Tuesday, 16 November 2010

Making chocolate with X-Ray 5 in Talamanca

The Bravo 4 Roadtrip team (Sarah, Vanessa, Carl and Roberto) have just got back from a chocolate flavoured visit to see X-Ray 5. The group are building a new school in the community of Coroma, part of the Talamanca indiginous reserve on the Carribbean side of Costa Rica.

It's an adventure just to get to the project with a thirty minute boat trip upstream in a wooden boat. We landed on the riverbank to be met by the group - happy to see us, and the 100kg of cement we had brought with us to top up their supplies. A sweaty walk later and the Fieldbase team and cement were welcomed into the group's home - one of the other school buildings.

The school is coming along really well and the group have been working hard mixing concrete, putting up the wooden framework and laying the foundations. They enjoyed a well earned day off while we were there and showed us how to make chocolate from the raw cocoa pods in the traditional way so we enjoyed a lovely home made cup of hot chocolate! The evening ended with a party in the local community, with a cultural exchange of dancing and much fun had by all.

Adam Tickner has written more in a full update which you can find after the photos....
The boat journey into the reserve
Driver, Carl enjoying the ride
Working on the site
Charlie
The school is progressing well
Ashley roasting the beans
roasting
roasted beans ready to grind
The finished chocolate - yum!

Project Managers Andy and Alice puzzle over the crossword
Cat and Andy battle at chess
The living and eating areas
X-Ray 5 - aren't they lovely

X-Ray 5, Talamanca, by Adam Tickner
Arriving in style by canoe, it was easy to see why Raleigh may have fallen in love with Talamanca. The remoteness of our location is certainly part of the enigma of Corma village, but the beauty of it is the best part. Tucked away in a little known area of Costa Rica we work, and then every day we wash in a clean, fresh river as the sun sets, with jungle all around. No matter how hard the day has been, after this we will all be happy and our nights are spnt mainly laughing, begfore we sleep in total silence.

Meeting a few of the locals was first on the agenda when we arrived. However, the experience was far from the wariness I had expectged from them. Within a day of meeting one of our contacts, Anselmo, we had been invited to view the local chocolate making process, try ripe cocoa beans from the tree, and even start making our own.

After this idyllic start, the hard work on the construction of the new school building started on the overgrown site on Monday. Fast forward to the weekend and the change is massive - plants have been removed and the ground cleared, the foundation trench and porch have both been concreted, the central columns are up along with the main first floor beams and the area in front is now our makeshift yard for mixing concrete and storing the sand and stones we have been collecting from the nearby river.

The visit from Fieldbase has restocked us with cement and chocolate so we're keeping on building. So far the phase has been amazing, looking forward to the next update.

So with thanks from the Bri-Bri reserve, it's 'weste' from them and 'adios' from us.






23 comments:

  1. To: Adam Tickner - X Ray 5 - Wow - been checking blog every day for news! Am so grateful to finally get a new report from my son the reporter! Looks like you're all having amazing time. Very proud of you, love you lots Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. robert and Sarah Bowden17 November 2010 at 13:39

    Charlie Bowden - X Ray 5

    Hi Charlie
    We have just seen the write up on Talamanaca and we are madly jealous of you being able to make youe own chocolate (especially Mum)!! Looks as if you are making great progress on the new school room obviously helped by your prowess with a saw!!(Very impressed)
    England won the first warm up match in Perth, drew the second in Adelaide because of rain, and have just bowled out Australia A for 230 (Tremlett 5-54) in third. Looking good for the opener in Brisbane.
    Thinking of you,
    Love Mum and Dad xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Hiten Mistry X-ray 6

    Hi Hit, I hope you are getting along well in your next phase, This seems like its much tougher than your last one was. Right now its wednesday 17th november. Yesterday mum and shea left in the morning for india and got there last night. I also we to go see paramore yesterday in birmingham, it was reallly good! Im staying at Dipakmamas house at the moment. mama is in india for work so its jus me, mamey, shivan, naiya, anil mama and deepamamey. At the weekend i went to dads and we tried to write you a message but his internet stopped working :S and so dad says hi and hopes your getting on well and having a good time. Im not sure when you will get this message but anyways im babbling :P On friday its comic relief day where we are going to be raising money for charity by dressing up. I have borrowed my friend from cleeves gorilla costume, its full on and looks really good. Im not sure if i will wear it is really baggy and gets boiling.Its so weird you being in costa rica and mum being in india, i worked it out and right now your both over 10,000 miles away from each other and im actually closer to mum than to you as your roughly 5300 miles away and mum is roughly 4600 miles away. lol i thought i would just let you know that. Oh and dad is like jus under 2 miles away from me :L. Okay hit I will let you go now. Dakshamamey wants to know how are you getting on and if you didnt go that you would be stayin with us aswell but shivan corrected her sayin that we would stay at home :L shivan says 'i miss you Hitenbhai' and nayia is asleep. OKAY enough from me ive wrote a full on essay ( more than georgies letters! :O ) bye hit xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Jack Harrington (X-Ray 5)

    P.S. You can make chocolate now, oh its been noted!! (Love Mandy xxx)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adam Goldsworthy X-Ray 7

    Heys you,

    I hope all is going well with the community center. I bet you know a lot of new spanish words that you can teach me. Today it's my day off, I'm going to buy a christmas tree with both ana's (We're getting more and more distant from Diana :S). I will see a car today as well, hopefully next week I will buy my new car :D. This one is a Vauxhall Corsa of 2001, good enough for my first car here. I will pay a lot of car insurance though, because I have an european driving license and I'm less than 25 years old. Last monday I didn't have my interview because the man who was to interview me got sick, so now I have to wait more months to start :S
    About football, Portugal beat Spain in a friendly game for 4-0 :D England lost with france :S (1-2) and Tottenham won Blackburn for 4-2. Ah and Prince William got engaged with Kate middleton :P lol

    Take care sweetheart xxx
    Lots and lots of love
    Susete xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jezreel Belleza X-Ray 5

    Just saw this blog today although I tried to monitor a few times last week. So, chocolate making and building a school! That's great sweetheart! I'm sure your siblings will be impressed! Enjoy your time and take care always!
    Papa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellie - Xray 5
    Brilliant to finally get an update. Nice scenery, shame about the accom!!! Just kidding. Paris was fun, Grace clan all in good form.
    I gave the huskies a pat from you yesterday.....big of me I know! Spoke to the Neeks, said he has sent a message.....cool! Internet continues to jump out so will not stay long. Just rest assure all is well here, nothing has changed so enjoy the surrounds and new found friends. Only a little over 2 weeks to go......yeeeks. Much love from all 3 xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ellie - Xray 5
    Forgot to say your tan has not gone un-noticed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For Jayome Hutchinson (X-Ray 6)

    Hey Jay,

    Me again :D I said I would comment regularly and well here you go. Still no update for your group which is a bit meh but still, I'm sure when we do get one it will be great to read :) In the mean time, all the other groups seems to be having a great time.
    I've sent you another letter today so I'm not too sure when that will get to you but I will be sending another one soon, once I get yours. Which still hasn't turned up yet. But I estimate it's due any day soon, which is good :)
    Busy few days for me. I'm off to Sheffield tomorrow (19th) for the weekend to see everybody down there which should be good. Hoping its a bit warmer than up here, honestly you would not survive with your Aussie blood hehe. I shall say hello for you and bring back any interesting gossip lol. Just think when I get back it wont be long until you finish this phase. Yay and that means we can hopefully talk again :)
    I haven't got a lot more to say at the moment (saving for your letter you see) but I can give you an update on the sport front again :) Gerrard is out for like 4 weeks, which sucks for us. England lost 2-1 to France and Spain lost 4-0 to Portugal (yes you read that right lol). Apparently England are doing pretty well in Cricket though, in Australia preparing for the Ashes. Which is good news :) :) Well for the English bit of you anyway :P
    In other news, Prince William is getting married lol so thats big news over here. Not much else going on except Harry Potter 7 part 1 is out tomorrow I think. Hopefully it will still be out when you return, so maybe we could go watch it?
    Also I found out I have like three essays due on the same day so thats like argggh, its going to be a crazy few weeks for me :P
    Anyway I shall leave you now before I bore you to death with my completely random comment. I hope you are still having a great time and I'll catch up with the blog (and hopefully your letter) when I return from Sheffield.
    Love you lots and lots (and a bit more :) :P)
    Emma xxx
    P.S. Judith had a really funny dream about us, apparently we were getting married but the thing that made her happy was the amazingly yummy cake and great DJ we had. It made me smile, so I thought I would share it with you and we could smile together :P :P xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emma Lewis Xray 1
    Mole,

    Anyone in xray 1 there!! No news of you to date, where are you we wonder!! Hope all is well and those blisters arent too big by now! Looking forward to hearing all about it. lots and lots of love Ratty. x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy Perkins, 10L, X-Ray 3
    Hi agaaain, you're blog's still got nothing about your group on it! No chuffed hiyy. Apparently Xray 5 are making hot chocolate for folk, and when we saw a picture of Charlie in that group zack just walked in and went, "Nerd muscles!" It was pretty funny. Also, as you're missing my amazing genius faacebook posts, here's one specialy ;) "[Alex Stewart] is the world's first illiterate grammer nazi. So stick that in your spellchecker and correct it." I think it was pretty clever, but then I'm incredibly egotistical, so perhaps it's rubish. Never know. Probably. Meh...
    Okay, last thing about me is tomorrow I'm pretending to be an italian and cooking spaghetti then going to a party in someones basement. They think it'll be awesome, I think it'll be cold and everyone'll leave. We'll see who's right o_O haha
    I'm guessing that you're almost finished phase two? Probably wrong by like a month but ah well, I can't wait to hear from you again. When I saw you were on facebook a couple of weeks ago I was like "...!!!!!!!!!" it was sooo amazing. I'm missing you like hell, no one here is as funny and gorgeous and smart and...and fantastic as you are! Ah! You should get back here now!
    Ach, I'm so selfish. What I mean is I hope you're having an amazing experience in your jungle being a hippy ;P See you soon,
    Alex Stewart
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Message for Ben Green X-Ray 3, Ben, hope all is going well. Nothing on the blog about your group yet and I don't think we will read anything until you are back at base camp. I have looked at the website about the National Park you have been assigned to during this session so will be anxious to hear all about it. Hope the camera is still working! Nothing new on Adrian. It is an endless wait. Dad and I go up to St Andrews next Friday the 26th and hope we don't walk into a disaster. Trevor still working in Stockholm but in Barcelona now with Claudia for a few days. Your book from Wes has arrived even though I bought it as well so now it will be Trevor's for Christmas. Dad working too hard as usual. Big news is that Nick Oigerman's dad (Cargo Lux) is being indicted and may go to jail for fixing prices. I cannot imagine what this will do to that family. Jason has passed Phase II for Eurocontrol. Only 5 did out of 30. But do not know what is next. Miss you loads. We are all looking forward to seeing you in New York. My last letter includes instructions for you regarding hotel if our flight is delayed. Love, Mum

    ReplyDelete
  13. To Anna Woollett Xray5

    Hi Anna

    Just seen the picture of your group with you in it thankfully :-)
    Near the Caribbean and access to an endless supply of chocolate(well the raw materials at any rate);cant be bad.
    Won't go on as I posted a comment recently.
    You can build an ensuite at home for mum when you get back with all this building experience.
    Loads of love from us all in wet cold GB.
    Dad X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey A
    Got your message. Are you getting mine?

    ReplyDelete
  15. For Sarah Kendall X-Ray 2
    Howdy Sarah
    I got your postcard, also Richard's and Grandma & Grandad's. That was a lovely surprise. The scenery in Costa Rica looks gorgeous. Assume you've sent one to Rachel too, but she hasn't got it so is not happy with the post at uni.
    I've read the update for your group on the blog - it sounds a very tiring trek, you must all be exhausted! But no doubt it's worth it. That could be a back view of you on one of the photos? You seem to be allergic to cameras!
    I've had plenty of cuddles with Alex this week! He's an amazingly good baby who conveniently sleeps at night and stays awake for most of the day. Maybe by the time you come back he'll be rolling around and starting to play with toys. They're leaving him with Leanne's mum and going to one of Richard's work functions tonight, which will be the first time they've been out without him.
    I went out for a meal with Sue last night, which was lovely, tho I ate far too much. I haven't eaten today yet, I'm still full. You were the subject of some of our conversation - she's going to look at the blog too.
    Look after yourself, love you & miss you lots,
    Mamma
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. To Charlie Bowden - Alpha 4 gourp

    Hi, How are you? Hope you are well.
    Time flew by since we saw you. I suppose you have been having a good time. In Good health!
    Lots of love Philip, Yukie & Augustine

    ReplyDelete
  17. To Natalia Graczyk (X-ray 5)

    Hello my gorgeous Natalia!

    Check you out making chocolate!

    And building too - its all been noted and I'm expecting a new house (or at the very least an extension) and a chocolatey feast when you get back!

    Cement and cocoa beans - that's Christmas sorted!

    Looks fantastic out there. Hope you are enjoying it. Couldn't be more proud of you.

    Everything is good here, not a lot been happening other than a bit manic at work. Did get to interview England legend Phil Vickery the other day (rugby player btw!). really nice guy, had a good laugh doing the interview on camera, so that's been good.

    Otherwise, Tom continues his escapades in Parsons Green - think its serious now. (I have to give gossip on the boys - I've got nothing myself!) And Joe is stll the world's first 25yr old pensioner. So nothing changes!

    The Ashes starts next week, so will slowly become nocturnal in order to catch as much cricket as possible and watch us beat the Aussies! So excited.

    It's only a month until I see you now and really loking forward to hearing from you next week when you are back at base camp.

    Love you millions, and miss you loads and loads and a whole heap more again.

    Jack
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    PS - have you met Paolo Wanchope yet? Costa Rica's most famous export!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi garry pearson . hope that you are still doing
    ok . missing you loads
    love mum

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amy Perkins XRay3 .Still no blog from xray 3 and all the others are on.It was similar on the trek.We are longing to hear some news from you.I am just back from Inverness this morning .Granny had 27 people for her party and then the family invasion in the evening.It was a great success but she is exhausted.We are off to see the new Harry Potter film this evening.Sophies bedroom has been redecorated so she is doing the finishing touches.Rory is doing scales and arpeggios in preparation for his exam on Friday.Will try and write this week as soon it will be the final posting day.We love you and miss you Love from mum xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Charlie

    Looks like you're having a great time. I loved reading all about the project. It seems incredible that there we were sitting in your room talking about Raleigh - and now here you are DOING it! It was a real pleasure having your mum and dad to stay. I hope they come again. I'm loving being retired although still doing Tutoring/Artemis and about to start 'guiding'. Playing ponies most days and chilling. Christmas is rushing up...will you be home - MrsB

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jezreel Belleza XRAY 5

    Hi,sweetheart! I saw your latest pictures, I particularly like the one with the hammer,hehehe. I am so glad that you look fit and tan! Take care, baby, all's well with us,love you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. To Jezreel Belleza X-Ray 5

    Hi Sweetheart,
    It's papa again...I noticed the tan too..it could also be the side effect of the malaria prophylaxis... glad you have the sun tan cream.. You will have a surprise when on your return via Amsterdam...watch out!

    take care always....
    papa

    ReplyDelete
  23. To Ashley Fletcher x-ray 5?

    Hey Ash

    Good to see your working hard and getting back to your manual labour roots. Started snowing this week in London which is yet another distraction im using to not do my LPC work.

    Heading up to Chris's in MK this weekend for a mini get together so will hav to get a cardboard cutout of you as you won't be able to make it.

    West Brom doing ok in 12th on 19pts 5 clear of relegation zone and beat everton 4-1 at weekend. Also missed the first el classico with barca hammering Real 5-0.

    hope all is well.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thank you for visiting our blog. Comments are monitored daily and we will ensure messages are promptly delivered to your loved ones. Please ensure you state the name of the person to whom your message is addressed. This is so we don't miss any out. Muchas gracias!

Pura Vida!