble and fit in some cheeky corner house action with the shakey one and the little one - it won't be the same without you.I really don't have much else to say - must get back to my standard activity of death-staring noisy freshers who are terrified of me because I keep telling them off for making too much noise. I just know that all your new friends are going to think I'm really cool after this comment... YEAH. I am. Its not even an act.I am living the final year university dream. I haven't even been out for ten whole days.
Right, back to 19th century french realism as a vessel for historicizing massive social change.SURE. MISS YOU LOVE YOU HOPE YOU ARE OK
swizz
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Heys you,
ReplyDeleteI just received your email and it came on the right time. I'm glad my messages helped you dealing with all the hard times you had to face. I've been seeing everything on the blog. Now you're so fit you probably will get that job on RAF very easily. I bet now you can see things/Life in a different perspective. Today I received bad news, my uncle died today :( so I'm going to Madeira 2morrow. It's really sad and even worst see my mother dealing with the situation.
I will send you news about tottenham I had thought about that before but I wasnt sure if you knew. I want to ask you a favor as well. If you can and if its possible can you send me a letter on the mean time until the changeover? Pleasee :P If it's possible send it to: 1, Leng Crescent, Eaton, NR4 7NX Norwich
Speak with you soon xxxx :)
Susete xxx
Heys sweetheart,
ReplyDeleteI'm now in Madeira at my mums village. It's really hard being here with this situation, even worst to my mum, she's a little bit in shock. Sorry it's not a very happy message but I really need to share with you, even if you can't answer it makes me feel better. I didn't see the messages on the blog so I hope they are delivering all the messages. Madeira it's really beautiful if you like Costa Rica probably you would like madeira. It has a lot of hills and amazing views. One day I will show you. I couldn't live here though it´s too quiet for me lol I'll come back to Portugal continental this sunday so won't be a long stay.
Speak with you soon xxxxxxxxxxx :)
Susete
hi Martin Fallon, come on we would love to see photos of your group, have they worn you out yet? cant wait to hear all about it. Everybody back at home is ok, went to see the fireworks in the south park last night, Mitchell moaned cause he had to walk, am now working 4 full days, its getting busy now,Marks still with us and Katies enjoying uni, Grannys fine she keeps asking after you she wanted your address to send a postcard! Granda,s gount keeps on returning which gets him down. Anyway would love to hear from you, hope your enjoying it lots of love from all of us back home xxx
ReplyDeleteHey Beckles :)
ReplyDeleteHows thing? I got your card the other day THANKYOUUUU :) I have been reading your page thing, and find it hilarious that you've been washing in the sea. Could you get any more different from your black and white perfectly presented show bathroom!??
I am very jealous, sounds like your having a brill time, you can teach me how to make a basha bed when you get back and we'll go camp out in the school field near my house :) haha
Things are good here, I should really by doing work for college and getting fit and healthy but as per usual I am spending 90% of my time and money out drinking then suffering the day after .. Ooops.... You are definitely doing something with your life!!!
Hope the rest of your trip goes well,
Love woooo
CAZMATRON
xxx
To Adrian Edwards
ReplyDeleteHi Adrian hope your well,managed to track your team down. looks abit better than the prison that im at,real hard core not like the ones backhere.were all well looking foward to christmas,spoke to your mum the other day,shes ok and misses you.aunty joe asks about you i will try and link the blog through to her.Nice tats, Why are you always standing on the end of the pics? Good to see your looking well. see you soon will drop you a line soon ...
Alden & Kath