By Amy Perkins
When my name was announced as one of the Maribios trekkers in Alpha 1, I couldn’t help grinning. I was so excited but really nervous too. How were we going to manage 280km over just 15 days?
We had to take a two-day bus journey to Nicaragua and although it was a long time, the atmosphere was totally buzzing. On the second day we boarded the “disco bus” where the driver played constant full-blast tunes we all happily sang along to.
All the members of Alpha 1 instantly got on like a house on fire and I’m sure we all made some life-long friends. As the trek went on, we all grew closer and we were looking out for each other. As expected, trekking involved some major highs and lows, and it was amazing to go through the process as such a strong team.
Right from the first day of trekking, we were all thrown into cultures and environments completely alien to all of us. We walked through settlements that normal tours would never lead us to. Sleeping in schools, churches and even some people’s houses directed us into a completely different and undoubtedly harder way of living. We visited some places where the water was either so polluted that it had to be filtered through a sock, or so scarce that it was only available for 25 minutes each day. It sounds clichéd but this has really made us appreciate everything so much more. We all craved fresh fruit and veg.
One of my personal highs was reaching the summit of Volcan Cosiguina. We watched both the sunset and the sunrise there and I have never seen such spectacular views in my life. I’m sure none of us have. It made all the hard work worth it, and really put into perspective the colossal distance we covered as we could see right to the horizon which was only half the distance of our trek.
I was surprised to find that the trek was a mental challenge just as much as a physical one, Sometimes the heat was unbearable, sometimes our bags were ridiculously heavy and sometimes we thought we might not make it to that incredible beach. However, we all did. I don’t think any of us will ever forget we finally made it. Some of us even cried with happiness. The Maribios trek has been one of the biggest challenges of our lives and we have all absolutely loved it J
AMY PERKINS! -:
ReplyDeleteAww i love what you wrote about your trip so far :D felt a bit emotional reading it! I'm fair proud of you Bernarda! :D I keep going to leave you a wee comment but I have so much to say that I end up not writing anything! But just so you know I'm on this blog all the time haha! I'm just looking through your pictures now, it's soooo beautiful :) Have you had much chance to play the fiddle? You'll come back like a body builder your arms will be so muscly ;) And I love picture number 23 out of 123 'the rugged look' HOLA GUAPA! ;) you're hair looks really good! I wish I had more to tell you but the highlight of my week is the x factor! hahaha. speak to you soon :) LOVE EE MUN! bisous xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx from aisling incase you didn't realise ;)
Lee Watson
ReplyDeleteIt is really great to read about all the work you guys are doing to help the turtles in Camaronal. Hope you are enjoying yourself in the rainforest and good luck for the Maribios Trek in Nicaragua, look forward to reading more.
Didn't recognise you at first from the photo, new haircut! Love from Longfield.
For Stephen Holmes, xray 5
ReplyDeleteHi Stephen,
hope you are having a great time. we have all been checking the blog to see what you are up to.(even Uncle Ray and Auntie Kate have managed to switch the computer on and have a look!!!) it was good to finally see a couple of photos of you. it looks like you are working hard.
Hope you enjoyed your 18th. its certainly one that you will never forget. hope you got all the cards we posted.
Everyone here is fine and the weather has been rubbish! your not missing much!
enjoy the next few weeks and you take care. looking forward to hearing all your stories. keep having an amazing time.
Lots of love... All your Family xxxxxx
ps..Hope you Mosquito net is doing a good job!!! (good birthday present off me!)
For Rebecca Slater, Alpha 1
ReplyDeleteThis is a wine and olive emergency for Becky Slater!!!
Only kidding!!!! Hope you're all good chicken!!! It looks amazing on here and I am SO proud of you!!! Saying that - hurry up and come home now!! There is a Becky shape hole in my life and I miss you so much it hurts!! I can't wait to have you back and here all about it!!
Look after yourself and enjoy the end!! Not too long until I see you!!! Yay!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ps. sorry it's taken me so long to get this to you - the website kept crashing at work and then it took me an age to work out this team thing...'go go go Alpha 1' though!!! As in go go go down that mountain and get on a plane asap!!
LOVE you!!