Carl, Sarah and I joined Xray 2 the previous night where we camped at the base of Cerro Dragon. As we settled into our sleeping bags ready for an early night we were treated to a chorus of eerie howling from a pack of coyotes. They sounded a little too hungry and a little too close for our liking but eventually we all got off to sleep!
Early the next morning we began our ascent. The changing light and cloud formations over the valleys were absolutely breathtaking. It was a very steep climb, gaining 500m in just a few hours, but Xray 2 are hardcore trekkers and barely stopped for a break until we reached the top. Luckily for us fieldbase crew we had a much deserved rest once we got there! Snacks and time for photos at the top but it then clouded over so we headed back down and onto a nearby village where we would stay for the night in a barn adjacent to the village church. Being the lovely people we are, fieldbase had bought some treats. Scrambled eggs all round went down very well, followed by rice and chickpeas with lots of fresh vegetables. After pineapple and watermelon for dessert we all went to sleep very happy with full stomachs.
We waved goodbye to Xray 2 the following morning as they set off at sunrise. With only 3 days remaining everyone was getting very excited about the beach. We will be sure to let you know when they arrive and finally get to dip their weary feet in the Pacific Ocean!
Views on the way up Cerro Dragon
The steep climb up
One of many weird and wonderful things that live on The Dragon!
PM Laura takes a breather
Xray 2 reaches the summit
The descent
The following morning as we say goodbye to Xray 2
Will and Andy helpfully pointing the way to the beach!
Ellie - XRAY 5
ReplyDeleteG'day, so great to see some new photo's. Oh so tanned! Jealous! Saw Elise's band with Darren on sat night, once again great. Simon P in for dinner last night, Lisa C in town today. Snow is forecast for fri and sat, down to 2 degrees on the week-end. What a home comming eh! Look forward to taking a phone call in the comming days, all well and happy here. lol Swali xxxxx
For Sarah Kendall X Ray 2
ReplyDeleteHowdy Sarah
At last you didn't escape the camera! What a lovely photo at the summit of Cerro Dragon. I keep going back to zoom in & see you. Everyone looks so happy. The scenery isn't bad either!
I've just been to the post office to send you another letter. The assistant asked if Costa Rica was in Europe! Let's hope the rest of them are better at Geography & it arrives in about 2 weeks.
Have a lovely birthday on Thursday. Guess you'll be back at fieldbase then so we might get chance to communicate on msn or skype. Hope you get your card. It seems strange not to be making you a cake, the first time ever. I could make the usual chocolate variety for you to come home to instead, if you still want to be reminded of your age with a number 22 & Smarties!
Happy Birthday,
love you lots & lots
Mamma
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (22 of them!)
Sarah K - Xray 2
ReplyDeleteHello Sarah, not written in a while because I've not really had much to say! Still don't really lol. Went home at the weekend. We went to Beverley shopping on Saturday, and then I went in town with my friends, which was lovely. On Sunday we went down my favourite street - Hessle Road- for some bargain shopping :) We then had everyone around for your 'Birthday' tea - Roast Chicken with all the trimmings! Slightly strange having your birthday tea without you there lol, but I'm sure we can manage another one when you are back! I saw Alex lots this weekend. He gets cuter and cuter every day! The next time I see him will be the same time as you, as I won't be home again until Christmas! I have absolutely non-stop work at Uni, but will hopefully be able to take a break and talk to you later in the week! Skype is ready and waiting! If you sent me a postcard too, I still haven't got it :( Stupid post grrrr. It was very nice to see the photos that have just appeared - your legs look slightly bruised surprise surprise lol!
Anyway, speak soon hopefully
Miss you so so so so so much :( Love you lots and lots
Rachel xxxxx
Andrew Davies, X-Ray 2
ReplyDeleteHello skinny! Seriously stop wasting away in front of my very eyes and get out of the sun it's dangerous. I am writing you this from an office...jelous? moi? Mais non!
Work is going quite well, still sussing it out but it's not rocket science!
Did some shocking calculations last night which meant that I would be living on 4 quid a week after rent, tax, bills, food, phone, internet etc... So have broken the news to Hayz that I can't move out. Don't know how she will manage as she's on less than me... Anyway she can live with me until she sorts herself out, I don't envy her!
That is all my news, going to a nice little xmas party tonight at the royal exchange as one of Lucy Watkins "best clients" at bachet, they don't have any clients hence why I'm going and my mother will be "on duty" at this xmas party selling Penhaligon goods, going to be hilarious!!
Think you're back in contact this weekend so look forward to an email!
Besitos!xxxxxx
To Lou Olverson Costa Rica Xray 2 - From Caroline Millar India Charlie 1. Hey mate!! How is life out there? Your pics and blog look amazing - completely different from here in India. It is incredible out here. I've been on Community for phase I & II and I'm heading back out there on phase III. Can't wait to get the houses completed and hand them over to the villagers - It's going to be emotional. When are you back in the UK? I'm back on 7th Jan but planning on spending xmas and new year on a beach in Goa - bliss. We definitely have to meet up when we're both back home - I imagine we'll have loads of stories to tell!!! Good luck with the rest of the expedidition. Love Caroline xx
ReplyDeleteFor Sarah K, X-ray 2
ReplyDeleteHAPPY BIRTHDAY SARAH!!!! Wow 22 years old! I feel young lol :) It was lovely to talk yesterday and will hopefully later today as well. Can't wait cos I miss you loads and loads! Hope you had a nice night last night and a lovely day today. Love you lots and lots
Rachel xxx
To Hiten Mistry (x-ray 7)
ReplyDeleteHi Hiten with Nayan at the moment (currently staying with us) how you doing, had a look at your blog, looks like your having fun. Bring me back a bananna leaf. Just come back from India and feeling tired so just chilling with Nayan and Lucky. How is food there, lost any weight Nayan is getting bigger here he just keeps eating. Anyway proud of the good work your doing, we are all missing you ( not really) see you back in the UK a changed man.
P.S Your in the wrong group for girls I'm sure Georgie will be pleased.
Proud Dipak Mama